House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Millions To Queue For Water This Summer

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16052006/140/mill...uing-water.html

Millions Face Queuing For Water

Tuesday May 16, 10:34 AM

Millions of people could soon be forced to queue for water after Thames Water was told to apply for a drought order. Southern Water and Mid Kent Water have already applied as the threat of the worst drought in a century grew. Non-essential use of water has been banned in Sutton and East Surrey.

Breaking the order can lead to a fine of £5,000.

Environment Minister Ian Pearson said: "The drought in the Southeast remains serious.

Those in the SE will at least have one constipation and that is their houses are going up in value according to Rightmove. :)

Labour really are determined to take us back to the 70s.

I do think this could really finish NuLab off. A Miracle Economy yet queuing in the streets for water [to wash the MEWed X5 :-)]

Why the f^ck cant they just build a pipeline to pump water from the north - its not rocket science FFS

Why the f^ck cant they just build a pipeline to pump water from the north - its not rocket science FFS

To be fair, Labour can't be blamed for relatively low rainfall this year. But they can be blamed for bringing in vast numbers of new immigrants to the South-East, and for not badgering the water companies to fix the antiquated infrastructure that leaks vast amounts of water every year.

Either way, the next election is going to be amusing after Britain turns into a third-world country. At least I have an expedition-grade water filter, so I can always go pull water out of the river if I have to.

To be fair, Labour can't be blamed for relatively low rainfall this year. But they can be blamed for bringing in vast numbers of new immigrants to the South-East, and for not badgering the water companies to fix the antiquated infrastructure that leaks vast amounts of water every year.

Either way, the next election is going to be amusing after Britain turns into a third-world country. At least I have an expedition-grade water filter, so I can always go pull water out of the river if I have to.

I've seen loads of roads/fields flooding this year - why can't they just channel the water properly

and fix the leaks. This is just a con to make us pay more for water in my opinion!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16052006/140/mill...uing-water.html

Millions Face Queuing For Water

Tuesday May 16, 10:34 AM

Millions of people could soon be forced to queue for water after Thames Water was told to apply for a drought order. Southern Water and Mid Kent Water have already applied as the threat of the worst drought in a century grew. Non-essential use of water has been banned in Sutton and East Surrey.

Environment Minister Ian Pearson said: "The drought in the Southeast remains serious.

Those in the SE will at least have one constipation and that is their houses are going up in value according to Rightmove. :)

I find it quite amazing that we can build a lab to simulate nuclear fusion but still don't bother with finding a cheaper way for large scale de-salination. The idea of having a secondary supply of low quality water for toilet flushing and for garden watering has been considered for a long time, but never put into practice. What are people messing about at?

yep.... the water equivelent of the Enron rolling blackouts in Calafornia.

Thank god for 'the market'.... what would we do without it ?! (probably have a steady supply of water)

I find it quite amazing that we can build a lab to simulate nuclear fusion but still don't bother with finding a cheaper way for large scale de-salination. The idea of having a secondary supply of low quality water for toilet flushing and for garden watering has been considered for a long time, but never put into practice. What are people messing about at?

"I want good and increasing profits now".

Thank god for 'the market'.... what would we do without it ?! (probably have a steady supply of water)

How? Would the government import witch doctors to hold rain dances across Surrey?

The simple fact is that we've had too little rain this year, we have too many people crammed into the South East and the water infrastructure has decayed after decades of neglect while it was run by the government. Nothing will change that, and nothing will fix it any time soon.

Governments have destroyed this country's infrastructure by blowing our taxes on stupid welfare state schemes while ignoring the things that support the wealth that pays those taxes. Fixing the problems that past governments have created would cost vast billions, and we can't afford to pay it.

They've been trying to build a reservoir in South Oxfordshire for years, the nimbies wont let them, they reckon they spoil the environment and scenery.

vyrnwy1.jpg

(Bala reservoir)

see also... Haweswater, and the lost village of Mardale.

I've seen loads of roads/fields flooding this year - why can't they just channel the water properly

and fix the leaks. This is just a con to make us pay more for water in my opinion!

Artificial scarcity is a basic tenet of capitalism, and things don't get more basic or essential than water, if you can meter it en masse then you're onto a winner, just ask the Mafia. Obviously this year's unseasonal lack of rainfall helps them towards that end, they've already gotten legislation adjusted

Every part of the UK will have meters in the interests of "fairness", despite the fact my local water company is swimming in the stuff.

Don't like it? Sink your own borehole, it costs around £12k one off, quite a number of posh villages are going down this route, everyone chips in a bit of money and they can wave goodbye to water rates. Their lawns look wonderful, as do their cars.

Edited by BuyingBear

Not in the SE mate.

