House Price Crash Forum

:(

Have you been priced out for years and years ? Have you had sleepless nights worrying about the fact you are not on the housing ladder ? Have homeowners mocked you for not buying your own home yet ? Have they driven past you in their new 4x4 laughing at you because you are a saver ? Has your life been made a misery by the constant pressure to buy now pay later ?

If yes then read on.

Did you do the decent thing and hold on to your principles that if you can’t afford something then you shouldn’t buy it ? Have you lived humbly in order to save for the things you wanted to buy ?

Then I think your time has come ! :D

I have been waiting, worrying and stressing about house prices. People have mocked me because I don’t borrow money, I never have. They have flaunted their (fake) wealth in front of me while I have lived humbly. Now it looks like this stupid buy now never pay mess is coming to an end.

Its time to take revenge. B)

So savers and buyers, it’s your time now. We get to mock and laugh at the homeowners for a change. Let’s laugh out loud at how their greed and lack of self discipline has ruined their lives. I want to see BTL landlords living on the streets outside properties they used to own. I want a glut of second-hand 4x4 on the market for a quarter of the price. I want house prices to crash 40% at least. I want mass unemployment brought about by greedy estate agent redundancies. Revenge is so sweet.

So when you go to view a property from now on you call the shots. Laugh at the ridiculously small bedrooms, mock the estate agent blurb and pi$$ yourself at the asking price. Don’t weaken too soon, hold out and make those ba$tards suffer as much as you have. Never offer more than 40% of the current asking price. The longer you hold out the cheaper that house will be and the more sweet the revenge.

Bring it on and screw those greedy ba$tards into the ground ! :lol:

Guest Bart of Darkness
Have you been priced out for years and years ? Have you had sleepless nights worrying about the fact you are not on the housing ladder ? Have homeowners mocked you for not buying your own home yet ? Have they driven past you in their new 4x4 laughing at you because you are a saver ? Has your life been made a misery by the constant pressure to buy now pay later ?

Nope.

So in 2011 will we see a thread from Stillrighteous saying that prices can't fall, from their current peak, but do you want to buy a low mileage Audi Q7 ? I suggest that if circumstances were different, your righteousness may just have been pointing at stability, not crashes.

Good rant, but a little bit offensive to the majority, I suggest it's out of order to want prices to fall and mass unemployment and millions to be skint and homeless, I presume what you really want is your own place to live at a price you can afford.

This is one of the things I don't get about HPC, it's half full of people who don't be emotive, then we have stuff from the Mad Mullahs of Bearism who just reduce the credibility of the site. Of course you are entitled to that opinion, but it's a damned selfish one to wish ill on others rather than fortune on yourself.

then we have stuff from the Mad Mullahs of Bearism who just reduce the credibility of the site.

Yep, agree. Some posters come across as very bitter and twisted. The forum is often a conduit for their vitriol, rather than sensible debate on housing and associated matters. I'd hate to live my life feeling that way.

So when you go to view a property from now on you call the shots. Laugh at the ridiculously small bedrooms, mock the estate agent blurb and pi$$ yourself at the asking price. Don’t weaken too soon, hold out and make those ba$tards suffer as much as you have. Never offer more than 40% of the current asking price. The longer you hold out the cheaper that house will be and the more sweet the revenge.

I've just been to visit some friends in rural North Yorkshire. Its a fairly new development where they live, the development started about 5 years ago and has expanded accordingly. I drove down a few roads to get to their house and was absoluteley gobsmacked to see 31 (yes 31) houses up for sale.

It was just before christmas 2005 since I last visited these friends and can only recall 2 or 3 houses up for sale then.

Just wondered if these people have stretched themselves beyond their means, average wage around there is £16k and houses new going for 180k+, even with a joint wage the mortgage must be astronomical.

I bet you'd be able to get a good deal of money off the asking price there.

Strange thing is , its a very good area to live.

;)

If yes then read on.

