House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The Near Perfect Email Banking Scam

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Received an email supposedly from my bank tonight saying there had been many failed logins on my Internet Banking and it had been disabled. I should try to login correctly to make sure it was ok. As I know my Bank only send emails through my internet banking ID I decided to investigate further.

The Email

Dear MY CORRECT NAME,

Your access to ****** Bank account has been temporarily disabled due to multiple login errors. Protecting the security of your account and of the ****** Bank net is is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive ******* Bank account features.

If you are the rightful holder of the account, please login to http://www. LINK IS A PERFECT COPY OF THEIR INTERNET LOGIN PAGEas we try to verify your identity. YES I`M ASKED TO DO IT THREE TIMES AND YOU HAVE MY PASSWORD YOU ARTFUL B******S

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

**** Bank Service Center | 0845 THE NUMBER IS THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ONE DIGIT DIFFERENCE. I rang the number and an answer machine came in with a recorded message

Copyright ) 2006, **** Bank. All Rights Reserved.

When the url was checked I saw there was a multiple redirect address.

I rang the bank and was simply told to delete it and they asked for no details. Thought quick action they might have caught the culprits. After all they left a telephone number you get a recorded message can`t wait until the morning get worried and login. They`ve got ya. :o

Received an email supposedly from my bank tonight saying there had been many failed logins on my Internet Banking and it had been disabled. I should try to login correctly to make sure it was ok. As I know my Bank only send emails through my internet banking ID I decided to investigate further.

The Email

When the url was checked I saw there was a multiple redirect address.

I rang the bank and was simply told to delete it and they asked for no details. Thought quick action they might have caught the culprits. After all they left a telephone number you get a recorded message can`t wait until the morning get worried and login. They`ve got ya. :o

GULP! You mean this is a hoax???? :unsure:

Nah, just kidding. It does look a good 'un, or should that be a bad 'un?

NDL

I had one the other day supposedly from the Crapwest. I clicked on the link and checked the Url but the link had already been removed so they certainly dealt with it promptly. I've had heaps of them from Ebay, particularly Paypal.

I had one the other day supposedly from the Crapwest. I clicked on the link and checked the Url but the link had already been removed so they certainly dealt with it promptly. I've had heaps of them from Ebay, particularly Paypal.

Spelling usually gives it away, plus if you put any username/password it will accept it. My husband keeps getting ones from paypal - it makes me laugh each time , it invoices him for a size 10 red evening dress that he's "won" from ebay! He's pretty good at spotting them, although the other day he got a "question from seller" from ebay saying "i've been trying to contact you, but you haven't responded to my emails". Of course you have to type in your user name and password to answer a query, and he did, then immediately realised it was a scam. That's a really good one - beware!

Spelling usually gives it away, plus if you put any username/password it will accept it. My husband keeps getting ones from paypal - it makes me laugh each time , it invoices him for a size 10 red evening dress that he's "won" from ebay! He's pretty good at spotting them, although the other day he got a "question from seller" from ebay saying "i've been trying to contact you, but you haven't responded to my emails". Of course you have to type in your user name and password to answer a query, and he did, then immediately realised it was a scam. That's a really good one - beware!

Personally delete all of them, don't even open them including genuine ones from the bank. They do look good but being in the business I know I could knock one up in about 10 minutes.

When I was a college we had to login to the computers, I wrote a spoof application to farm peoples passwords, it looked exactly the same and ran before the real one so people just thought they had made a mistake and retyped, worked really well and got all the teachers login details in about a week.

One of the benefits of offshoring is that these spoof sites will no longer exist.

Because they will have all your details already and wont have to compose complex tricks to fool you :D:D

One of the benefits of offshoring is that these spoof sites will no longer exist.

Because they will have all your details already and wont have to compose complex tricks to fool you :D:D

:lol: You have a point!

It is interesting that the data protection laws do not consider countries like India as safe from a data protection point of view, yet our wise financial services companies farm all our info out there.

Are they breaching the Data Protection Act? Anyone know this Act inside out?

NDL