I can count the number of times I've had to put a waterproof on to avoid the rain over the last 3 years on one hand. Simply put, it rarely rains in the SE and that is where the majority of the population is, where the majority of the population growth is and has the most antiquated, mostly victorian era infrastructure to supply water.

Labour have done nothing to address the problems so are fully to blame, they've had nearly 10 years FFS! Of course they will probably blame the Tories as they do for everything even though that's wearing a bit thin now they've had nearly 10 years in government

The reason why we don't have a national water grid or desalinisation plants dotted all over the south is the same in both cases; energy costs.

Water is heavy - a litre weighs a kilogramme. The quantities needed in the south would require enormous amounts of energy to shift it over the watersheds between the wet north and the dry south. Desalinisation is also energy hungry - you essentially need to force the water through a semi-permeable membrane.

Coupled with all the problems involved in building a large diameter pipeline across the England, and/or big industrial desalinisation plants on the coast, it rapidly becomes clear that better management of the water resources we have is a lot better idea than trying to create new ones or to shift water around the country.

If we designed our houses better, and all had meters, so that usage reductions reward the customer rather than the water company, we could probably solve the problem without much pain at all.

One idea that I like is having a huge insulated water tank under the house (>25 cubic metres), into which runoff from gutters would go (and also grey water from baths, showers, dishwashers & washing machines). This could be used to flush toilets and water the garden, and would also be ideal as a thermal heat store - you could pump the water through solar panels on the roof to warm it up on hot days, and use it to heat the house on cold days. You could even use it to cool equipment like fridges and washing machines to save even more energy.

About 10 years ago I used to develop solar power desalinifiers. They were primarily intended for 3rd world countries but would work in Britain as well. The simple model consisted of nothing more than a pane of glass, a black surface, and a towel. Upmarket versions contained some electronic stuff as well. For some reason or other they never became a commercial success. At this point I started believing in government conspiracy theories and the existance of a sinister new world order to prevent progress unless the big moneyed interests swelled their coffers as a result.

I would really like to know how successful the clockwork radio is in 3rd world countries. I suspect it is a toy for British yuppies than a tool for the 3rd world.

Yes - I won't be able to flush the toilet so it looks like I'll be p1ssing out of the window again - and I've only just finished paying fine for the last time! :blink:

This should make (some) of you laugh - look what's under "standpipes" !!!

http://www.fdws.co.uk/business/yb_standpipes.shtml

I do think this could really finish NuLab off. A Miracle Economy yet queuing in the streets for water [to wash the MEWed X5 :-)]

Why the F should the North be drained of all its water just so the over populated South East can all piddle it down the drain? - people should be conserving the supply that they have, a few simple steps by everyone would aleviate the problem. The chances of water shortages in the North are not impossible either remember.

We need to be forcing people to use less (meters etc should be compulsory) only when people realise the true cost (through their wallets) will they stop being so wasteful - which most people are.

Hi,

Remember how Enron were cutting power supplies in Calafornia and telling customers to cut back on supply beacuse they were drawing too much power, how the exceptionally hot summers were causing unusual amounts strains on the infrastucture........later we found out they were infact deliberatly restricting supply, among other things, and also failing to invest in replacing and maintiang the grid infrastructure.

Miracle economy UK my hairy ass! To add to the failing housing, health service, road, trains and Gas supplies, we are now told for the seventh consecutive year that our (desert like?!?!?) climate is causing drought. Funny that, you seldom hear about droughts in southern spain. Labour ARE hell bent in recreating the glory of the seventees and the winter of discontent. Where did you say you can pick up one of those river water filtration systems, again?

Boomer

Where did you say you can pick up one of those river water filtration systems, again?

I think I got mine from Field & Trek years ago: not sure whether they even still exist? Be aware that it's hardly fast: because it uses such a hefty filter to remove the vast majority of harmful pollution you need a lot of hand-pump pressure to force the water through.

I think I got mine from Field & Trek years ago: not sure whether they even still exist? Be aware that it's hardly fast: because it uses such a hefty filter to remove the vast majority of harmful pollution you need a lot of hand-pump pressure to force the water through.

I do a lot of Traveling in "Third World" countries and allways carry a "Travel Well" with me.

http://www.travelwithcare.com/browse.asp?c...Exp=Y#691&Exp=Y

Miracle economy UK my hairy ass! To add to the failing housing, health service, road, trains and Gas supplies, we are now told for the seventh consecutive year that our (desert like?!?!?) climate is causing drought. Funny that, you seldom hear about droughts in southern spain. Labour ARE hell bent in recreating the glory of the seventees and the winter of discontent.

Yep, the government is behind the drought. I hear that Gordon Brown is seeding the clouds so that they dump their moisture offshore rather than on land!

The government deserves stick for a lot of things but it's just absurd to blame them for the weather.

Is there anything that goes wrong in modern Britain that the right-wing cranks on this board wouldn't blame Labour for?