House Price Crash Forum
Loanshark

The Age War Is Here - And The Young Are Losing It To The Old

What a great article, pity that this story is just going to be tommorrows fish and chips wrapper, as far as i am concerned it gives an insight as to why there are so many social problems today.

I am now in my early 40's, and in my opinion the generation before me had it cushy(60ish). They were born after the war, they were on strike for the stupidest of reasons, live on one wage, cheap housing, three day week.

My parents never grafted like we do today and for such little reward, and now they want it all today as well.

With all the infaltion that they had 20/30 years ago i would have said it was only 5 years into a mortgage before they were well on the way to paying it off without stress, and today they want all our homes as well.

It allways makes me laugh when you hear the baby boomers come out with a line like "i feel so sorry for the young familys today, trying to buy a home", and they then go off an buy second propertys.

The same theme was expressed by David McWilliams

The major difference in Ireland is that the redistribution of wealth via property has made the old richer and, more depressingly, the young poorer.

It has created a drone class of the over-45s - Ireland's accidental millionaires - who have seen their wealth increase enormously as their houses have soared in value. These drones are financed and indulged by a worker-bee class of the under-35s who are first-time buyers and renters.

Property buzz may yet have nasty sting in tail

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/Articles/vie...=&ArticleID=341

The Age War Is Here - And The Young Are Losing It To The Old

If only the younger generation would turn off Big Brother, get off their backsides and vote.

:(

There's going to be a rude awakening for many younger people as they get older. What makes it worse, is that the government will be taking steps to not only ensure that they are enslaved in debt, but trapped in the UK and unable to emmigrate if they want to choose that option.

I have little doubt that at some stage the younger generations will default on their obligations (obligations written by previous generations just at the same time as doors were successively locked as they passed through the system - pensions, free education, free healthcare (that's a joke you get charged for a lot of the day to day stuff) etc.

In the interim a lot of the young and able will leave - moving to a country where some of the same dynamics don't present quite such a lethal financial cocktail.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well this reminds me of the early 80s which is coming full circle again.

icas

May 21, 2006 02:58 AM

Unlike Andrew Rawnsley I do not know any fat cats like Brian but I do know a lot of people in their late forties or early fifties who have been kicked out of their jobs because their companies want to have a young "dynamic" age profile. An additonal incentive to get rid of the "older" employees is that younger people are paid less, thus increasing profits for the shareholders. The chances of finding decent jobs again are very low at their age. They cannot sell their houses to realize assets because they need a home and they have another 10-15 years on the dole or in low-paid jobs before they can claim their pension.

I have little doubt that at some stage the younger generations will default on their obligations (obligations written by previous generations just at the same time as doors were successively locked as they passed through the system - pensions, free education, free healthcare (that's a joke you get charged for a lot of the day to day stuff) etc.

In the interim a lot of the young and able will leave - moving to a country where some of the same dynamics don't present quite such a lethal financial cocktail.

See my above comment. I suspect the govenment will take a number of measures to ensure the young "life blood" is kept here to fund the older generation.

Pulled from the article;

We will have an older generation spending its wealth to make itself feel younger, while the younger generation gets old before its time.

Going back to the life blood of the country and future innovation, I can only see this getting squeezed out of the UK by the generation gap. It could of course change, but that would take something drastic (severe economic downturn, younger generation realising they've just been fleeced etc.).

There is also another much more fundamental problem in economic terms. The jobs market and industry are in a constant state of flux, even more so now the globalista's have had their way for the last decade or so. A dynamic and growing (real growth not just some useless monetary phenomenon) requires continual re-investment and the start-up of new small companies and one-offfs some of which may grow into larger businesses over time.

Recent concentration of money in the property market show that the boomer generation are a pretty myopic bunch who can only shovel their money into property - so no investment there, meanwhile strapped for cash the start-up rate for new ventures from the 20-30 somethings will wither away, the will not have the fianncial breathing space to do so or the tolerance level to risk captial that is hard to gain through earnings (as taxes and cost rise beyond earnings). The banks also play their part in this - a one-eyed donkey, they'l generally only lend for business at reasonable rates when there is a secured propety in the deal - well there isn't going to be one for many in the younger generation.

