House Price Crash Forum

N H S Another 400 Jobs To Go As 12 Call Centres Close

HOLA441

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16052006/344/400-...facing-axe.html

400 NHS helpline staff facing axe

Tuesday May 16, 07:22 AM

The nurse-led telephone helpline for the NHS has announced it is proposing to cut up to 400 jobs and close 12 call centres.
NHS Direct, which provides a 24-hour advice service to patients across England, hopes to save £15 million through the changes in a bid to balance its books over the next year.
It is proposing to close its smaller call centres in towns such as Doncaster, York and Cambridge, while expanding others as part of a restructuring programme.

Another 400 jobs go to underpin strong house prices--not. :lol:

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442

We used to manage fine without NHS direct - back in the old days you'd ring your doctor out if you were worried or go to casulaty. There now seem to be these call centre options, wall in centres, triage in the drunken towns at night etc etc

When was the last time anyone reading this had a doctor come out to their house?

HOLA443
HOLA444

I have actually used the NHS direct service and can I was very satisfied... they put my mind at rest, although only a throat infection, I was slightly worried as every now and again, my throat dried up so much i couldn't breathe... out of doctors hours on the weekend, etc

they just said wash my mouth with warm salty water. and gargle... did the trick straight away!

sorry to see cuts like these... i can imagine there will be 30-60 mins waitings on the end of the phone! Just for people who dont want to clog up DR's surgeries, and hospitals... etc.

shame its coming to this!

End of an era, of the NHS spending on staff I feel.

I heard from a reliable source that they (NHS- government) are clearing out the dead wood, the spongers... but I wouldn't call the NHS direct spongers. nor Admin, they are front line assistance IMO.

I would clear out all the "consultants" not the DR's or Professors... but the other "consultants"... just a joke, I have done accounts for these self employed people, and they just think they are so important. They are the Joke's IMO, and the people who need turfing out. once and for all.

HOLA445

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4985238.stm

The plan proposes cutting a total of 789 posts, 573 through redundancies and 216 through "natural turnover".

It said that the expansion of some of its call centres would also help create 376 new posts, making the total number actually lost more like 400 out of a total of nearly 3,000.

The 12 call centres due to close are in Doncaster, York, Cambridge, S****horpe, Chester, Bolton, Preston, Chorley, Southport, Croydon, Brighton and Kensington.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

At least the lawyers are helping out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/default.stm

Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 May 2006, 09:30 GMT 10:30 UK

E-mail this to a sheeple Printable version

NHS told to fund treatment abroad

Yvonne Watts paid £3,900 for a hip operation in France
UK patients forced to wait longer than they should for NHS treatment are entitled to reclaim the cost of being treated in Europe, a court has ruled.
The European Court of Justice said the NHS must refund costs if patients waited longer than clinicians advised, even if waiting time targets were met.

HOLA4410

All these cuts drive me nuts. Tone has been pouring money into the NHS, creating loads of new jobs over the last few years. Growing the economy. Yeah rite.

Now they have run out of dosh, and all the poor sods they have been employing in the last 8 years are being given the boot.

Is just another of their managements ****-ups.

HOLA4411