House Price Crash Forum
Flick

Am I The Only One

reposted from the largely ignored website forum, mods please spank me hard if I am out of line :)

Sorry to moan, as I'm sure you guys are putting a lot of effort in to it,

but I think the new style blog really sucks.

What was wrong with just the first paragraph of the news story as before?

Now I am greeted with a spun view of what the author thinks the news story was about, and his opinions on it.

Its really very condescending to paraphrase a story to your users, most of us I'm sure are more than capable of making up our own mind on an article.

Previously I could scan the first paragraph and decide for myself if I wanted to read it. Now I have to read someone elses opinion of the article, before making that decision. It *was* a great place to catch some of the days bearish headlines. I'll be giving it a miss if it stays as is.

Just my thoughts - what do others think?

Edited by Flick

reposted from the largely ignored website forum, mods please spank me hard if I am out of line :)

Now I am greeted with a spun view of what the author thinks the news story was about, and his opinions on it.

Its really very condescending to paraphrase a story to your users, most of us I'm sure are more than capable of making up our own mind on an article.

Previously I could scan the first paragraph and decide for myself if I wanted to read it. Now I have to read someone elses opinion of the article, before making that decision. It *was* a great place to catch some of the days bearish headlines. I'll be giving it a miss if it stays as is.

I agree with you.

I don't agree. I think that the blog has improved 100%. There are more articles (I think) being posted than before, and what previews the blog is usually fairly accurate. If you don't want to be open to others' opinons on what the articles are about, you could just read them for yourself.

I argee with the original post.

I strongly dislike the summary of the article. The article has been previously written with thought & skill in the first place, by summarising it the authors stance is often lost. I find myself reading articles I would normally miss through choice.

Secondly, the old Blog had the last two days worth of news, not just 10. So to keep abreast of the news I find I have to read it twice a day not once every two days (yes I do know there is the Blog page).

Several colleagues I had previously recommended the site to for this article collection have complained to me and have now stopped viewing the site.

Hope this helps, as otherwise I find the site excellent, almost addictive!

I would also like to thank all those that have posted on here for the last 18 months or so, that have educated me in economics, housing issues and sometimes politics!

JJ

I sort of agree with the first post. I do think the summary should be the first, (and second ?) paragraph of the article as you will find articles are written to give a brief summary/intro at the start anyway.

However, the the blog is far better in that more articles can be added by users. Although I think users need to make sure the subject has not already been added.

Also, I think the blog can be further improved by allowing a section to add several URLs. E.g. when, say, the Haliwide report comes out there will be 10 or so articles which spin it in every way possible. It would be good to have the report mentioned once, with all the other article URLs below (but no summary). Maybe if you could enable the comments to have clickable URLs (rather than just text)?

Also, can the default view be today, or last two days. If they are more than 10 articles listed in one day the earlier ones could be missed.

What do you think to that?

I agree, I don't like the new style, I prefered the first paragraph from the original story a lot.

However is it not the case that have made this change to avoid copyright issues?

I think it should be simplified. I agree that an 8 line intro into the article is a little too much. If the headline grabs someone then they will click the link.

I think its neither better nor worse.

TB

I think it should be simplified. I agree that an 8 line intro into the article is a little too much. If the headline grabs someone then they will click the link.

I think its neither better nor worse.

TB

Heres an easy one to pick out from today-

Its a clutter to - two headlines - first the hpc 'take', then the official one -

Spectrum offering 90% mortgages to bankrupt clients

Firstrung: Spectrum launches mortgage range for those subject to bankruptcy orders

What benefit does this replication give to anyone? I had no problem understanding the original!

The blog continues:

Cue jokes of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons as surely lending practice has now reached fantasy land? The products, which cover from light to heavy adverse, include a choice of two- and three-year fixed rates starting from 5.89 per cent. All pricing is based on Bank Base Rate and mortgages are available up to 90 per cent loan-to-value (LTV) on both a full status and self-cert basis.

as opposed to:

Spectrum Lending has launched a range of mortgages aimed at individuals who are subject to bankruptcy orders.

The products, which cover from light to heavy adverse, include a choice of two- and three-year fixed rates starting from 5.89 per cent. All pricing is based on Bank Base Rate and mortgages are available up to 90 per cent loan-to-value (LTV) on both a full status and self-cert basis.

This is pure spin- mandelson would be proud of it - I can see him whispering in blairs ear now.. 'lets get our spin on the article before anyone even gets to read it!!!'

If this was the bbc we'd all be sending emails of complaint!

Edited by Flick

The new blog contains too many irrelevant articles and too much waffle. I like www.in2perspective.co.uk for a summary of relevant articles.

Heres an easy one to pick out from today-

Its a clutter to - two headlines - first the hpc 'take', then the official one -

Spectrum offering 90% mortgages to bankrupt clients

Firstrung: Spectrum launches mortgage range for those subject to bankruptcy orders

What benefit does this replication give to anyone? I had no problem understanding the original!

The blog continues:

Cue jokes of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons as surely lending practice has now reached fantasy land? The products, which cover from light to heavy adverse, include a choice of two- and three-year fixed rates starting from 5.89 per cent. All pricing is based on Bank Base Rate and mortgages are available up to 90 per cent loan-to-value (LTV) on both a full status and self-cert basis.

as opposed to:

Spectrum Lending has launched a range of mortgages aimed at individuals who are subject to bankruptcy orders.

The products, which cover from light to heavy adverse, include a choice of two- and three-year fixed rates starting from 5.89 per cent. All pricing is based on Bank Base Rate and mortgages are available up to 90 per cent loan-to-value (LTV) on both a full status and self-cert basis.

This is pure spin- mandelson would be proud of it - I can see him whispering in blairs ear now.. 'lets get our spin on the article before anyone even gets to read it!!!'

If this was the bbc we'd all be sending emails of complaint!

Oops, I thought I was being humourous :o I was posting just the headline and the intro. to the article, was asked to change it by the powers that be...confused now <_< What happens if I wirte the article myself, am I allowed to put my own barbed sarcy comments with it, or is that me as part of the Firstrung team putting my own spin on things? :rolleyes:

Oops, I thought I was being humourous :o I was posting just the headline and the intro. to the article, was asked to change it by the powers that be...confused now <_< What happens if I wirte the article myself, am I allowed to put my own barbed sarcy comments with it, or is that me as part of the Firstrung team putting my own spin on things? :rolleyes:

I'm interested, why were you asked to change it?

You can put whatever you want, but my view is that the blog is (was) a NEWS source, news has enough spin, it doesn't need rephrasing, retitling, repeating or dumbing down for HPC readers - let us make up our own mind about it!

Judging by other commments, with the exception of one, it is pretty unpopular.

I do seem to be in the minority.

Can I suggest that someone with sufficient techno skills starts a vote on the topic?

"I love the new blog"

"I hate the new blog and yearn for the old one"

"The new blog is good, but needs a tinker"

B)

Edited by nimmmm

I do seem to be in the minority.

Can I suggest that someone with sufficient techno skills starts a vote on the topic?

"I love the new blog"

"I hate the new blog and yearn for the old one"

"The new blog is good, but needs a tinker"

B)

I like the wider variety of articles....but not the waffling intro's.

Agree! The presentation of the new Blog is poor indeed. The paraphrased interpretations of the articles that are used as introductions come across as aimed at simpletons (average Sun readers perhaps?) and sometimes bear no relation to what the article is actually saying. Very condescending sensationalised “spin” the very thing most contributors on this site detest. Perhaps the site is being “dumbed down” to appeal to a wider audience so that advertising rates can be increased? Not a good change IMO.

I'm interested, why were you asked to change it?

You can put whatever you want, but my view is that the blog is (was) a NEWS source, news has enough spin, it doesn't need rephrasing, retitling, repeating or dumbing down for HPC readers - let us make up our own mind about it!

Judging by other commments, with the exception of one, it is pretty unpopular.

I agree, I dont want news articles pre spun before they are posted, imagine this.................................................only two subscribers posting news Without a Paddle in one corner and Realist Bear in the other, now how Scarry is that :D

Ok plus side is more articles, but they do seem to be replicated at times.

preferred the unspun variety, and don't like the current format. Another point is that this will be one of the first things new vistors see when they come here. This site has a clear and important mission and folks don't need to be beaten over the head with overspun intros of variable quality. If the article looks interesting, people will read the opinions and make up their own minds. IMO this give the site greater credibility and makes it look less like a cult. As it is, IMHO the blog is now only preaching to the converted.

TLM

Edited by trompe le monde

I totally agree. The media spin the news, then the poster spins the news. All very confusing I would like to see the story as published and then decipher / unspin the info.

I do like the extra stories being added tho'

Well it seems very unpopular to almost everyone responding - may I ask webmaster or fubra what the thinking behind this change is?

Top one today to tell us:

A brief article which indicates how little cash UK consumers have to spend. Sadly the quality of journalism is poor and there is no mention of how the figures were calculated. If the UK consumer has little cash, it increases the risks faced by a consumer-driven economy.

Rather than the punchy:

The average person has just £27 a week to live on after meeting all their bills & outgoings.

I'm so glad someone took the time to read 100 words for me, critique it, and let me know (in nice simple terms) that If the UK consumer has little cash, it increases the risks faced by a consumer-driven economy.

Well it seems very unpopular to almost everyone responding - may I ask webmaster or fubra what the thinking behind this change is?

I guess not then.