House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pioneer31

Strange Attitude Towards Money

Guest pioneer31

I'm starting to see a trend in people's attitude towards money. When they buy something, say, like a DAB radio, they look around for the cheapest one. Which is the cheapest retailer? Who does the cheapest postage? Can I get one second hand from ebay? Is there a guy at work who knows a bloke, who knows another bloke who can get me £5 off one? etc etc. All this effort in order to save a few quid.

Yet the same person is driving round in a car which is far too large and expensive for their needs. They are shovelling money out of the window for fuel, insurance, servicing but baulking at the prospect of paying a few quid too much for an item that will last years.

Odd ?

Edited by pioneer31

I'm starting to see a trend in people's attitude towards money. When they buy something, say, like a DAB radio, they look around for the cheapest one. Which is the cheapest retailer? Who does the cheapest postage? Can I get one second hand from ebay? Is there a guy at work who knows a bloke, who knows another bloke who can get me £5 off one? etc etc. All this effort in order to save a few quid.

Yet the same person is driving round in a car which is far too large and expensive for their needs. They are shovelling money out of the window for fuel, insurance, servicing but baulking at the prospect of paying a few quid too much for an item that will last years.

Odd ?

It may be (as in my case), that the car is a hobby and interest, where as a DAB radio is not (consequently, I haven't got one).

All this penny pinching is all well and good, but if you have an expensive hobby it may make you happier to spend money on that hobby rather than save it in the bank :)

Odd ?

Yup and paying stupid money for houses.

Guest Guy_Montag

It may be (as in my case), that the car is a hobby and interest, where as a DAB radio is not (consequently, I haven't got one).

All this penny pinching is all well and good, but if you have an expensive hobby it may make you happier to spend money on that hobby rather than save it in the bank :)

I very much doubt everyone driving an explensive car counts it as a hobby. I imagine most see it as an "essential".

Edit: Speaking as someone with a plethora of expensive hobbies, inc. a "hobby" car.

Edited by Guy_Montag

I very much doubt everyone driving an explensive car counts it as a hobby. I imagine most see it as an "essential".

With all that stranger danger out there well they need to safely drop the kids off at school despite the fact that children are more likely to get abused at home.

well if the choice is between a cheap tin box with a pair of garden chairs on wheels or a dramatically safer living room on wheels then I know what I choose - even if it does cost 3 or 4 times as much.

As for a dab radio lasting many years, perhaps you have not bought much in the line of consumer electronics lately? You'll be lucky if it lasts a month past its guarentee.

Same thing for green issues, there's people who go to the effort of recycling but drive land rovers.

For health issues - people buy big fat burger with chips and ask for a diet coke

it's more about feel good than actual good

Same thing for green issues, there's people who go to the effort of recycling but drive land rovers.

For health issues - people buy big fat burger with chips and ask for a diet coke

it's more about feel good than actual good

There is logic in buying a burger and a diet coke.

A burger has about 500 calories.

Chips have about 250 calories.

and a coke has about 200 calories.

Where as a diet coke has about 1 calorie.

So if you had 4 diet cokes a day you could another burger and chips!!!

Odd ?

I suppose you haven't noticed the govt throwing millions (even billions) away on useless studies, temporary & expensive works, helicopters that don't fly, ships that don't sail, courts that fail to make rulings.......

Diet coke - hmmm nicer than regular, but give me Pepsi max anyday :P (preferably with Jack Daniels in it ;) )

I suppose you haven't noticed the govt throwing millions (even billions) away on useless studies, temporary & expensive works, helicopters that don't fly, ships that don't sail, courts that fail to make rulings.......

And cheap 'affordable' housing competitions :rolleyes:

how about a sandwich instead of the crap? or have the crap and do some excercise

Edited by godsakes

Odd ?

You forgot cars are status symbols one simply must have a HUGE expensive one and be seen driving very fast in it to be anyone

Edited by bigben

And cheap 'affordable' housing competitions :rolleyes:

Irony too thick... can't contain self...

Why!?!?!

Have a competition to 'build houses' for £60K which will then be provided to 'key workers' at reduced rates and everyone else at market rates...

Pointless.....

This is not social housing - this is a prime opportunity for builders to provide large quantities of smaller, lower standard properties at market rates and then say 'the government told us to do this!'.

Social housing would be the government saying, we'll use this template to provide lower cost housing and take people off of the housing waiting lists (which only grew so big because of the right to buy in the first place).

Arrgghhhh.....

But most peoples hobby is to talk about the value of their house! :unsure:

With all that stranger danger out there well they need to safely drop the kids off at school despite the fact that children are more likely to get abused at home.

My friend has just had a letter off the police, distributed by her daughter's school to say - only walk in groups, as the route to school is via an underpass, and there's a very strange man hanging about (there's also apparently a teenage - female - flasher as well). She didn't say whether there had been more dads than usual taking their children to school!! It's a really nice area, but although she lives a very short distance, she's now taking the car until they've sorted the problem out.

In regards to spending, me and mr bubblepop use the term "penny wise and pound foolish" frequently to describe a lot of people we know, including a couple who were writing down each box of matched they had bought, and other small items, then buying another computer so the wife can use it when he's using his - they saw it as an absolute need, never used it - then swopped it a few years later for a crate of lager!! They are neeedless to say up to there necks in debt, and have consolidated a few times etc.

Yes that too!

Every time a contractor gets the chance to quote govt for a job, 50% is added to the price because they know the public servants are in charge of wads of cash & just can't wait to spend it!

Simplistic and wrong.

Have you any idea of the profit margin on a typical construction project?

I had a neighbour tell me that rent is "dead money" when he has two new cars on his driveway that are depreciating at a combined 500 Euro a week!!!

Yeah, that's what I thought....what a muppet. :rolleyes:

Guest Guy_Montag

Yes that too!

Every time a contractor gets the chance to quote govt for a job, 50% is added to the price because they know the public servants are in charge of wads of cash & just can't wait to spend it!

That is at least partly because of the stupid, "use it or lose it" attitude of the Treasury. There have been countless occasions I have been told to spend a few hundreds or thousands of pounds on something only vaguely useful (or downright useless) or we will lose the money or worse we will be congratulated on not spending our bugdet & have it cut for the following year.

If we were allowed to save the surpluses from each year against large capital costs in the future, I am sure it would change attituides.

That is at least partly because of the stupid, "use it or lose it" attitude of the Treasury. There have been countless occasions I have been told to spend a few hundreds or thousands of pounds on something only vaguely useful (or downright useless) or we will lose the money or worse we will be congratulated on not spending our bugdet & have it cut for the following year.

If we were allowed to save the surpluses from each year against large capital costs in the future, I am sure it would change attituides.

There is a difference between spending unecessarily and being ripped off by contractors. There is too much competition in the construction sector for anyone to get ripped off.

Odd ?

What to me is more stupid is spending ages looking around for the deal that saves you £5 then paying for it with a credit card and taking months to pay it off.