House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilB

North East Hampshire

I hadn't experienced any first-hand indicators of the market until a friend of my wife's relayed their experience recently.

They have a 3-bed semi-detached cottage here in Hartley Wintney. It's a nice place and very well presented but even in this area the £325k asking price seemed way to high when the put it on the market 3 months ago.

For comparison I rent a slightly larger terraced house on a private road for £975/month and my neighbour recently sold his for £297k after it had been on the market for a year and the asking price dropped 10% (but thats another story).

Anyway back to my wife's friend. At first they seemed very optimistic about selling the place however I understand that they haven't had any offers, they've reduced the asking price by £15k, and she recently asked my wife if we wanted to rent the place. A letting agent had 'valued' it at 1100/month and that amount of money would apparently enable them to buy the 'next house'. Naturally we declined the offer.

Now I know these examples aren't 'major' drops compared to others illustrated on HPC, but if I stop to consider that these two examples are both very well presented houses in what is allegedly a very desirable area, it doesn't paint a good picture for the rest of the market.

Anyone else round here care to comment?

I hadn't experienced any first-hand indicators of the market until a friend of my wife's relayed their experience recently.

They have a 3-bed semi-detached cottage here in Hartley Wintney. It's a nice place and very well presented but even in this area the £325k asking price seemed way to high when the put it on the market 3 months ago.

For comparison I rent a slightly larger terraced house on a private road for £975/month and my neighbour recently sold his for £297k after it had been on the market for a year and the asking price dropped 10% (but thats another story).

Anyway back to my wife's friend. At first they seemed very optimistic about selling the place however I understand that they haven't had any offers, they've reduced the asking price by £15k, and she recently asked my wife if we wanted to rent the place. A letting agent had 'valued' it at 1100/month and that amount of money would apparently enable them to buy the 'next house'. Naturally we declined the offer.

Now I know these examples aren't 'major' drops compared to others illustrated on HPC, but if I stop to consider that these two examples are both very well presented houses in what is allegedly a very desirable area, it doesn't paint a good picture for the rest of the market.

Anyone else round here care to comment?

There was a 3bed semi opposite our office in Rotherwick which was on most of last year unsold. back on and now has a sold sign..Don't know prices but houses are selling..

Cheers

Richard