Did you do the decent thing and hold on to your principles that if you can’t afford something then you shouldn’t buy it ? Have you lived humbly in order to save for the things you wanted to buy ?

Then I think your time has come ! :D

I have been waiting, worrying and stressing about house prices. People have mocked me because I don’t borrow money, I never have. They have flaunted their (fake) wealth in front of me while I have lived humbly. Now it looks like this stupid buy now never pay mess is coming to an end.

So savers and buyers, it’s your time now. We get to mock and laugh at the homeowners for a change. Let’s laugh out loud at how their greed and lack of self discipline has ruined their lives. I want to see BTL landlords living on the streets outside properties they used to own. I want a glut of second-hand 4x4 on the market for a quarter of the price. I want house prices to crash 40% at least. I want mass unemployment brought about by greedy estate agent redundancies. Revenge is so sweet.

I don’t think I could be like that, Righteous (Whoever gave you that name)it would be bad for my soul.

Hmmmmmmm....

I know that this post is written with some anger, resentment and hope but I DO NOT agree with 50% of what you put. I do not under any circumstances rejoice at unemployment! Yes I would not shed a tear if every EA in the country went TITS UP but I certainly would not like to see people homeless.

The gist of you post is good but you got a bit carried away at the end. Only offer 40% of asking price???? Are you for real????

As prices come down the asking price is more likely to be the right price.

EG:

Today

asking £250,000 - Ceiling price £230,000 - Price 5 years ago £120,000

2 years from now (ceiling is for that year)

asking £210,000 - Ceiling price £200,000 - Sold price £180,000

3 years from now (ceiling is for that year)

asking £175,000 - Ceiling price £180,000 - Sold price £160,000

4 years from now (ceiling is for that year)

asking £150,000 - Ceiling price £155,000 - Sold price £145,000

As you can see the sold price to asking price get closer as the prices asked will be realistic or even competitive! If you bought for £145,000 in 4 years that is roughlt 40% of todays asking price but is 97% of asking price that period.

Yes I want all the speculators to get OUT OF HOUSING. I do not have any SYMPATHY with people who have borrowed too much on an I/O Mortgage without considering IR rises. I despise MOST EA's and other VI's but I know that our day will come.

The only gloating I MIGHT be doing is possible waiting another 5 years. Saving everything and then buying a housee CASH!!! No mortgage!!! Then I would simply say to all those people that thought I was a fool "Who's the fool now then?, sorry must dash, Off to LA to see U2 in concern" - caio! :lol:

TB

So in 2011 will we see a thread from Stillrighteous saying that prices can't fall, from their current peak, but do you want to buy a low mileage Audi Q7 ? I suggest that if circumstances were different, your righteousness may just have been pointing at stability, not crashes.

Good rant, but a little bit offensive to the majority, I suggest it's out of order to want prices to fall and mass unemployment and millions to be skint and homeless, I presume what you really want is your own place to live at a price you can afford.

This is one of the things I don't get about HPC, it's half full of people who don't be emotive, then we have stuff from the Mad Mullahs of Bearism who just reduce the credibility of the site. Of course you are entitled to that opinion, but it's a damned selfish one to wish ill on others rather than fortune on yourself.

Agree Rachman!

Why should wanting house prices to fall be linked to mass unemployment and millions to be skint and homeless?

I want house prices to fall. I don't want millions to be unemployed, skint, and homeless. Why do you link these?

Billy Shears

I guess the point is, that most people aren't greedy bastards. Most people just do not think. They are getting on with their lives, trying to live the way everyone else does. They do not question it.

I'll give you an example. I visited a friend recently. He's just moved out of London to a very pleasant commuter town. This move took place a couple of months ago. He has a decent job with potential to earn a bit more in the future, a wife and two young children. I had a great time with them. He's really pleased with the move, and inevitably we got to chatting about his recent purchase. Now, bear in mind, this is a very intelligent guy. He is unaware of my views on housing, I generally just fob people off when they ask why I rent, by saying something like I can't be bothered with the hassle of buying at the moment. I know from his previous house purchase history roughly how much equity he has taken with him. He has always gone the IO route. Anyway, he told me that they found this house and offered the asking price, because "they didn't want to lose it". The survey came back with a few things wrong so they managed to knock £5000 off the price. The house cost in excess of £750000. I estimate his mortgage is around £500000, roughly 5-6X his earnings.

