House Price Crash Forum
Chrysalis

Tenant Discrimination

What are the thoughts of discrimination showed today.

I frequently see ads saying NO DSS or less common, no temps, no agency workers.

Is this unfair discrimination?

I will open myself here and admit I claim housing benefit but in almost 3 years of tenancy have no arrears and never missed a payment.

I have found the market to be very dismissive and seems to make assumptions that anyone on benefit will be an unreliable tenant.

It is quite possible for someone to be in a well paid job and be unreliable with rent and be a bad tenant.

Is it really the case from you landlords on here that any DSS tenants you have had are unreliable, thanks would be interested to know.

I dont expect my landlord to be out of pocket, whenever there is a situation where their is a gap in benefit I make sure the rent is paid and provide him with a gaurantor.

Depends what you mean by unfair. If you mean is it perhaps getting close to breaching some kind of law, then no, nowhere near. Rightly or wrongly, HB tenants(DSS no longer exists) have a fairly bad reputation, and for this reason I can understand the reasoning behind having a blanket ban. Also, and this is definitely an increasing reason, housing benefit departments tend to be a nightmare to deal with, and any overpayments get reclaimed from the landlord, hence a lot of landlords do not want this kind of hassle. However, a prudent landlord would not neccessarily rule anything out, as they could miss out on some great tenants. With regards agency and temp workers, it is difficult to take on such prospective tenants knowing that, by definition, their salary is extremely unstable.

The main reason has to be mortgage providers. Every one of my mortgages states that I am only allowed to take on employed tenants, that I am not allowed to take on tenants claiming housing benefits. To prove I have done this I always ask for proof of employment from incoming tenants.

So people taking DSS tenants either have less competetive mortgages, have no mortgage, or are ignoring their mortgage conditions.

thanks for replies guys, and I do agree to an extenct that their is serious problems with the benefit system.

It needs overhauling so it covers things like desposits and be ready to pay for when you move in, and then they should commit to length of tenancy (annual for example). This I believe would offer some sort of stability to landlords. I know myself how hard they are to deal with needing my MP to prod them to sort things out.

I was completely unaware that mortgages state this so thanks for that insight to.

With regards to myself, when I moved here I was employed and my landlord did need employment evidence, its during my time here my circumstances changed, now obviously I have a track record with my landlord now so I would guess in my case it is certianly much less a gamble.

However what interests me that is I know a few people on benefits, usually women with kids that rent privately and were in that situation when they moved in. So like you said either they breaching their mortgage, own the property outright or they allowed to. I am sure their must be others around the country as well as their certianly isnt enough council properties to cover benefit claimants, and I feel the system itself (no fault to landlords since they have to honour their mortgages) needs to be adjusted to be less discriminative.

The govt is making things even worse for DSS tenants by paying housing benefit directly to tenants. I believe the idea is that it will allow them access to the private rentals market as they can pay rent directly.

But instead the social housing LL's are being forced to chase these tenants and councils for arrears while the tenants spend the money on drugs ( ;) but I'm sure a few have) instead of rent.

Soon enough even social LL's might be turning DSS tenants away.

My tennant is a single mother claiming benifits. Luckily she is a friend and I know that she is very tidy.

I have consent from my lender to let to the DSS and I am more than happy. I get paid every 4 weeks by cheque direct from the council and so I save myself the 10% EA fee.

Having said that I wouldn't rent to the DSS unless i'd met the people that were going to live in my flat. Not that I have a problem with them. Just that if they met me they would appreciate that it is my flat and not a place belonging to the council.

I think they treat council houses worse than privately owned properties because they know the council have an obligation to wait on them hand and foot.

This isn't always the case of course. But even i'd take better care of a privately owned property than one belonging to the council.

My tennant is a single mother claiming benifits. Luckily she is a friend and I know that she is very tidy.

I have consent from my lender to let to the DSS and I am more than happy. I get paid every 4 weeks by cheque direct from the council and so I save myself the 10% EA fee.

Having said that I wouldn't rent to the DSS unless i'd met the people that were going to live in my flat. Not that I have a problem with them. Just that if they met me they would appreciate that it is my flat and not a place belonging to the council.

I think they treat council houses worse than privately owned properties because they know the council have an obligation to wait on them hand and foot.

This isn't always the case of course. But even i'd take better care of a privately owned property than one belonging to the council.

Are you paying a higher interest rate for that type of mortgage? What rate are you paying? I pay 5.24% & I believe the restrictions are a part of the competetive IR.

I will accept that benefit claimants are probably more likely to be less savvy with their money and as such spend their housing benefit on things other then rent.

But I can defenitly see why they allow rent to be paid direct to claimants because people simply probably have to lie about where the cash comes from to get themselves a roof over their head.

Also the new system for housing benefit (not in all areas yet) will pay the average going rent for the area so in some cases it would pay more then what the tenants rent is and they profit from it if its excessive so would be hassle for the landlord then to pay back the excess and possibly encourage the landlord to increase his rent.

I guess due to the irresponsbility of some people all of us get tarred with the same brush and have limited choice of places to live.

I think maybe if the claimaint is DSS alternative checks can be used for example asking for references of previous landlord(s) covering 3 year period.

If they have lived at one property for last 3 years and got no arrears the chances are they not going to break that behaviour, and I think thats probably more valuable then someone who say is in a job but only been employed for 3 months and has just came from their parents or short term tenancy.

Are you paying a higher interest rate for that type of mortgage? What rate are you paying? I pay 5.24% & I believe the restrictions are a part of the competetive IR.

I pay 5.99% but not because I let to the DSS. My btl is a victorian conversion which not many lenders will touch with a barge pole. It's not the best rate I know but then I don't offer the same security you can offer to your lender;ie you have plenty of equity and this was my first btl.

This rate was arranged before my friend asked to rent my flat. After informing my lender they didn't seem concerned because the rent is nearly 1.5 x the monthly payments.

Hopefully the next time I take out a mortgage I will be in a better position to command a better rate.

I pay 5.99% but not because I let to the DSS. My btl is a victorian conversion which not many lenders will touch with a barge pole. It's not the best rate I know but then I don't offer the same security you can offer to your lender;ie you have plenty of equity and this was my first btl.

This rate was arranged before my friend asked to rent my flat. After informing my lender they didn't seem concerned because the rent is nearly 1.5 x the monthly payments.

Hopefully the next time I take out a mortgage I will be in a better position to command a better rate.

Good luck with it. When you have the equity, make sure to re-mortgage!