House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

Telegraph: Going Nuclear Is A Half-baked Strategy.

'Going nuclear is a half-baked strategy':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...5/18/do1802.xml

Whatever you think about nuclear power -- and personally I want to do something about climate change and keep the lights on, in whichever way it has to be done -- it is difficult to avoid the growing suspicion that we are both being distracted from the Government's difficulties and sold a half-baked strategy that will not solve the problems it is meant to.

[...snip...]

Future historians may conclude that the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a massive and unwarranted distraction from what Mr Blair really should have been doing in Britain's interests -- sorting out where our energy was to come from and how we should lead the world into a low-carbon future.

[...snip...]

Cynics -- and there are far more of us now than there were in Mr Blair's early years as Prime Minister -- suspect that the real reason Number 10 and the Treasury want nuclear power now is that they want a "cost centre" to saddle with the £56 billion costs of cleaning up our existing nuclear legacy when our current revenue-raising Magnox stations close, rather than taking it out of tax revenue.

Edited by Jeff Ross

Guest Bart of Darkness

Is it me or is the Torygraph now officially HM Opposition?

I think there used to be a political party called the Conservatives who were supposed to do the job, but I guess they had better things to do on their country estates.

Is it me or is the Torygraph now officially HM Opposition?

I think there used to be a political party called the Conservatives who were supposed to do the job, but I guess they had better things to do on their country estates.

Nu-Labour and the conservative are in bed together but instead of arguing about who’s turn it is to get up and make the tea, they just argue about the team leader.

Sometimes they get kinky and have a threesome with the liberals.

Democracy is not working in the UK as they just vote themselves bigger pensions, longer holidays and more special protection whilst flooding the UK with immigrants against the wishes of the British people.

Time the people woke up and revolted

Nu-Labour and the conservative are in bed together but instead of arguing about who’s turn it is to get up and make the tea, they just argue about the team leader.

Sometimes they get kinky and have a threesome with the liberals.

Democracy is not working in the UK as they just vote themselves bigger pensions, longer holidays and more special protection whilst flooding the UK with immigrants against the wishes of the British people.

Time the people woke up and revolted

Hi,

And I will just reiterate, Gordon Brown will soon be Prime Minister. He is getting very involved in 'green issues' just recently and particularly the problems of carbon emmisions and global warming (drought alerts, instability of gas and oil supplies, blah, blah,). Wholesale, mass investment into the nuclear industry here in the UK is on the table. Despite very sketchy details of current and future, public and private records and funding for this industry. EDF is about the largest Nuclear Energy concern in Europe and has been a front running consultant to the changes afoot. Gordon Brown's brother is a senior figure in that company. You do the maths......

Boomer

Edited by boom_and_bust