The point here is that here is an intelligent guy, and he hasn't thought a major purchase through. He has just gone with the crowd. Done what everyone else has done, not really looked for alternative viewpoints. I would hate anything bad to happen to him, his wife or children, he's one of my oldest friends. This is why I can feel no bitterness, because in most cases it is just people not thinking, that has resulted in the current situation.

Why should wanting house prices to fall be linked to mass unemployment and millions to be skint and homeless?

I want house prices to fall. I don't want millions to be unemployed, skint, and homeless. Why do you link these?

Billy Shears

Niether do I, but the original poster does. The problem will be that a large fall in house prices (as opposed to stagnation) will be prefaced by several things all starting to happen, interest rates rising, the easy credit taps being turned off and unemployment..... it may not take all of them in the same amounts, but without a doubt, rising unemployment will be a cause and an effect.....

He has always gone the IO route. Anyway, he told me that they found this house and offered the asking price, because "they didn't want to lose it". The survey came back with a few things wrong so they managed to knock £5000 off the price. The house cost in excess of £750000. I estimate his mortgage is around £500000, roughly 5-6X his earnings.

You see, this is the thing I don't get - must be fairly 'bright' to be making £80K plus. But in a market where you need to be making £100K clear 'profit' to make it worth your while moving, is he confident that this house will go up to £900K fairly quickly. If it's not, it's a lot of rent (interest only mortgage and loss of income on equity). I would also have thought £5K is sod all on 3/4 of a Bar.

Not selfish at all.........

There was a time not so long ago when two working people could choose where they wanted to live together and start a family....... I think he is referring to the greed of many people being 'considerably richer than yow' because they have two carcraft loans.....

Millions ARE skint and without their own home already..... A proper recession would put everybody on a level pitch in the end..... And those who wish to have a life could do so without going over the top with borrowing....

It is a matter of timing..... Now is not the time to buy a house whereas ten years ago was..... The time shall come again, rather sooner than later for many........

You see, this is the thing I don't get - must be fairly 'bright' to be making £80K plus. But in a market where you need to be making £100K clear 'profit' to make it worth your while moving, is he confident that this house will go up to £900K fairly quickly. If it's not, it's a lot of rent (interest only mortgage and loss of income on equity). I would also have thought £5K is sod all on 3/4 of a Bar.

I said in excess of £750000, in fact, just a shade under £800000! I nearly choked on my beer when he told me how much he'd paid.

I totally agree with you, madness. He just hasn't thought about anything other than putting a roof over his familys' head. The really telling comment was that he will be moving to somewhere larger in 5-6 years. I bit my tongue at that point, as I say, he's a mate and I'd hate to get into serious debate over such an emotive issue.

Guest mattsta1964

Oh dear! Someone's been eating bile sandwiches this morning

Geezzzz…. I have only been away a short while to take a phone call look at all the posts. Perhaps this is a sign that you also see that greed and mew’ing is coming to an end.

Obviously I can’t reply to all posts so far but you have got one sentence I wrote all wrong.

“I want mass unemployment brought about by greedy estate agent redundancies.”

Please read this sentence more carefully, it means estate agents. I don’t know how else to explain it to you. I think you were too keen to criticise without reading what I wrote. Talk about following the herd, just like the housing market.

I've just been to visit some friends in rural North Yorkshire. Its a fairly new development where they live, the development started about 5 years ago and has expanded accordingly. I drove down a few roads to get to their house and was absoluteley gobsmacked to see 31 (yes 31) houses up for sale.

It was just before christmas 2005 since I last visited these friends and can only recall 2 or 3 houses up for sale then.