If only the younger generation would turn off Big Brother, get off their backsides and vote.

:(

There's going to be a rude awakening for many younger people as they get older. What makes it worse, is that the government will be taking steps to not only ensure that they are enslaved in debt, but trapped in the UK and unable to emmigrate if they want to choose that option.

What steps are you talking about. How are people to be prevented from emigrating.

Nine out of 10 people thought they could not afford to support their parents financially during old age, a study has shown.

Half of those surveyed thought their parents would be able to fund their own retirement through pensions and savings.

Only 14% said they would invite elderly mothers and fathers to come and live with them.

But 14% admitted they had no idea how their parent's old age would be funded, according to financial services group engage Mutual Assurance.

Around 39% said they would rely on the state to help.

But 17% said their parents would have to sell their home and the same proportion thought they would have to release equity from their property.

An eMA spokesman Karl Elliot said: "It's a concern that many people aren't aware of the costs of supporting their parents in old age, let alone what they can do to help make provisions for them, given the financial sacrifices these parents have made for their children.

"It is important that people consider how they will cope financially with old age, particularly if their younger and more senior dependants are increasingly looking to them for support."

:: YouGov questioned 1,581 people during February.

Older Parents Are Too Costly

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13524945,00.html

Edited by Green Bear

CTT: Well this reminds me of the early 80s which is coming full circle again.

funny you should say that. i was looking at regional incidences of assault. the norm is for the north to be more violent, but recently southern towns are becoming incresingly violent. they almost now match. the last time this happened by right before the last property crash. then things got really grim and i think the southerners reverted back to calm, while the north got a lot worse and led the way as regards mindless violence. this was mid 80s.

also pink was being worn by men and girls were loose and carefree. same now. no one gave a crap about regular life. yep. these are the social signals of an angry youth who are about to refuse to play the game.

football violence and vandalism will rise. the last time the acid house partys saved the day and channeled a generation into being benign, while looking subversive. which it wasnt. it was a plan.

todays youth are pretty thick. they are just about realising somethings up - but i dont think they quite know what. the pieces of life (work, family, homes) dont fit. is it them ? they dont know. confusion is king. frustration is building up. they fight each other other girls now. tomorrow they will be smashing things up because they have nothing.

come on 80s - lets ave it....we might be at the 1981 stage - so 4 more years to go.

also pink was being worn by men and girls were loose and carefree. same now. no one gave a crap about regular life. yep. these are the social signals of an angry youth who are about to refuse to play the game.

RFD - could you explain how men wearing pink can be seen to be a sign of their anger? :blink:

i can only say it from an obsevatory point of view. i just say what i see.

maybe they follow the fashion by peer presure, but inside feel girly....

eitherway - how was your town centre last night.?

Guest Winners and Losers

i can only say it from an obsevatory point of view. i just say what i see.

maybe they follow the fashion by peer presure, but inside feel girly....

eitherway - how was your town centre last night.?

Well, as you ask. Myself and a fellow HPC'er (name witheld for legal reasons), were out in my local town centre. Just the usual bunch of misguided youth aimlessly getting sh*tfaced. Had our last cigarette stolen, while we were otherwise occupied :unsure: . Anyway, on exiting the fine establishment we saw a guy (come to think of it I'm sure he was wearing a pink shirt) kick in the window of a shop for no apparent reason. Nobody seemed particularly shocked.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

i think the southerners reverted back to calm, while the north got a lot worse and led the way as regards mindless violence. this was mid 80s.

The North was decimated by the Thatcherite policies of the time. I remember Heseltine being appointed to look into the problems and his media publicised visit to Liverpool saying something must be done. All crocodile tears on his part as nothing really was done. This was the period where I knew life for many would never be the same again as we entered the loadsa money culture where personal greed was the order of the day.

