House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

Newsnight Now... Immigration

You can imagine all the top brass sitting around the table in the Home Office :-

"I wonder where all these people actually are? Yes, they must be right under our noses, but where, that's the question. Lovely carpet, btw."

I found the Afghanistan piece was also interesting, regards the "graft" accusations in relation to "foreign aid" being targeted at foreign companies. One example was a 300 mile two lane highway, bog standard kind of road you found out in the sticks. It did not go to tender, it was built by an American contractor at a cost of $1,000,000 A MILE

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I found the Afghanistan piece was also interesting, regards the "graft" accusations in relation to "foreign aid" being targeted at foreign companies. One example was a 300 mile two lane highway, bog standard kind of road you found out in the sticks. It did not go to tender, it was built by an American contractor at a cost of $1,000,000 A MILE

I watched that with great interest, to me the true face of unacceptable capitalism. A case of put it in my back pocket.

That's actually very cheap, I wish we could build roads that cheap! In the UK a motorway costs £28 million per mile, a mile of dual carriageway cost an average of £12 million, and generally our contractors don't get shot at... unless they encounter a particularly exercised farmer or group of nimbies.

In the US the interstate 710 will cost a whopping $311m per mile.

You can imagine all the top brass sitting around the table in the Home Office :-

"I wonder where all these people actually are? Yes, they must be right under our noses, but where, that's the question. Lovely carpet, btw."

Yes better check our own employees just incase any are illegally employed, anyone here not suppose to be?

What do you mean were employing illegal cleaners and in the immigration office? Better make a thing of it before the media get wind, its the sort of thing that might cause the electrate to think we're incompetant. No probably not.

Think Im getting as sarcastic as Buying (sarcastic) Bear

I watched that with great interest, to me the true face of unacceptable capitalism. A case of put it in my back pocket.

Big Government = Big Corruption. Regardless of the political / economic philosophy of the government in question.

B)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

That's actually very cheap, I wish we could build roads that cheap! In the UK a motorway costs £28 million per mile, a mile of dual carriageway cost an average of £12 million, and generally our contractors don't get shot at... unless they encounter a particularly exercised farmer or group of nimbies.

Just observe how many actual bodies you see when a road or motorway is under constructon. I followed the construction of the new Euro track with interest. The lack of bodies seen gave me the impression they were all on strike, although the construction appeared to advance with great speed. ;)

The article implied if the contract had been undertaken by an Afghan contracter it would have cost $200,000 per mile. The inferance was, the US tax payer is getting a bum deal, while Dubya's corporate buddies lined their pockets. A bridge built by another foreign company fell down, a dam repaired by another company collapsed, exposing in its reduce water levels, a dam built hundereds of years ago that was still standing. Drug smuggler arrested by customs, threatened by the women smuggler she had freinds in high places, and she was right she was released. The Head of Customs at Kabul airport said the government have instructed the Public Prosecuter to investigate him. It would appear she indeed has freinds in high places.

Edited by Catch22

The article implied if the contract had been undertaken by an Afghan contracter it would have cost $200,000 per mile. The inferance was, the US tax payer is getting a bum deal, while Dubya's corporate buddies lined their pockets. A bridge built by another foreign company fell down, a dam repaired by another company collapsed, exposing in its reduce water levels, a dam built hundereds of years ago that was still standing. Drug smuggler arrested by customs, threatened by the women smuggler she had freinds in high places, and she was right she was released. The Head of Customs at Kabul airport said the government have instructed the Public Prosecuter to investigate him. It would appear she indeed has freinds in high places.

Steeplejacks huh say no more

The article implied if the contract had been undertaken by an Afghan contracter it would have cost $200,000 per mile.

Are there any notable Afghan road builders? Take the road to Kabul for instance :-

petesouza22341.jpg:huh:

However, you're quite right, companies like Haliburton and KBR do very nicely.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Bart of Darkness

What?!? :o

I'd expect to get a whole motorway for £28 million. ;)

Is it the price of land that drives the cost up?

What?!? :o

I'd expect to get a whole motorway for £28 million. ;)

Is it the price of land that drives the cost up?

It depends on the area obviously, I wouldn't say the cost of agricultural land is all that much, however the costs around procurement and just getting a scheme through the planning system, multiple planning inquiries and judicial reviews, that can go on for years, costs many millions of pounds in legal fees way before a single bit of soil is moved, and finally they just give up and the plans are shelved. If you go ahead you also need to spend millions on security and 'pest control' (tree huggers :D).

Widening roads is even more expensive, adding an extra lane to 50 miles of the M1 between Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire will cost an estimated £1.9 billion (£38m per mile). And widening the remaining 63 miles of the M25 will cost about £1.5 billion. As you can see, those Afghans have got a bit of a bargain, parts of the M1 cost more than £1m ($1.9m) a mile forty years ago.

Edited by BuyingBear

Do they have Little Chefs and Travelodge by the side of the motorway in Afghanistan?

Nah, just a bunch of guys with RPG's, much like Little Chef really, less costly.

There are plans afoot to provide motorway facilites.

The Happy Shooter

Travel Mosque

Kentucky Fried Sheeps Eyes

Heads Diner

Mortar Shell Service Station

McDinars

Burka King

Nah, just a bunch of guys with RPG's, much like Little Chef really, less costly.

Rocket Propelled Ginsters?