Change: 54.30 (0.96%)

Prev Close: 5,675.50

Open: 5,675.50

Day's Range: 5,621.20 - 5,713.80

52wk Range: 4,949.40 - 6,137.10

Edited by Realistbear

The pain....make it stop......

:lol::lol:

Not yet--gotta destroy confidence first and then the layoffs begin in earnest as recession rears its hideous head. Like Isaid you have to know when to sell--most saw this coming and got out a week ago <_<

Just think of all those bargains coming online after the MEWing to get in quick in the markets will work through the property market! :lol:

BTW--its bouncing back into the green.

Edited by Realistbear

The pain....make it stop......

:lol::lol:

Go on TTRTR, i will bite.

I have been accused of playing down certain events on this forum, and as it turned out, i was right as nothing really happened, i still think that the property market will be slow and drawn out, and that the chances of this stock market fall being "THE TRIGGER" are an outside bet.

But you would have to be absolutlely ignorant and stupid not to see the danger signs of what has been happening in the markets over the last few weeks.

It is quite clear to me now that you are not what you say you are, you are only hear to counter pro Bearish news, you are probably Bearish yourself and playing the old game"sshhhhh and it might all go away"

Guest The_Oldie

Seems to have recovered most of its early loses already however...

Builders still sharply down though!

BARRATT DEV PLC (BDEV.L) At 8:32AM : 843.60 p Down 45.90 (5.16%)

G WIMPEY PLC (WMPY.L) At 8:32AM : 444.00 p Down 12.00 (2.63%)

PERSIMMON PLC (PSN.L) At 8:33AM : 1,163.00 p Down 38.00 (3.16%)

TAYLOR WOODROW (TWOD.L) At 8:32AM : 322.25 p Down 17.00 (5.01%)

Go on TTRTR, i will bite.

I have been accused of playing down certain events on this forum, and as it turned out, i was right as nothing really happened, i still think that the property market will be slow and drawn out, and that the chances of this stock market fall being "THE TRIGGER" are an outside bet.

But you would have to be absolutlely ignorant and stupid not to see the danger signs of what has been happening in the markets over the last few weeks.

It is quite clear to me now that you are not what you say you are, you are only hear to counter pro Bearish news, you are probably Bearish yourself and playing the old game"sshhhhh and it might all go away"

We are constantly swamped with bad news. Bad news sells. But bad news also prompts reactions that steer us though the bad news. In the end we always get through.

Guest The_Oldie

We are constantly swamped with bad news. Bad news sells. But bad news also prompts reactions that steer us though the bad news. In the end we always get through.

Yes, after a few years of pain! Remember the early 90s?

What are you talking about, this is a forum about the chances of a HPC, not a philosophy forum.

Yes if the s*** hits the fan we will get through it, but that is not what we are talking about.

This forum is here to discuss the inevitable property crash, are you now saying that it is very possible that we are now heading for one, but we will get over it

In the end we always get through.

You could also argue every time we scrape through we've used up a bit of luck avoiding disaster. Thing about luck is sometimes it just runs out.

Out of interest, what happened to interest rates, and house prices after the last two crashes

Oct 1987 and 2000 to 2002?

Stock market crashes tend to be good for house prices, as people move money out of these assets, and also central banks tend to cut interest rates.

Absolutely no reason why the stock markets will crash now. Yes interest rates may rise and in the US case that may be a good thing long term. May reduce the demand for oil for example. But valuations on the FTSE are quite reasonable compared with historic values. This should be a good buying opportunity at the moment.

What are you talking about, this is a forum about the chances of a HPC, not a philosophy forum.

Yes if the s*** hits the fan we will get through it, but that is not what we are talking about.

This forum is here to discuss the inevitable property crash, are you now saying that it is very possible that we are now heading for one, but we will get over it

I'm saying that even if we did, I am happy that I personally would be OK given what I know now.

IMO you have to take a position and decide whether the risk of being out is greater than the risk of being in. I have won so far because I have stayed in through thick & thin. When 9/11 happened people were told to get out of property, when Afganistan was being bombed, when the tanks rolled into Iraq, but in every situation, the share market suffered & property won again. There have been many many times we were told to get out of property. Every time has seen weakness & recovery.

There really is only one tool to kill property speculation with. Interest rates. But I share the view I heard this morning on TV, the market is spooked by the prospect of higher IR's, but the fact is that the world can only take so much at the moment before economies will topple like dominoes. That of course would lead to lower IR's.

So as long as I've positioned myself well enough to stand up to IR rises, I will be fine & you lot will have a place to rent while you lose confidence in your jobs & stop going to restaurants & on holidays.

:D

When a Governments own people begin to point fingers as immigration being an economic problem you know the sh*t is going to hit the fan.

Looks like a meltdown is coming to a town near you soon.

We are seeing massive job losses in the UK, huge debts, swathing cutbacks in hospitals and police force.

Miracle economy has been exposed for the myth it is. Welcome to real accountancy where the books of the business are the key indicators of success or failure, and holding debt becomes a big big make or break.

You could also argue every time we scrape through we've used up a bit of luck avoiding disaster. Thing about luck is sometimes it just runs out.

Or I could argue that every time I've accumulated a little more equity & therefore a little more security. Eventually the impact of IR's & other factors tends to impact less & less.

Out of interest, what happened to interest rates, and house prices after the last two crashes

Oct 1987 and 2000 to 2002?

Stock market crashes tend to be good for house prices, as people move money out of these assets, and also central banks tend to cut interest rates.

Everything as far as you are concerned are good for house prices, why do you bother when you are 100% certain everything is rosey.

I have noticed that you spend nearly every working hour on either this forum or Motley fool and no doubt many others, why bother.

I am ceratin we are not going to get a quick painfull crash, but i am far from ruling it out, sounds like you are trying to convince YOURSELF on a daily basis, try and get out mate and take a walk.

Guest The_Oldie

So as long as I've positioned myself well enough to stand up to IR rises, I will be fine & you lot will have a place to rent while you lose confidence in your jobs & stop going to restaurants & on holidays.

:D

But what will rates end up at in the short to medium term? I think that those of us holding mostly cash will be sleeping better at the moment than people highly leveraged in property ;). Debt is the key!

But what will rates end up at in the short to medium term? I think that those of us holding mostly cash will be sleeping better at the moment than people highly leveraged in property ;). Debt is the key!

Actually IMO demographics is the key & there are so many Oldie's wanting interest on their money versus us yungins earning that interest for you means that you'll have to accept a lower rate for your money for longer than you seem to expect.

Guest The_Oldie

Actually IMO demographics is the key & there are so many Oldie's wanting interest on their money versus us yungins earning that interest for you means that you'll have to accept a lower rate for your money for longer than you seem to expect.

I can't see what age has to do with it, I run a profitable business by the way ;).