House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I_hate_Sheffield_EAs

I Despair In Sheffield

Hi

this appeared on the agents website this afternoon

As you can easily see its at double what anything else has ever sold for on this street.

I just phoned the agent up to laugh at them but was told it is already under offer at asking and the vendor is keeping viewings coming over the weekend.

How stupid do you have to be to not see what the going rate should be?

How stupid is the agent in this valuation?

Will the surveyor confirm its true value?

I have now officially lost all hope.

I_Hate

it looks very cute but that's an awful lot of money :blink:

i'm always suspicious when EAa don't post interior photos, makes like there's something to hide.

A Sheffield house at Bath prices. That didn't happen last time arround, so yes this time it really is different. You'll be able to buy one of those for £195k at the bottom in 2008.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

Edited by Pablo-silver or lead?

To be fair, it's a 5 bedder in beautiful Dore.

Just think... if you bought there your kids could go to King Ecgbert's School....

Would thi like fries wi'tha borger?

Edited by aussieboy

Guest Bart of Darkness
To be fair, it's a 5 bedder in beautiful Dore.

This is true. A 5 bedder in Beighton might come in at £225,000. Add in the Dore factor and you might expect another £100,000 added on (Dore, for those not familiar with Sheffield, is an über posh area of the city). £390,000 is pushing it a bit though!

All these prices are bubbliciously mad in my opinion!

Ok so its 'benchmarked market value is circa' £320 k in todays market. The EA/Vendor a flying a kite at £390k to see if a mug will bite. If someone pays £390k for at house at the top that is worth £320k and prices fall 30% (and they will certanly do this in the markets that have gone up the most) then they'll be holding a house worth about £208k and all the purchase costs. Easy up easy down, as many areas have simply risen on a tide of artificially cheap money post 9/11. That historic blip in normal IR setting behavior is over. If the comming storm belongs to one man its the previous US Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan.

I gurantee most of the muppet BTL investors and 'young Professional' couples buying overpriced terraces and £220K lux/Exec/Metro Central Living 2 bed appartment in Northern cities never heard of the guy.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

Ok so its 'benchmarked market value is circa' £320 k in todays market. The EA/Vendor a flying a kite at £390k to see if a mug will bite. If someone pays £390k for at house at the top that is worth £320k and prices fall 30% (and they will certanly do this in the markets that have gone up the most) then they'll be holding a house worth about £208k and all the purchase costs. Easy up easy down, as many areas have simply risen on a tide of artificially cheap money post 9/11. That historic blip in normal IR setting behavior is over. If the comming storm belongs to one man its the previous US Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan.

I gurantee most of the muppet BTL investors and 'young Professional' couples buying overpriced terraces and £220K lux/Exec/Metro Central Living 2 bed appartment in Northern cities never heard of the guy.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

Com'm'ing only has one 'm' - ask cornwall sceptic - he likes to point our spelling and grammatical errors to people.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I don't normally search for properties in Dore (I'll never be that rich). However, a search for houses with 5 bedrooms or more led me to

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-116...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

So approx. 350k seems to be the "correct" price for a 5 bedder in Dore.

The 390k example still seems waaaaay overpriced, even judged by today's prices.

OMFG!

I just phoned the agent, Im obsessed with the stupidity here.

They have had it ramped up to 420k and they are still showing new people round.

Its utter madness.

Especially when you look at what they sold for on the road recently.

Im genuinely astounded.

All of the bad press about the market and still people buy into the myth

I_Hate

PS Actually what bugs me the most was when I phoned up for a laugh last week, the day it hit the market, and was told they had offers already.

There can be no hope anymore, at least not here

Yep, VI's have done a wonderful job over the years

I assume those currently viewing are moving 'sideways' as the property ladder doesn't exist anymore - rungs are too wide...

Edited by dnd

Guest Bart of Darkness

If that's Dore, mine's a coconut. It's not even Totley Rise... looks like Beauchief to me.

Good old EA neighborhood creep!

You could be right, I really don't know Dore that well (I know someone who lives in Totley but only as a collegue).

That Rotherham house looks good.

We are delighted to offer for sale a new development of 2, 3 and 4 bed roomed houses on a quiet development in this popular and well-established residential area.

Is that a fair assessment? I like the quiet bit but EA speak can mean anything.

A ray of hope?

OMFG!

I just phoned the agent, Im obsessed with the stupidity here.

They have had it ramped up to 420k and they are still showing new people round.

Its utter madness.

