House Price Crash Forum

BBC News 24.....Just saw the feature about the winner of a competition to build a house for £60k to try help first time buyers into the 'property ladder'. It looks quite nice, cost 60k and is built in about 4 days.

ps however it doesn't take into account the land value so it will have to be sold at actual current market value.....!!!!

So is this just a competition to help builders cut costs and therefore boost profits by building houses out of cardboard? As far as my recent discussions with a builder friend the actual cost of building a house hasn't really changed that much over the years set against the cost of land and house prices.

I hope tax payers haven't funded this huge waste of time.

They look very fragile. Wouldn't want a car ramming into it, or it catching on fire. Or any harsh weather!!

Yes but some of them will be "affordable housing" so you can pay a mortgage for 25 years and rent on top for the rest of your life, but thats OK cus the housing association will have the benefit of lower construction costs they can throw a few up as an answer to that difficult housing problem thingy.

This is the best the Govenment can come up with?

What demographic profile are they aiming for next election? - certainly not FTB (or people bothered about their safety/law and order)

Edited by dnd

BBC News 24.....Just saw the feature about the winner of a competition to build a house for £60k to try help first time buyers into the 'property ladder'. It looks quite nice, cost 60k and is built in about 4 days.

ps however it doesn't take into account the land value so it will have to be sold at actual current market value.....!!!!

So is this just a competition to help builders cut costs and therefore boost profits by building houses out of cardboard? As far as my recent discussions with a builder friend the actual cost of building a house hasn't really changed that much over the years set against the cost of land and house prices.

Didn't you know the whole project was just a ruse to keep you renting longer & to help MP's BTL portfolios?

Guest Guy_Montag

They look very fragile. Wouldn't want a car ramming into it, or it catching on fire. Or any harsh weather!!

Or a big, bad wolf huffing & puffing!

BBC News 24.....Just saw the feature about the winner of a competition to build a house for £60k to try help first time buyers into the 'property ladder'...

You hope is misplaced I'm afraid...

These 'affordable' houses are a complete myth. I priced up a self-build a while ago and worked out that I could build a proper house for less than £60K. Give that land isn't included with these sub-standard houses for your £60K they really aren't worth it. I've already heard talk that banks are reluctant to provide mortgages for them and that they'll attrach high buildings insurance premiums due to their fragility and high contents insurance premiums due to their being easier to break into. Furthermore, they aren't affordable at all... Judging by the wages being offered around where I live £60K is absolute tops for most people who are deemed in need of affordable housing. My self build priced-up at £45K but the cheapest piece of land I could find was £85K. It's just another scam to perpetuate the bubble, that's all. If people don't fall for this and hang on they'll get a proper house at a sensible price.

Hmm. Add to the 60K another 100K (at least) to buy a decent plot and you're back where you started...

<_<

Didn't you know the whole project was just a ruse to keep you renting longer & to help MP's BTL portfolios?

What is really cool is that the bricks an mortar approach is cheaper.

Look at the speed that a new estate goes up. The bulk they buy their materials at..

£60,000.. That buys you more then a cardboard house..

Sorry, pre speculative investment..

and land costs.. only cost that much because people (you) pay the profits..

WE dont'.. new investors (you) run out..

then we buy.. its a cycle

Just seen these``affordable`` houses on the t.v.The presenter said that the average cost, when the price of the land is factored in,is SCROLL DOWN

£175,000-------national average house price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pobby

This was just reported on the 6 oclock news. Stated that the price could be £175K!!

Natasha Kaplinsky (or whoever she is) was smirking after the report!

Edit: (for spelling and price mistaken).

Edit: I wonder what the sound proofing is like! :o

Edited by OzzMosiz

So what the BBC was basically saying is that FTBers are invited to take out a massive shared-equity mortgage so that in 25 years from now you can own half a wooden house - but at least you're on the property ladder.

This is not even funny anymore.

This was just reported on the 6 oclock news. Stated that the price could be £175K!!

Natasha Kaplinsky (or whoever she is) was smirking after the report!

Edit: (for spelling and price mistaken).

Edit: I wonder what the sound proofing is like! :o

Living in this place is not worth £170k

Edited by BuyingBear

Anyone got a picture?

I saw a news report on BBC this morning (the male presenter was really excited about them saying how good value they were :rolleyes: )

The reporter walked in, tripped over the open stairs, dividing the kitchen from living area (darn't say room) and then straight out the oposite wall (not sure if this was a door or an incomplete part of the house :lol: )

Upstairs was not shown in any detail.... probably becuase things get smaller still :lol:

No doubt all these middle-aged presenters are already homeowners.

I'm sure once "cut" has been uttered, they'd be slagging off these houses as the joke they are.

So what the BBC was basically saying is that FTBers are invited to take out a massive shared-equity mortgage so that in 25 years from now you can own half a wooden house - but at least you're on the property ladder.

This is not even funny anymore.

Well Kaplinsky seemed to find it funny under her smirks. :angry: