House Price Crash Forum
Fudge

Retail Sales Data Shows Recovery

"This is welcome news for the Bank of England, and alleviates pressure for a near-term hike in interest rates," added Mr Archer.

????????????? :unsure:

Does'nt it mean the exact opposite?

I think he was referring to this comment in the article:

The ONS said prices on the High Street in April were down 1.2% on the same month last year.

crap journalism I agree

and the Retail Sales figures were higher than expected - March's figures were revised up too!

Edited by Sisyphus

I think he was referring to this comment in the article:

crap journalism I agree

and the Retail Sales figures were higher than expected - March's figures were revised up too!

Yes

It is a miss-match of out of context quotes which do not make any sense what so ever

Although sales are up, the price of goods have to be cut in order to encourage people to buy,

so reducing inflation. If businesses cant pass the extra costs from energy rises on to

customers, the only way to make profits is to cut back on or hire cheaper staff.

If businesses cant pass the extra costs from energy rises on to

customers, the only way to make profits is to cut back on or hire cheaper staff.

Why dont they just plunder the pension scheme of the workers to make a profit, all that money tied up in something that only benefits the simple workers is just a waste and they dont deserve it anyway.

Workers in Ethiopa, China, Indian consider themselves lucky if they work only 80hrs a week, and save up a lifetime for a tin corrugated shed.

Although sales are up, the price of goods have to be cut in order to encourage people to buy,

so reducing inflation. If businesses cant pass the extra costs from energy rises on to

Or of course improve productivity, so it takes less time & money to poduce each item?

Or of course improve productivity, so it takes less time & money to poduce each item?

a noble goal, but do we have the scope to improve productivity in the uk? If i remember correctly, we work the longest hours in Europe but cant match the productivity of our continental neighbours.

From where are these figures devised, countrywide or a select selection of shops, & if so from which area.

Is it always the same area or do they vary to suit media manipulation?

Non food sales are what exactly, petrol, buckets to stash water in? What?

Half baked journalistic effort designed to stir up debate, nothing more!!

From the atricle ;

"The average weekly value of sales in April was £4.7m, 3.6% higher than April 2005, and 4.5% ahead of March 2006"

The message here is that people just refuse to stop spending in the face of higher household bills and transport costs. Debt will continue to grow as a result but they don't seem to care. Employment security is becoming an wider issue but again no notice taken. Spend, spend spend.

Heralded as good news? I think not. Just how much debt can the Uk service?

Edited by Prude

a noble goal, but do we have the scope to improve productivity in the uk? If i remember correctly, we work the longest hours in Europe but cant match the productivity of our continental neighbours.

I wonder if those two elements might be related to each other ;)

From the atricle ;

"The average weekly value of sales in April was £4.7m, 3.6% higher than April 2005, and 4.5% ahead of March 2006"

The message hear is that people just refuse to stop spending in the face of higher household bills and transport costs. Debt will continue to grow as a result but they don't seem to care. Employment security is becoming an wider issue but again no notice taken. Spend, spend spend.

Heralded as good news? I think not. Just how much debt can the Uk service?

I was thinking exactly the same. Will the spending go on well into a recession?