House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ToilAndTrouble

Cpi Tomorrow

April CPI figures are released tomorrow. Anyone hazard a guess what they'll be?

Milk was flavour of the month in March, will it turn sour?

I'm guessing 2.2%. I don't think the gas/leccy price rises fed into the March figures.

T&T

I'm guessing 2.2%. I don't think the gas/leccy price rises fed into the March figures.

T&T

Wouldn't surprise me if it went negative and they have to start fudging it upwards :P

T&T

I'll go for 1.9% - keeping it below 2% and therefore reinforcing the fact that there will be no rise in IRs.

I'm now going to do an impression of RealistBear (the most unrealistic person in the entire galaxy).........

"the low inflation figure will cause the £ to tank, as the market will think that BoE won't raise interest rates. This will immediately force import cost higher, which will cause everyone to be depressed, which will immediately cause house prices to collapse 50% within the next 3 weeks. Its going to be a real wake up call. Then inflation will take off because imports are costing more, causing the BoE too raise iRs to 7%, this is when it gets really interesting because this will trigger mass repossesions and bankruptcies, causing house prices to fall a further 50%. So within 4-5 weeks is my best projection house prices will now be 25% of their current value. This in turn will cause the economy to fall into an abyss, causing a further immediate fall in house prices of around 60%. I therefore confidently predict that you will find that by the end of June houses will only cost 10% of their current value. This is ample reward for the intelligent bears, who have predicted this scenario for quite a while now"

:lol:

I'll go for 1.9% - keeping it below 2% and therefore reinforcing the fact that there will be no rise in IRs.

I'm now going to do an impression of RealistBear (the most unrealistic person in the entire galaxy).........

"the low inflation figure will cause the £ to tank, as the market will think that BoE won't raise interest rates. This will immediately force import cost higher, which will cause everyone to be depressed, which will immediately cause house prices to collapse 50% within the next 3 weeks. Its going to be a real wake up call. Then inflation will take off because imports are costing more, causing the BoE too raise iRs to 7%, this is when it gets really interesting because this will trigger mass repossesions and bankruptcies, causing house prices to fall a further 50%. So within 4-5 weeks is my best projection house prices will now be 25% of their current value. This in turn will cause the economy to fall into an abyss, causing a further immediate fall in house prices of around 60%. I therefore confidently predict that you will find that by the end of June houses will only cost 10% of their current value. This is ample reward for the intelligent bears, who have predicted this scenario for quite a while now"

:lol:

Milks falling fast - I got an extra pinta left on my doorstep this morning - they are giving it away - could be a hard landing for soft cheese too...

Edited by WSG

You dont think this is based on FACTS do you???

They make it up as they go along - typical Nu Labour.

LIES LIES and err... LIES!!

i reckon 0.2% unexpectedly.!!!

TB

You dont think this is based on FACTS do you???

They make it up as they go along - typical Nu Labour.

LIES LIES and err... LIES!!

i reckon 0.2% unexpectedly.!!!

TB

OT - Haven't a Scoobie what it'll be

Gerrard had a belter on Saturday - That game nearly convinced me that football was interesting - there's still a few dazed Liverpool fans wandering around down here in Cardiff....Good atmosphere in the city that day.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I think it will enter minus valus by mistake, causing red faces all around.

Let me guess... As usual they'll ignore the fact that basic living costs are increasing at somwehere between 10 and 15 percent and instead throw some more iPods into the basket and shout 'inflation is steady at 2%!' :rolleyes:

It'll be what ever 'Crash' Gordon wants it to be.....

Who cares, its irrelevant anyway

I am with Randall on this, it will just produce the figure(or there abouts) with what Gordon Brown wants, and if it ever has the cheek to reflect the fact that the cost of living is rising for 95% of the population, Gordon will simply change it for something else.

It's all a load of ******

I'll go for 2%, basically because of higher Gas and electricity. However it is worth noting that petrol rose about 4.5% , which is about the same as last years 4.2% number. Therefore this will be inflation neutral

1.8%. They will have to quickly remove Chinese made tech stuff though due to the revaluation of the Yuan :lol:

Of course, in the real world inflation in the non-discretionaries is probably running at around 5%. But in the fantasy world of the Miracle Economy inflation does not exist and house prices rise forever without incomes rsing and continue to do so in a weakening economy with growth in unemployment. :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's 1.5% giving an early indication that it's ok for the BoE to drop the IR's - closer to being in line with the ECB rate. This will then devalue the pound to a point where Euro and Pound are at parity, and we can all then happily jump on board mothership Euro.

Hell, what do I know other than the real rate of inflation feels more like 6% than 2%. Mental note, must go buy another iPod.

1.8% I reckon. It would not be in their interests to report a value above the target 2%

AS for gas and electric think I read somewhere that they average any hikes up over the course of the quarter... as it doesn't 'take effect until you get the bill' ! So a 10% hike will be smoothed out over the quarter down to 3.3%....

I'm curious whether the competition commission investigating below cost selling of key items by supermarkets will have an effect. Those items that the supermarkets are keen to price competitively will generally be part of the CPI basket. It's possible that many of the items that they recover margin on are not part of the CPI basket.

I expect that the aggressive pricing will moderate with the threat of action. Probably not for April's figures, but maybe for May's. A small effect maybe, but every little helps.

T&T

Let me guess... As usual they'll ignore the fact that basic living costs are increasing at somwehere between 10 and 15 percent and instead throw some more iPods into the basket and shout 'inflation is steady at 2%!' :rolleyes:

Plasma TV's are getting cheaper so that should help the figs as well :rolleyes:

Hell, what do I know other than the real rate of inflation feels more like 6% than 2%. Mental note, must go buy another iPod.

Its more like 8%