House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Prices Go Negative Yoy

HOLA441

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/commu...are_soaring.php

House prices level off but sales are soaring (compared with an extremely low 2005 baseline <_< )

By Staff reporter

House prices in Cornwall have remained static over the past 12 months although the actual number of sales has increased, according to official data from the Land Registry.
The average overall price of a house in Cornwall during the first quarter of this year was £203,006, marginally below the same period in 2005 and just 1% short of the record price recorded in 2004
. But 2,131 houses were sold in Cornwall between January and March this year, 21% more than in the same period of 2005, indicating a significant year-on-year improvement in the market.
Helston MP Andrew George said the figures showed beyond doubt that Cornish house prices had nothing to do with the fortune of the local economy and everything to do with the economy of the wealthy in London and the South East of England.
"The housing market is now so out of reach for local people, it is as if we have no right to live here at all," he said.
"Since local prices are fuelled by second homes and dictated by the wealth of South East England, it would appear that the only hope for locals is to leave or set up low cost reservations'.
Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442

TR_Sold_prices_Trend_Q1_04___Q4_05.JPG

RB

Prices have been negative for a long time in SW Cornwall although there has been a mini blip as an after effect of the hype from last Augusts rate cut

There is property that has been for sale for 3 years (at unrealistic prices) realistically priced and low priced property is moving reasonably

The whole County is showing falls in the last quarter with the exception of Penwith (Penzance & St Ives)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county24.stm

The reason Penwith shows a rise is that they are / have built some very expensive flats in Carbis Bay which are selling for £350k - as there are very few flats in Cornwall and even less luxury flats thsi has distorted the figures hugely

Sales may be up but prices are down across the County - I am wating for the complete list of land registry figures to update the graph above which shows the prices to Q4 2005

CS

post-4404-1148044264.jpg

HOLA443

"The housing market is now so out of reach for local people, it is as if we have no right to live here at all," he said.

"Since local prices are fuelled by second homes and dictated by the wealth of South East England, it would appear that the only hope for locals is to leave or set up low cost reservations'.[/indent]

How true. Probably many people work in the services industry earning minimum wage. It's sad that affordability is so out of reach. I blame people who are buying second homes.

HOLA444

If I lived in cornwall I'd buy a caravan and become a modern gypsy. You can buy some really nice caravans for £3000+

Move around in a group putting caravans on council owned sites annoying the SE brigade, spoiling their holiday environment etc. Village greens, that kind of thing.

Put some flags and banners up hightlighting the course of the action - unaffordable housing.

I'm convincing myself here....don't we all have a right to housing anymore?

HOLA445
HOLA446

House prices level off but sales are soaring (compared with an extremely low 2005 baseline <_< )

My parents are undergoing a bidding war for their place in Cornwall as we speak.

Asking price has just been offered but it doesn't look like it's over yet.

I guess at the end of the day that's all you need. Two people that want the same property.

House is about 30 times my dads wage!!

HOLA447

Move around in a group putting caravans on council owned sites annoying the SE brigade, spoiling their holiday environment etc. Village greens, that kind of thing.

Don't know where we're going,

Got know way of knowing,

Driving on the road to nowhere

Sponging for a living,

Checking out the women,

Riding on the road to nowhere

And we don't take shit from anyone,

The only the thing we wanna do is have some fun

We're Max and Paddy,

Paddy and Max

And best of all we don't pay council tax!

HOLA448

Cornwall has been mental but is showing signs of wobbling seriously.

For Sale signs are flying up faster than ever, but certainly where i live nothing is selling.

I have found what is probably the fastest appriciating house i've seen i'm so tempted to print this out and put it thorough their letterbox i bet thay had idea when the purchased it.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...ge=&house_type=

1 Gavercoombe park 10 oct 2003 £160,000

18 months later

1 Gavercoombe Park 31 May 2005 £410,000

£250,000 in 18 months is it a record??

:ph34r:

HOLA449

Cornwall has been mental but is showing signs of wobbling seriously.

For Sale signs are flying up faster than ever, but certainly where i live nothing is selling.

