House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Stockmarket Crash Cancelled - Maybe

Could it be that the Chinese Yuan revaluation will stabilise the dollar?

Index Value: 11,395.63

Trade Time: 9:45AM ET

Change: 14.64 (0.13%)

Prev Close: 11,380.99

Open: 11,380.43

Day's Range: 11,344.73 - 11,396.44

52wk Range: 10,062.80 - 11,709.10

Yes. They wear totally black suits, and carry teeny tiny little guns that are nevertheless extremely powerful.

Perhaps their most incredible weapon looks like noting so much as a ball point pen.

With one click of a switch, however, it can convince enormous swathes of population that the past never happened.

>irony off<

Do they go in and buy stuff to stop it falling too much?

Yes, they pile into derivatives in order to prevent an '87 style crash. They also have fun on the floor of the Merc and CBOT when it comes to metals, they act as a cattle prod when there are doubts as to holding treasuries.

Thanks guys. :)

What would happen today during a stock drop would depend on the particulars. Here are current guidelines:

* If the Dow Jones industrial average falls 350 points within a trading day, NYSE trading would be halted for 30 minutes.

* If the DJIA falls another 200 points that day, trading would stop for one hour.

* If the market declines more than 550 points in a day, no further restrictions would be applied.

Why do they say they'd do nothing if the Dow dropped more than 550 points in a day? Would they really let it crash all the way back to potentially zero?

Or would they be too busy calling the National Guard by then?

Why do they say they'd do nothing if the Dow dropped more than 550 points in a day? Would they really let it crash all the way back to potentially zero?

The PPT would rush in well before then piling into the futures market with potentially unlimited amounts of cash. You are seeing it right now

FTSE bad at close but DOW up. Could this be reflecting the greater resilience to recession in the US?

DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE IN (DJI:^DJI) Delayed quote data

Index Value: 11,396.76

Trade Time: 11:54AM ET

Change: 15.77 (0.14%)

Day's Range: 11,344.73 - 11,414.05

52wk Range: 10,062.80 - 11,709.10

Cold/flu analogy going to happen again:

Companies that derive much of their earnings from the US were also lower in spite of the dollar strengthening against the euro and the yen.Amvescap (LSE: AVZ.L - news) , the Anglo-US fund manager, fell 3.3 per cent to 549.5p, Rolls-Royce, the engine maker, lost 2.9 per cent to 430.8p and Wolseley (LSE: WOS.L - news) , the plumbing group, gave up 3.8 per cent to 12.36p.
Edited by Realistbear

Maybe they can pull another rabbit out of the hat, to delay it even further. Who knows?

They surely must be running out of rabbits to pull out of this hat.

I agree, but one could argue they have created all these various asset bubbles all over the place to stop the music from playing.

Who knows what they are thinking of doing next!

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and will look to buy gold over the next couple of weeks.

The problem with an unfolding scenario is it is just that. Sometimes it's not clear exactly what is / has happened until you are some way down the road. As always DYOR etc etc.

3 months ago all the Analysts were talking of the start of a 20-Year Bull Market, now the bear market looms. Makes you wonder what they were thinking then!!

Personally I think this is just a consolidation on recent gains and will back that up with buying more tomorrow.

Personally I think this is just a consolidation on recent gains and will back that up with buying more tomorrow.

Be mindful, never catch a falling knife. Summer is either going to be very boring or very painful.

EU bourses all off 1% +:

Overall, the FTSE Eurofirst 300 was 1.2 per cent weaker at 1,347.1 as the Xetra Dax 30 lost 1 per cent to 5,857.0 and the CAC 40 (Paris: news) in Paris shed 1.7 per cent to 5,064.8.

DOW still up:

DJ INDUSTR AVERAGE (DJI:^DJI)

Index Value: 11,393.15

Trade Time: 5:41PM

Change: 12.16 (0.11%)

Day's Range: 11,344.73 - 11,414.05

52wk Range: 10,098.20 - 11,709.10

Volume: 143,158,848

Its going to hurt you more than its going to me? $ decline not so good for exports?

Once America feels that the whole world feels its pain (i.e. the world's stock markets go down on bad news from the US), it starts to feel self confident again. I suspect this will translate into stability in the US, while the stockmarkets elsewhere are bearish for a few days, and then everything will be back to normal.

Alarm over. ;)

The Dow closed at 11428.77 up 47.78 (0.42%).

£:$ 1.87815 down over a cent.

Hopefully settle things downs down a bit ;)

Its just as I predicted this morning - panic first thing and then the Yanks come on line and the DOW recovers etc etc.

Tomorrow, all the markets will be up and the dollar will firm again, everybody will calm down for a couple of weeks. Then i predict a repeat performance.

The market is being manipulated by speculators in just about everything under the sun. I think there will be a summer of wild fluctuations that have nothing to do with fundamentals but an awful lot to do with fleecing the unsuspecting.

I expect to hear some horror stories over the coming months where good old UK pension funds end up getting scammed after backing the wrong horse and the speculators and hedge funds take them to the cleaners. People here wil then realise the Pension Protection Fund just ain't big enough to protect against the workings of the capitalist system.

My advice to anyone would be stay out of the markets, unless you are really, really sure about what you are doing. You could get lucky, but I think you are very likely to get stung for your savings by the unscrupulous people called speculators.

You have been warned.

Guest muttley

Its just as I predicted this morning - panic first thing and then the Yanks come on line and the DOW recovers etc etc.

Tomorrow, all the markets will be up and the dollar will firm again, everybody will calm down for a couple of weeks. Then i predict a repeat performance.

The market is being manipulated by speculators in just about everything under the sun. I think there will be a summer of wild fluctuations that have nothing to do with fundamentals but an awful lot to do with fleecing the unsuspecting.

I expect to hear some horror stories over the coming months where good old UK pension funds end up getting scammed after backing the wrong horse and the speculators and hedge funds take them to the cleaners. People here wil then realise the Pension Protection Fund just ain't big enough to protect against the workings of the capitalist system.

My advice to anyone would be stay out of the markets, unless you are really, really sure about what you are doing. You could get lucky, but I think you are very likely to get stung for your savings by the unscrupulous people called speculators.

You have been warned.

I pretty much agree with your analysis, but offer a different potential outcome.

The economy is not dictated by stock market speculators, but by how the masses behave. For a recession to occur, we do not need people to be driven to bankcrupcy, merely that they stop spending. The time will soon come, if it is not already here, when he general public realise that they need to save. No more easy money.

This will trigger the recession, maybe even a HPC....who knows?

All IMHO.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I find it strange that the Footsie and Dow played tootsy under the table. Is it due to the special relationship between the US and the UK ? :unsure: