House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laurejon

Can Anyone Remember The Liberal Party?.

Well if you can, you can understand why nobody ever elected them into office.

Lib Dems plan a £2,000 road tax

Maybe the Conservatives have been handing out free bottles of bubbly for ladies in the commons bar today to toast the weeks success.

'We are not the Liberal Democrats!':

http://www.liberal.org.uk/general/notlds.htm

We are the Liberals who opposed the 1988 merger of the Liberal and Social Democratic Parties, believing the resulting hybrid to represent an inadequate vehicle for liberalism. We resolved to maintain the Liberal Party as a separate force in British politics. Here's why.

I don't understand why they don't just scrap road tax and stick a bit extra on petrol duty so the petrol costs of any individual are directly linked to the fuel-consumption of their car and to the amount of use they make of the roads.

Edited by Bingley Bloke

Guest horace

>>>> Bingley Bloke.

you posted

"I don't understand why they don't just scrap road tax and stick a bit extra on petrol duty "

If road fund duties were abolished, ie the tax disc, there would would be no means of determining who owned a particular vehicle. So hit and run drivers (for example) in unregistered vehicles would be very difficult to trace.

h.

I don't understand why they don't just scrap road tax and stick a bit extra on petrol duty so the petrol costs of any individual are directly linked to the fuel-consumption of their car and to the amount of use they make of the roads.

They've already done that, but the government want to have their cake and eat it.

I.E., tax in petrol & road tax on top too.

>>>> Bingley Bloke.

you posted

"I don't understand why they don't just scrap road tax and stick a bit extra on petrol duty "

If road fund duties were abolished, ie the tax disc, there would would be no means of determining who owned a particular vehicle. So hit and run drivers (for example) in unregistered vehicles would be very difficult to trace.

h.

What?? Tax discs don't identify the car.

The registration plate is for identification (details update via V5 form). WTF are you on about?

Because it would shaft people on average wages who have to use a car to commute to work, because of inadequate public transport and/or rampant HPI prevents them living near their place of work.

Meanwhile, Pippa, who drives Ginny and Timmy to right up to the school in the 4.5L Rangey (to avoid any encounters with horrid council-house kids who'll give them nits and teach them bad words) isn't going to worry much about tapping hubby for an extra £20 fuel money a week from his commodity-trading salary.

Net effect of extra fuel taxation - further gravitation towards urban centres (with concomitant further gentrification of rural areas). And only despicable, rich, middle-aged boy racers like Jeremy Clarkson will be able to afford to drive.

Tax roads...with punitively high taxes where public transport is available. I want the middle classes to be forced to sit next to me on buses, so I can affront them by burping, attempting to engage them in over-friendly, swear-ridden conversations and having the smell of drink on my breath at 3 in the afternoon.

Not our sort of people, dear!

Only Lowenbrau can do this.

Well if you can, you can understand why nobody ever elected them into office.

Lib Dems plan a £2,000 road tax

£2000 for the priviledge of using the roads?

Sounds like a ******ing bargain compared to the £1000 I have to pay the useless labour ****s just to empty my bin (sometimes)!

Guest Bart of Darkness

plenty of people have no road tax. it's not so easy to get away with not paying for petrol.

Would it not reduce administration costs as well?

Don't forget their great idea of a local income tax instead of council tax :) Good election winner that one.

The recent debacle of the leadership challenge killed them all off

Edited by mercsl