Just wondered if these people have stretched themselves beyond their means, average wage around there is £16k and houses new going for 180k+, even with a joint wage the mortgage must be astronomical.

I bet you'd be able to get a good deal of money off the asking price there.

Strange thing is , its a very good area to live.

That’s great news it does seem to prove we are finally starting to see common sense returning.

Revenge on the estate agents who have hyped the market putting many at the risk of negative equity. As for the unemployment I do wish you would read the sentence in full.

I want mass unemployment brought about by greedy ESTATE AGENT REDUNDANCIES

I guess the point is, that most people aren't greedy bastards.

I beg to differ.

There was a time not so long ago when two working people could choose where they wanted to live together and start a family....... I think he is referring to the greed of many people being 'considerably richer than yow' because they have two carcraft loans.....

You understand very well, ...............our time has come.

“I want mass unemployment brought about by greedy estate agent redundancies.”

I read the one about not offering more than 40% of the asking price carefully too. You will be wasting a lot of your time over the foreseeable future then....

I read the one about not offering more than 40% of the asking price carefully too.

I doubt you did

"Never offer more than 40% of the CURRENT asking price."

Current as in NOW. What prices are now…. CURRENTLY. I think a few on this thread have been way too keen to criticise rather than to read what I actually said. :huh:

I doubt you did

"Never offer more than 40% of the CURRENT asking price."

Current as in NOW. What prices are now…. CURRENTLY. I think a few on this thread have been way too keen to criticise rather than to read what I actually said. :huh:

Right, so you are intimating that there is likely to be a more than 60% fall in sales prices from current asking prices...... and therefore a likely 50% plus fall in selling prices. I hate to let you down, but that's NOT going to happen for any property you would want to buy. I wish you luck, but you will only do that once with each agent..... I can't see you getting many agreeing to show you properties after you have done that. You seem to be forgetting that the money go round is not all BTL and FTBs - a lot of persons (be they individual, foreign or corporates) have an awful lot of money (cash money) that they have to spend..... if they see opportunity, they will be in well before that level (and so will I).

With respect, give me an indication of the kind of property you expect to sell for 60% less than current asking prices and also tell us if you would buy it..... (which I guess discounts all of those 2 bed exec flats).

If you look at your numbers, you are saying that an asking price today is 150% higher than what you consider an offer worth making......... - oh come on.

Edited by Rachman

Right, so you are intimating that there is likely to be a more than 60% fall in sales prices from current asking prices

No just offer 60% less than the current asking prices, to shake them up a bit. Let them know times are changing and things are only going to get worse. In reality it will be an offer 10 – 20 percent less than the true value. Offer low and work up a bit.

and therefore a likely 50% plus fall in selling prices.

About that although I did say 40%.

“I want house prices to crash 40% at least.”

If you look at your numbers, you are saying that an asking price today is 150% higher than what you consider an offer worth making

No I think they are 40% over valued. 50% off would be better !

Billy Shears

Unfortunately it's a bit of a one horse economy if house prices go so does the economy, it's all a a very good illusion we lose if they are to high and we lose when they crash, we don't make much in this country anymore, and most wealth is imaginary like housing wealth and has been used to fund more debt which funds a retail economy etc

As much as I want house prices to fall, I am a realist, when they do they will take this economy with it, there will be lots of unemployment as a result, and many FTB's won't be in a secure enough position to get a mortgage, if they are in work at all.

When house prices crash unfortunately owner occupiers will loose out as well, but remember that it isn’t their money anyway, it’s the banks. They have just lived in a nice house that belongs to the bank and now the time has come for them to hand it back.

Anyone who takes a mortgage out in this country has to be over 18, an adult. So it is their responsibility to make sure they can afford the repayments and the price they are paying is right for the property they are buying. If they outbid someone to get the house they wanted they are guilty of pushing up the prices for everyone else.

They made the sensible people who waited for a house price correction suffer so now it’s payback. If you have to listen to sob stories from anyone about how much they have lost remember it was never their money in the first place.

House prices go up, house prices go down, always have done and they always will.