House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Please Tell Me Why This Place Isn't Good Value

How do you value a rental property then?

I thought it was 20xAnnual Rent - it that about right or is there more to it than that?

WOW

No its around 12x although in times gone by it has been as low as 8x

20x is probably the rediculous figures seen today

I live around the conrner, its a great block, very popular with renting professionals. Very short walk to Parsons Green station and the Fulham Road. Very safe area particularly for women even though there is quite a lot of social housing in the area. You could easily get £2500 per month in rent for this property.

That essentially means that one of you lovely HPC people could buy this place, have 3 people share with you & in one move wipe out your own monthly housing cost and live in a desireable area.

When you can't find places like that anymore, then this market will be overpriced IMO. Not saying that it isn't in many parts of the UK already BTW, but IMO there is value in London if you look for it.

I'd guess the service charge would be upwards of £1500/year.

<snip>

If the sevice charge is less than 3k pa I would be surprised even without a lift, speaking from (painful) experience. And there's porterage too... ouchy.

Then again, 2.5k a month rental should be easy to get. Flat Bear is a bit off beam on this one.

I know exactly where it is, the fire station, the traffic, the school nearby, the council estate chavs all sort of knock it back a bit, then if the service charge is £1500 a year, I am a Chinaman.

Plus it's tired out - it's not been done for 15 years and it's already being sold out by an 'investor' - he's not going to be giving it away if it's making rent over and above its cost to buy.....

By reference, a three bed flat in my old mansion block 3/4 mile away would make (as opposed to ask) about £1,450 a month rent.

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...2&photo=1#photo

[location is better for everything except being near Fulham Broadway, it's overlooking a park, balconies, 100 yards from river, not on rat run]

Edited by Rachman

It could be a little cosy for four though. I rented a two bed very spacious flat in this area at £1260 per month so I'm not sure if you could double that figure for this place.

http://johnsales.webdadi.biz/details.dtx?p...49-4A3C91074206

4 bed mansion flat in SW6 for 435k. Would probably rent for more than cost.

28/10/2005 £232,830 Flat L No Map Arundel Mansions, Flat 17, Kelvedon Road, Hammersmith And Fulham, London, Greater London, SW6 5BS

2 06/06/2005 £239,950 Flat L No Map Arundel Mansions, Flat 27, Kelvedon Road, Hammersmith And Fulham, London, Greater London, SW6 5BS

3 04/06/2004 £260,000 Flat L No Map Arundel Mansions, Flat 36, Kelvedon Road, Hammersmith And Fulham, London, Greater London, SW6 5BS

06/10/2003 £325,000 Flat L No Map Arundel Mansions, 31 Flat, Kelvedon Road, Hammersmith And Fulham, London, Greater London, SW6 5BS

looks like a rip off. you sure your feeling alright today TTRTR ? its a F L A T with 1 reception room, where are 4 people going to sit down and eat... in their bedrooms ? wonder where 4 people would also dry their clothes ? and for a 2nd car parking permit in fulham the price more than doubles.. what about the other 2 ?

the word dining room will soon vanish from the dictionary to be replaced by extra bedroom

edit : just like to add that last wkd i was an 8 acre farm in new forest with lake, stables and a beautiful house... 650K

Edited by debtfree