House Price Crash Forum
Time to raise the rents.

Apparently The Basins Are To Be Debated In Parliament

Some of you will remember I posted earlier in the year that the new HMO licensing rules are stipulating that all shared houses (even ones that aren't covered by licensing) are now required to have basins fitted in every bedroom.

This will lead to the mental situation of there being more basins than people in many houseshares. It may also be near impossible for some houses to physically comply with running drainage & water pipes to every bedroom. Many tenants of shared houses and flats won't want them as they take up space, especially in smaller rooms.

Anyway, apparently this has become a major problem for councils now and many don't want to enforce this rule (including Wandsworth - just got off the phone with them).

I am told by the National Federation of Residential Landlords in their magazine that this issue of basins is now to be debated in parliament!!!

What a fricking joke these laws are!!!

I hope TB is there in the debate this, or will he be off somewhere doing something more important than dealing with the over regulation his govt is creating?

Naturally this isn't the only issue these laws have brought out, but it would take me days to write a thread of my complaints.

agree... its a shame. Some councils appear to be enforcing already, but some councils wont talk to LL and dont even know the cost of the licence! Some centralised planning on this before it became law might have been a good idea....

I hope TB is there in the debate this, or will he be off somewhere doing something more important than dealing with the over regulation his govt is creating?

He'll be too busy walking through crowds with his confident cowboy swagger, waving to non-existent acquaintances in the distance.

Some of you will remember I posted earlier in the year that the new HMO licensing rules are stipulating that all shared houses (even ones that aren't covered by licensing) are now required to have basins fitted in every bedroom.

It'll also do wonders for the current water shortage issues :P

So easy to bring in legislation.

Then so often find that there are loopholes, ambiguities, unintended consequences and plain bad law.

This Government seems particularly adept at this.

I don't doubt law and regulation is often needed but get it right.

Never mind, the good spinoff is, of course, that those lawyer folks get more work.

Cue lawyer, "But that's what we're for, law intent has to be tested and it's working established through examination by the Courts".

It'll also do wonders for the current water shortage issues :P

Should save actually. With guys taking a leak in the basin instead of bothering to use the toilet, a quick turn of the tap & flushed!

:rolleyes:

BTW. There are grants of up to 5k per property to pay for improvements as required by these laws. I hope yours & my tax doesn't go towards fitting hundreds of thousands of basins!

Is there a minimum size stipulated? If not, then I can help.

PM me, and it is a minor matter for me to knock up a few miniature ceramic (how does 2-3cm sound?) sinks in no time, saving you money, time and space. Installation is also trivial[1], just a few flimsy nails in the wall and some pvc tubing, plus, it'll safe a lot of water too.

:ph34r::lol::rolleyes:

BTW. There are grants of up to 5k per property to pay for improvements as required by these laws. I hope yours & my tax doesn't go towards fitting hundreds of thousands of basins!

Stop complaining TTRTR, it gives someone a job (for a bit anyway). Keep the 'miracle economy' going! :unsure:

Hmm, nice little job creation scheme with shades of PPI.

Have to disagree here, any regulation that increases costs to landlords is good by me.

For the housing market to return to sanity landlordism should be actively discouraged.

HMOs are notorious for offering the poorest quality housing in the UK and it is no surprise that the government wants to discourage them.

If you haven't got the resources to comply with the law you are undercapitalised for this business and should get out of the game.

Have to disagree here, any regulation that increases costs to landlords is good by me.

For the housing market to return to sanity landlordism should be actively discouraged.

HMOs are notorious for offering the poorest quality housing in the UK and it is no surprise that the government wants to discourage them.

If you haven't got the resources to comply with the law you are undercapitalised for this business and should get out of the game.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Even a 2 bedroom flat with 2 sharers is an HMO now. Imagine 1 bathroom sink, 1 kitchen sink and 2 bedroom sinks for 2 people!

Imagine also that because the landlord of this 2 bed flat doesn't require a license, they have no idea they're breaking the law by not fitting the basins.

Imagine a world where BTL as an investment is dead & you are left with only a virtual monopoly of large landlords unwilling to compete on price (rent), yet willing to install basins whenever needed & therefore a smaller rentals market with rents going up & up at the whim of these large landlords.

You may think with nearly 10 places I'm a large landlord, but believe me I am not. You lot owe people like me some thanks for improving rental standards & value for money by being willing to compete with more organised larger landlords who really were taking people for a ride in the past.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Even a 2 bedroom flat with 2 sharers is an HMO now. Imagine 1 bathroom sink, 1 kitchen sink and 2 bedroom sinks for 2 people!

Imagine also that because the landlord of this 2 bed flat doesn't require a license, they have no idea they're breaking the law by not fitting the basins.

Imagine a world where BTL as an investment is dead & you are left with only a virtual monopoly of large landlords unwilling to compete on price (rent), yet willing to install basins whenever needed & therefore a smaller rentals market with rents going up & up at the whim of these large landlords.

You may think with nearly 10 places I'm a large landlord, but believe me I am not. You lot owe people like me some thanks for improving rental standards & value for money by being willing to compete with more organised larger landlords who really were taking people for a ride in the past.

imagine.... i doubt anyone will be able to afford to stay in the UK under such regulation, especially economic migrants and young people...

imagine.... i doubt anyone will be able to afford to stay in the UK under such regulation, especially economic migrants and young people...

TTRTR go boil yor head. Are you expecting any of us to have sympathy for you. Not a chance. Most landlords are SCUM. For example I have been waiting for over a month for my shower to be fixed, the toerag can take a running jump if he wants next months rent paid.

TTRTR go boil yor head. Are you expecting any of us to have sympathy for you. Not a chance. Most landlords are SCUM. For example I have been waiting for over a month for my shower to be fixed, the toerag can take a running jump if he wants next months rent paid.

Scum? Things break down. What's wrong? Leaking shower hose? With your attitude you won't get my sympathy.

Seriously though, what's wrong with the shower?

TTRTR,

I liked it when you included Kitchen sink with all the other basins you have in a house....

Do you really treat a kitchen sink like a basin or bathroom sink. i surely hope not.

I dont see any reason not to have a sink in each room. i believe this will increase sanitation (except for pissing in it after a night out or the students using them instead of bins for chucking up!)

Hypothetical situation.

2 bed flat.

1st occupant in shower, shaving legs etc...30 minutes.

2nd occupants wants to brush his teeth before going out.

Having a basin in your room is ideal!

Dont like the 5k grants to improve them though...sounds fecking stuppid to me!

TTRTR,

I liked it when you included Kitchen sink with all the other basins you have in a house....

Do you really treat a kitchen sink like a basin or bathroom sink. i surely hope not.

I dont see any reason not to have a sink in each room. i believe this will increase sanitation (except for pissing in it after a night out or the students using them instead of bins for chucking up!)

Hypothetical situation.

2 bed flat.

Mmm...a slow one? Do you realise tooth brushing takes 1 to 2 minutes? Sinks take 1 square metre from a room when standing space is accounted for. Do you think it's worth it for 1-2 minutes?

Scenario 2:

2nd occupant brushes teeth in kitchen sink.

Common sense will prevail on this one. I'm certain that most people want space. In the larger houses, there is usually two or three bathrooms, so others can go elsewhere when in need of a little dental hygiene.

TTRTR,

Hypothetical situation.

2 bed flat.

there is only a fixed amount of grants available, not all ll will get a grant because they money will run out. TTRTR, get in there quick ;p