House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Oft - Sign Of The Times

WTF? :(

http://www.businessmoneynews.co.uk/ext/bm/...y.jsp?story=994

FSB shocked at OFT chief’s lack of concern for UK firms

16 May 2006

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has written to the chief executive of the Office of Fair Trading, John Fingleton, seeking a meeting and clarification of comments that he made in the Sunday press.

Mr Fingleton is reported to have said that he is ready to see small British suppliers squeezed out of business by powerful supermarkets so long as savings are passed on to consumers.

Mr Fingleton also dismissed the idea that the supermarket code of conduct should be rigorously policed despite the fact that the prime minister re-iterated his support for the code on 8 March in the House of Commons. The code of conduct was set up as a voluntary code to ensure the fair treatment of suppliers by the supermarkets.

Edited by OnlyMe

WTF? :(

http://www.businessmoneynews.co.uk/ext/bm/...y.jsp?story=994

FSB shocked at OFT chief’s lack of concern for UK firms

16 May 2006

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has written to the chief executive of the Office of Fair Trading, John Fingleton, seeking a meeting and clarification of comments that he made in the Sunday press.

Mr Fingleton is reported to have said that he is ready to see small British suppliers squeezed out of business by powerful supermarkets so long as savings are passed on to consumers.

Mr Fingleton also dismissed the idea that the supermarket code of conduct should be rigorously policed despite the fact that the prime minister re-iterated his support for the code on 8 March in the House of Commons. The code of conduct was set up as a voluntary code to ensure the fair treatment of suppliers by the supermarkets.

Go to one of those huge supermarkets in somewhere like milton keynes, and see how little choice they actually have - tiny deli sections etc. They have a little of everything. i.e. not much of each thing. My best example is shoes. If supermarkets had their way, we would buy everything there. The problem is - take a look at their shoes and they're rubbish. The quality is poor - imagine if we only had that choice. Books as well - i do not only want to beable to buy the bestsellers, that supermarkets only sell. I will spend extra in my local book shop to make sure i have a continued variety in the books i want to read. As soon as people see that cheap isn't always better - then supermarkets will not do as well. There also is no variation, as you realise that no matter where you travel in the country you go - they are no different. I cannot beleive that the chief executive of the OFT thinks that we should settle for this - and that it's good for the consumer. Appaling! There are so many other arguements - some of which are mentioned in the article - like suppliers from overseas - the list is endless.

Edited by Bubble Pop Electric

Codes of Conduct are not legally binding documents that simply go to show that we have been screwed in the past and will be again until a code of conduct is binding.

Go to one of those huge supermarkets in somewhere like milton keynes, and see how little choice they actually have - tiny deli sections etc. They have a little of everything. i.e. not much of each thing. My best example is shoes. If supermarkets had their way, we would buy everything there. The problem is - take a look at their shoes and they're rubbish. The quality is poor - imagine if we only had that choice.

My God, you're right, we're approaching the Shoe Event Horizon.