Especially when you look at what they sold for on the road recently.

Im genuinely astounded.

All of the bad press about the market and still people buy into the myth

I_Hate

PS Actually what bugs me the most was when I phoned up for a laugh last week, the day it hit the market, and was told they had offers already.

If it's any consolation, Dore's always been a bit of a small minded place with a whiff of the fur coat and no knickers about it.

We are delighted to offer for sale a new development of 2, 3 and 4 bed roomed houses on a quiet development in this popular and well-established residential area.

That Rotherham house looks good. Is that a fair assessment? I like the quiet bit but EA speak can mean anything.

I just went to have a look (its on the way to taking our lass to work)

To be fair the estate is quiet, if a little on top of each other, and its still unfinished, so theres mess and stuff about, but thats normal on new build. Looking at the cars, every one seems to have two nice new cars and theres a fair sprinkling of upmarket stuff.

However, like everything else, there's never a free lunch. The estate is plonked slap bang in the middle of an existing council estate. Nothing wrong with that. But it didn't look the nicest of council estates, if you know what I mean. Not as rough as Manor or Arbouthorne, probably comparable to Gleadless I'd say.

If I had been brought up in Rawmarsh and knew no better, then it'd be great. As an outsider I'd pick spots. But then I find that about any area I dont know. £124,995 seems very good value to me. And the beauty of it is, is that its 106 affordable housing, so its priced cheap and I believe that there is a restrictive covenant so that renting out is not allowed for 5 years, so no renting riff-raff on the estate <_<

Seems a reasonable buy as other similars are for sale at £40k more (albeit reduced cos they cant sell !!??)

7290_413974_IMG_00.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-4893034.rsp

I just went to have a look (its on the way to taking our lass to work)

To be fair the estate is quiet, if a little on top of each other, and its still unfinished, so theres mess and stuff about, but thats normal on new build. Looking at the cars, every one seems to have two nice new cars and theres a fair sprinkling of upmarket stuff.

However, like everything else, there's never a free lunch. The estate is plonked slap bang in the middle of an existing council estate. Nothing wrong with that. But it didn't look the nicest of council estates, if you know what I mean. Not as rough as Manor or Arbouthorne, probably comparable to Gleadless I'd say.

If I had been brought up in Rawmarsh and knew no better, then it'd be great. As an outsider I'd pick spots. But then I find that about any area I dont know. £124,995 seems very good value to me. And the beauty of it is, is that its 106 affordable housing, so its priced cheap and I believe that there is a restrictive covenant so that renting out is not allowed for 5 years, so no renting riff-raff on the estate <_<

Seems a reasonable buy as other similars are for sale at £40k more (albeit reduced cos they cant sell !!??)

7290_413974_IMG_00.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-4893034.rsp

That actually looks liveable in.

Bemused by the EA speak: Reduced To Offers Around. Does this mean that the price hasn't actually been reduced..?

Guest Bart of Darkness
probably comparable to Gleadless I'd say

I can relate to that comparison as I live in Gleadless. Cheers for the report Rigsby.

That actually looks liveable in.

Bemused by the EA speak: Reduced To Offers Around. Does this mean that the price hasn't actually been reduced..?

It means they are desparate to sell in a stalled market.

Take a look at these LR figures for Sheffield on Home.co.uk. It doesn't look like the time to buy. The latest months total sales volume is the lowest for 5 years.

The trend over the last year doesn't look good at all for top end houses...

Just over the M1 in Rotherham the market looks stronger...probably still playing catch-up with trendier Sheffield. Mainly BTL activity I guess.

It means they are desparate to sell in a stalled market.

Take a look at these LR figures for Sheffield on Home.co.uk. It doesn't look like the time to buy. The latest months total sales volume is the lowest for 5 years.

The trend over the last year doesn't look good at all for top end houses...

Just over the M1 in Rotherham the market looks stronger...probably still playing catch-up with trendier Sheffield. Mainly BTL activity I guess.

That's me buggered then... I move into a house in Sheffield on Friday! (but not at the top end... and, I'm pleased to say, not in Dore)

This is true. A 5 bedder in Beighton might come in at £225,000. Add in the Dore factor and you might expect another £100,000 added on (Dore, for those not familiar with Sheffield, is an über posh area of the city). £390,000 is pushing it a bit though!

All these prices are bubbliciously mad in my opinion!

Posh Sheffield? Are you having a larf? I lived in Fulwood Village when I was 4 and that wasn't even posh, although it was quite nice...