Good article.

It puts my back up to hear older people bleating on about their 'hard work' getting them where they are. So often all they did was some average day job - turn up, do it.

What do young people do - sit in the sunshine all day?

It's not just house prices either. It's corporate culture. At my company there are management people in their 50s, approaching retirement at the same position as 'hotshots' in their late twenties or early thirties. The older employees would have spent much of their working life with a fraction of the stress and responsibilities as people coming into the 'same' roles now. What's more there's only about a third of management positions there was ten years ago. So where do entry level people go if there are so few bites of the cherry to progress? There are several junior-level managers stagnating who could easily do more, but there simply aren't the openings. Corporate culture wants everything centralised as possibleand as many people as possible on £6 per hour or less.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Glad the media are starting to pick up on this problem. It's something that's been discussed on HPC a number of times - everyone loves a good anti-boomer rant!

Where's CasualObserver, he normally enjoys these threads ;) CO: what do you make of Andrew Rawnsley's Observer article?

Good article.

It puts my back up to hear older people bleating on about their 'hard work' getting them where they are. So often all they did was some average day job - turn up, do it.

What do young people do - sit in the sunshine all day?

It's not just house prices either. It's corporate culture. At my company there are management people in their 50s, approaching retirement at the same position as 'hotshots' in their late twenties or early thirties. The older employees would have spent much of their working life with a fraction of the stress and responsibilities as people coming into the 'same' roles now. What's more there's only about a third of management positions there was ten years ago. So where do entry level people go if there are so few bites of the cherry to progress? There are several junior-level managers stagnating who could easily do more, but there simply aren't the openings. Corporate culture wants everything centralised as possibleand as many people as possible on £6 per hour or less.

I have delivered to many a bought council house you know. I look at this greying couple or they are on there own, in a three bed house. I know they were given it years ago and later bought it for a knock down price. And there's me struggling up the stairs with my mate and a 70 Kilo Electric bed, thinking, when do I get a chance at a family. When finish I go home to my bedsit to count the measerly wage from an insecure employer and I'm thinking wheres may trade union pay bargaining and worker rights.

And from that you may conclude I'm not qualified for a decent wage or something. Wrong, I got an HND but all the electronic firms have gone away, we is cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by deano

I'm certainly not paying the boomers way. If I have to pay my own way so can the boomers so you'd better start saving. And no, I won't be interested in buying your 4 wheel drive, your plasma will be out of date so they won't be worth anything

What steps are you talking about. How are people to be prevented from emigrating.

Exit visas. It worked for the commies in the USSR, it will work for the commies in the EUSSR.

The whole point of the EU is to prop up dying welfare states which are unaffordable at a national level: they're not going to have any qualms about imposing exit visas and refusing to let the productive people leave. That's why it's important to get out as soon as possible, not wait until things reach a crisis stage.

Exit visas. It worked for the commies in the USSR, it will work for the commies in the EUSSR.

The whole point of the EU is to prop up dying welfare states which are unaffordable at a national level: they're not going to have any qualms about imposing exit visas and refusing to let the productive people leave. That's why it's important to get out as soon as possible, not wait until things reach a crisis stage.

Mark. No one has suggested such a thing at an official level have they. Not that I know off!.

Of course not: it will be imposed far too quickly for anyone to escape when it happens.

Right, better start training to be good at some sport or other. Then I can seek asylum next time the Olympics are in a decent place!

NDL

And from that you may conclude I'm not qualified for a decent wage or something. Wrong, I got an HND but all the electronic firms have gone away, we is cheaper elsewhere.

The older generation established themselves when the only real competition for wealth and resources was from the west and Japan. The youth of today are competing with the west and Japan plus China, India, Russia etc. Not only that, education standards in this country have declined enormously at the same time they have improved elsewhere. My father's generation studied calculus at O level and Latin, imagine trying to teach that in modern Britain. I really don't see any reason for the standard of living in this country to be any higher than in those other countries.