House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Entire Factory At Ellesmere Port May Be Shut Down

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2182679,00.html

Times Online May 16, 2006

Confusion over Vauxhall job cuts

By Rhys "Boyo" Blakely

Unions were today bracing themselves for as many as 1,000 job cuts at Vauxhall’s Ellesmere Port plant
as early as tomorrow
- amid mounting confusion over the status of talks between workers’ representatives and General Motors, the carmaker’s American owner.
Carl-Peter Forster, head of GM in Europe,
raised fears about the future of Ellesmere Port in March at the Geneva Motor Show, when he said that plants in Western Europe could close in the future and that Ellesmere Port, which employs 2,900, cannot yet match the productivity and quality of the benchmark factory at Eisenach, Germany.
The Ellesmere cuts would come in the middle of a major restructuring at cash-strapped GM. The carmaker, which is under massive pressure to raise cash in the face of pension and health compensation claims from Delphi, its parts maker, is planning to cut up to 12,000 jobs worldwide.

Things not looking so good Upnorth? :(

A friend of mine works for one of the last remaining car manufacturers here in the W Midlands and he said he has been told his job is finished this December. Some more major job losses are in the pipeline. :o

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2182679,00.html

Times Online May 16, 2006

Confusion over Vauxhall job cuts

By Rhys "Boyo" Blakely

Unions were today bracing themselves for as many as 1,000 job cuts at Vauxhall’s Ellesmere Port plant
as early as tomorrow
An here was me thinking that Flash Gordon ['saviour of the MEWniverse'] was going to
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B79335FF0-863A-47B2-B10C-83B2F0464612%7D&siteid=google' rel="external nofollow">

An here was me thinking that Flash Gordon ['saviour of the MEWniverse'] was going to save the day

Gordo has to be seen to be trying to save jobs. His only interest in No. 10. As long as he can keep HPI and MEW moving upwards he will still be seen as a great success. When the music stops he is history.

"Saviour of the MEWniverse!" Great one. :lol:

I know countless lads that work there, it`ll be fukcin devestating for the area..knock on affects etc. will make it even worse. :( Halewood will be next, my Dad gave 30 years of his best there, if they hadn`t given it the Jag gig that would have gone years back also.... :angry:

Dont be so glum. Just think of the number of flats they could build, the could convert the entire factory into flats, just think of the investment it will bring to the area. Who needs a job, when you can rent out a portfolio of 20 flats...

Gordo has to be seen to be trying to save jobs. His only interest in No. 10.

I doubt he cares, there isn't any elections coming up soon, anyway in Liverpool you could put a Labour rosette on a hippo and people would still vote for it.

edit: that brings to mind, Prescott's constituency is Hull, isn't it?

Edited by BuyingBear

I know countless lads that work there, it`ll be fukcin devestating for the area..knock on affects etc. will make it even worse. :( Halewood will be next, my Dad gave 30 years of his best there, if they hadn`t given it the Jag gig that would have gone years back also.... :angry:

Halewood's safe for a while yet, It's got the new Freelander from November, and X-Type will last another couple of years. Jaguar will then probably put something on the Freelander platform as a "Crossover Lifestlye" vehicle. They had to sack 2000 people in the midlands to move the Freelander up there though. - Announcement due in July about the future Jaguar models.

Realist bear, just because your friends contract with jaguar has not been renewed it doesn't mean there will be any more job losses at Jaguar. I should know I work there. We have closed one plant at Browns Lane to trim the excess capacity and we now manufacture three cars at one site at Castle Bromwich. Its true there is no replacement for the X type and there won’t be one, it only has a few more years left but capacity at Halewood will be used for the freelanders.

We have the new S type coming up, this isn’t just a new bumper but a complete strip out of the manufacturing blocks, body in white and assembly, and this is a major investment from ford. We also have record sales of the new XK so don't worry about us, thank you.

We need to talk up British manufacturing, not spread doom and gloom because your mates contract has run out.

Halewood's safe for a while yet, It's got the new Freelander from November, and X-Type will last another couple of years. Jaguar will then probably put something on the Freelander platform as a "Crossover Lifestlye" vehicle. They had to sack 2000 people in the midlands to move the Freelander up there though. - Announcement due in July about the future Jaguar models.

If the present X-Type is based on the old mondeo platform, doesn't the latest mondeo actually handle and ride better?

Cars are actually remarkably reasonable now, not just in the headline cost but in the kit that comes with them. The average car to house ratio must be well out of whack, the stamp duty alone on the average detached house would buy you a decent small car now.

Realist bear, just because your friends contract with jaguar has not been renewed it doesn't mean there will be any more job losses at Jaguar. I should know I work there. We have closed one plant at Browns Lane to trim the excess capacity and we now manufacture three cars at one site at Castle Bromwich. Its true there is no replacement for the X type and there won’t be one, it only has a few more years left but capacity at Halewood will be used for the freelanders.

We have the new S type coming up, this isn’t just a new bumper but a complete strip out of the manufacturing blocks, body in white and assembly, and this is a major investment from ford. We also have record sales of the new XK so don't worry about us, thank you.

We need to talk up British manufacturing, not spread doom and gloom because your mates contract has run out.

He works on the Freelander and as the above post says--its being shut down in November with job losses for the Midlands stacking up. Its little wonder the LR figures show big drops in house prices in my area. My disgust is this government's attitude toward British manufacturing--their only interest is maintaining HPI and Gordon's Miracle Economy based on it.

Ford's future is a little shaky and Jaguar are costing them a lot in bottom line red ink. I hope it survives but with this government heading us toward a debt induced recession the market here for Jags is going to be somewhat limited.

I hope it survives but with this government heading us toward a debt induced recession the market here for Jags is going to be somewhat limited.

The lions share of new jags are sold in the US hence market conditions here are not of the greatest importance. Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and Aston Martin are all part of the same group PAG Premiere Automotive Group and the bottom line is that the group as whole turned around a profit.

I read an article today on msnbc which said although fuel prices are at record highs in the USA sales of SUV's have not faltered. In fact it’s quite the opposite so the future looks good for our British Engineered, British Built gas guzzling Jags. If you have got 60 grand to blow on a new Jaguar XK you’re not going to worry about a few extra dollars for fuel.

Crisis? What crisis? Fuel use rises, sales soar.

I’m a bear but a also a bear that works in manufacturing so im rightly protective of my industry; we will not be closing up shop any time soon.

ive heard bad wisperings at leyland DAF.

LDV were taken over by US venture capitalists, they've sacked people, trimmed wages and pushing the Maxi, I think they recently got an order from RoyalMail. As always, things can change.