I have found what is probably the fastest appriciating house i've seen i'm so tempted to print this out and put it thorough their letterbox i bet thay had idea when the purchased it.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...ge=&house_type=

1 Gavercoombe park 10 oct 2003 £160,000

18 months later

1 Gavercoombe Park 31 May 2005 £410,000

£250,000 in 18 months is it a record??

:ph34r:

VWPhil

Interesting handle - would it be right to surmise that you have an interest in a certain German marque - if so will you be going to the Jamboree at Stithians in August - if so may see you there

CS

HOLA4410

might have lol,

if i ever finnish my van lol

perhaps i should livve in it when its done!!

I often wondered if pre 68 type2's where in a price bubble over the last few years

probably driven by MEW

what do you think

VWphil :ph34r:

HOLA4411

I often wondered if pre 68 type2's where in a price bubble over the last few years

VWphil :ph34r:

I think you're safe in that bubble - splittys won't go down in price as there are none left and they can't make any more - even bays like ours (79) are fetching silly money

Good to know there are some other sensible people out there with a passion for outdated and underpowered old vehicles

CS

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm convincing myself here....don't we all have a right to housing anymore?

When did we ever have a right to housing? (Presumably you mean to buy one, since anyone can rent one). Not in my life time we didn't, it always depended on market prices. I know someone who has never been able to buy a house and he's 52. He never had a rifgt to one in his lifetime.

HOLA4416

How about a HPC south west meeting at the Jamboree??

Could educate some people about decent vehicles lol

Phil

Sorry Phil didn't see your reply

Great idea - we can put the vans in a circle (to protect from any EA or Bull raiding parties) talk about HPC and Crash Gordon (for a short time) and then consume huge quantities of beer - recipe for a good weekend

CS

Edited by Cornwall Sceptic

HOLA4417

Cornwall is fast becoming a play ground for the retired and the wealthy - it will become a victim of its own success. It has no industry or opportunities for the young and so will eventually become one great big retirement county for England. Its great during the summer but a absolutely terrible down there in the autumn and winter months.

HOLA4418

Cornwall is fast becoming a play ground for the retired and the wealthy - it will become a victim of its own success. It has no industry or opportunities for the young and so will eventually become one great big retirement county for England. Its great during the summer but a absolutely terrible down there in the autumn and winter months.

Will the same people moan about the lack of clinics, hospitals, fire stations, life boat service, checkout operators, bin men? etc. Whenever local services are shutdown people moan and protest, whenever they try and build some new homes the same people moan and protest. Cake, eat it.

HOLA4419

Its great during the summer but a absolutely terrible down there in the autumn and winter months.

It is different in autumn/winter but hardly "terrible" - the quality of life is much better than many other parts of the country and it's nice and quite when the emmets have gone home

True there are a lot of retired people but not as many as you make out

CS

HOLA4420

Will the same people moan about the lack of clinics, hospitals, fire stations, life boat service, checkout operators, bin men? etc. Whenever local services are shutdown people moan and protest, whenever they try and build some new homes the same people moan and protest. Cake, eat it.

No problem, they will ship in some polish or portuguese workers. There is a clay village which has a lot of foreign workers and there is a lot of tension with the locals. They mostly seem to work in local factories on minimum wages that locals refuse to do. They were bitching about it at my workplace today, apparently they steal alcohol in Asda... :o

HOLA4421

"Since local prices are fuelled by second homes and dictated by the wealth of South East England, it would appear that the only hope for locals is to leave or set up low cost reservations'.[/indent]

Well if they called them villages instead of reservations and included a main street and a church and hall (for feel anyway, since most people won't attend) then they would be on the right track. , I a going to be sacreligious to the british sentiment now, despite their faults (particularly in terms of respect for other cultures and not leaving messes for others to clean up etc.), in terms of new development I reckon the travellers or gypsies or whatever you want to call the have the right general idea - small areas of self contained new housing in a dense but not built up configuration. Its called a village, and from the number that are around I would suggest that is how a lot of people want to live. Not more urban sprawl on the outskirts, but new developents with enough infrastructure to provide an identifiable local character. But that would involve a change in land-use laws, some creativity and dispensing with the urban designers who are addicted to the new stainless steel apartment blocks. The government just isn't going to go there. stupid, but in tune with the current intelligencia.