House Price Crash Forum
Chrysalis

Tenancy Agreement

Hi having had copies of my previous 3 tenancy agreements I find myself wanting the original when I move.

Is the tenant legally supposed to have the original rather then copy or does the law not specify this?

thanks.

TTRTR....you concern me. The question was a perfectly valid one, and one which I will admit(despite apparently being one of the main contributors in this section of the forums) I do not know the answer to. It concerns me because with your post number etc, you give an impression that you know a lot about rental, when it is obvious from some other posts that you do not. Please, in future do not post unless it is going to be useful.

well my sisters bf told me its the tenants right but I couldnt find any info on it so its curiousity mainly. Regarding TTRTR reply yeah I think thats a one sided reply since the tenancy agreement is essentially a contract between two people, but if I am not mistaken its normally the person buying services that woukd get the original like a mortgage agreement where the bank has the copy or simply 2 copies are signed.

I think what I may do is ask for us both to just sign 1 copy each.

TTRTR....you concern me. The question was a perfectly valid one, and one which I will admit(despite apparently being one of the main contributors in this section of the forums) I do not know the answer to. It concerns me because with your post number etc, you give an impression that you know a lot about rental, when it is obvious from some other posts that you do not. Please, in future do not post unless it is going to be useful.

Do you mean the definition of an HMO?

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1164086

well my sisters bf told me its the tenants right but I couldnt find any info on it so its curiousity mainly. Regarding TTRTR reply yeah I think thats a one sided reply since the tenancy agreement is essentially a contract between two people, but if I am not mistaken its normally the person buying services that woukd get the original like a mortgage agreement where the bank has the copy or simply 2 copies are signed.

I think what I may do is ask for us both to just sign 1 copy each.

Do you think I hold the original mortgage documents?

Yeah, I saw them when I signed them and took my chance to get a copy at the time. But if I were to hold the original, how on earth would the bank bring me to account if I stopped paying the loan?

:lol::lol:

my sister has her original mortgage documents.

the bank holds the original deeds to the property tho.

Yeah right. I think you're mistaking a copy for an original.

If your opening question asked whether the tenant was entitled to a copy of the original tenancy agreement, my asnwer would have been yes.

I've rented twice, both times through an agent. Both times was given two identical tenancy agreements and asked to sign both. Landlord then signed both and we were given one each.

No idea what the law requires, but having an original each seems the way to go. It's always worth taking copies too in case one of the originals isn't returned.

Elvis-Has-Sold-The-Building yeah thats what I am going to do.

The problem with copies that the 2 occasions I have needed to show my rent details for financial reasons they have been rejected because they are not printed signatures.