House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lksmith

First Timer Needing Help.

Hi all,

My partner and I have never rented and are looking for guidance.

Agent or Private?

What is a reasonable fee if using an Agent?

Pitfalls to be aware of?

What NOT to sign? :unsure:

We thank you in advance for any help.

Hi all,

Agent or Private?

Pitfalls to be aware of?

MY wife and i are also first time renters and what i am finding helpful is, "The Which guide to renting and letting". I found a copy on Ebay for £1 and very helpful it is too:)

Good luck!

I'm afraid the questions are all too general, and none of them have clearly defined answers. Try and narrow it down a bit please.

I'll try and answer the agent/private question, from my personal experience.

Go for an agent if:

- You want kind of average service, knowing generally that things will get fixed, but unsure how long.

- You want virtually a guarantee that you will receive some deposit back, but also a guarantee that you will lose at least some of it.

Private landlords can be the best, or they can be the worst. Agents tend to, in my experience, always be "kind of alright", never great, never that bad.

Hi all,

Agent or Private?

Pitfalls to be aware of?

I would always recommend renting through the ads in your local paper.

Go and view a few places to get a feel for the quality and price of property available. Ask pertinent questions about heating. Read the contract carefully and question anything you don't like. A good landlord will be happy to discuss points you disagree with.

Landlords will be keen to rent property to you. Couples looking for a long term lets are preferable to house sharers as they pay the bills and don't wreck the place.

Things to avoid:

Key meters for gas and electricity.

A property that hasn't been maintained since 1975. (Draughty windows and hideous bathrooms without showers).

Thank you for your replies. Very helpful. :)

Our main worry is Private LL v Agent. We're frightened to death of being ripped off, although reading past posts this can happen with either. Lol.

i've never gone through a letting agent as they cost so much money and they insist on credit checks(sod that!).

Renting is always a bit scary though. :ph34r:

If you are thinking of getting a property that is currently occupied(at end of their tenancy obviously) dont be afraid to ask the current tenants what the landlord is like....obviously preferably away from the landlord/agent rep!

It can also be easier sometimes, if there is a problem with a letting agent, to get some form of recourse. Most letting agents dont just "up sticks" overnight, whilst landlords can. And as they are not dealing with their own money, can be somewhat more impartial. Also can be easier to take them to court. If you are worried about getting ripped off, the best advice would be to go through an agent, but one who is registered with a professional body such as ARLA or NAEA. Ask to see their certificates, and dont be afraid to contact said body to confirm their membership. This will mean that they have a code of conduct they should be following, and a higher body to complain to should they not. That is probably about as secure as you will get in rental!

Edited by MrShed

dont be afraid to ask the current tenants what the landlord is like....obviously preferably away from the landlord/agent rep!

Lol - my landlord lives next door the agent did not mention that and i did not think to ask, but to be fair he does not seem to be a bad bloke, at least it is easy to get hold of him if there is a problem.