House Price Crash Forum

Second Homes May Be Blocked To End Winter Ghost Towns

HOLA441
HOLA442

"Ms Goodman, who owns a second home in Central London, insisted that second homes across the country were not a problem but had become an issue in popular resorts in places such as Cornwall and the Lake District."

That's obvious. Homes in London are easily affordable to those on the average London wage of £30k. <_<

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The government ought to also double council tax due to the housing shortage. Buying a second home now is like washing your car in Kent during a drought--you are depriving others by engaging in non-essential activity. Gordon got us in this mess now lets see him get us out.

HOLA4412

The government ought to also double council tax due to the housing shortage. Buying a second home now is like washing your car in Kent during a drought--you are depriving others by engaging in non-essential activity. Gordon got us in this mess now lets see him get us out.

I have always used a similar example myself, it's like selling off all our reservoirs to a handfull of people so they can whizz and polute half of them, and then charge us double for the remaining 50%.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I'm no girlie, you're just casting aspersions because you want WAL all to yourself, don't you?

some girls will.

some girls wont.

some girls need a lot of class A and,

some girls dont.

i know i got the feeling, i dont know why.

some girls blow, but some girls lie.

HOLA4417

I think it's difficult to police too; If a married couple state that the husband owns one property and the wife owns another, they still have a second home, it just isn't described that way. Realisticly you can only stop people having more homes than family members.

HOLA4418

This should start a rush buy second homes.

Second homes will be in short supply once the restrictions come in, so now is the time to buy. It's also a bonanza for Londoners. They should get far more profit than those pathetic locals who buy homes to live in instead of for their holidays.

I think this is just a pretend policy, I know Labour need some extra money to give away to lazy postmen, but this makes no sense at all.

HOLA4419

Right, so that'll be nice and easy, couple have house in town, separate and wife buys house in country. Reconciled. You prove it's a sham.

Or what if one person works up in London Monday to Thursday and has a flat there and spends weekends in country with wife and kids (tens of thousands do).

Or you have a pair of single people owning properties, they then buy a place together somewhere else. Is that robbing all the 'poor' FTBs of reasonable properties.

Can you imagine the civil liberties issues ? It's a joke and ill thought through and a sad attempt to make some political capital that will never happen.

These houses don't contribute to the local economy, rubbish - they pay council tax they hardly use any services and all the cash from the sale to these evil people goes into the local economy - how the seller spends it is their problem.

HOLA4420

Right, so that'll be nice and easy, couple have house in town, separate and wife buys house in country. Reconciled. You prove it's a sham.

Or what if one person works up in London Monday to Thursday and has a flat there and spends weekends in country with wife and kids (tens of thousands do).

Or you have a pair of single people owning properties, they then buy a place together somewhere else. Is that robbing all the 'poor' FTBs of reasonable properties.

Can you imagine the civil liberties issues ? It's a joke and ill thought through and a sad attempt to make some political capital that will never happen.

These houses don't contribute to the local economy, rubbish - they pay council tax they hardly use any services and all the cash from the sale to these evil people goes into the local economy - how the seller spends it is their problem.

Why don't the dumb f*cks just build some more houses?

HOLA4421

Why don't the dumb f*cks just build some more houses?

Because they want all the tourist revenue but to keep their chocolate box houses. This is what I don't get - if you take away the influx of money they bring, what will these people be doing all day if they are not servicing the second home owners and 'tourists' ?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425