House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashCrash

Do You Get Sick More If You Work In Public Sector ?

Public sector staff took an average of 8.5 days a year off last year, down from 8.9 days in 2002.

However those in the private sector only took an average of six days a year off in 2005, compared with 6.7 days in 2002.

I've had two days off sick in the last eight and a half years! I must remember to take more in future :lol:

Guest Guy_Montag

I think there are maybe a few people that squew the results. My Dad, a retired teacher, used to complain that there were two or three teachers at his school who took the piss. The real problem is it is very difficult to get rid of people who behave like this.

I remember him telling me of someone who phoned in sick having "had a car accident" & was "suffering from whiplash", one of the school secretaries lived near this person & so took a slight detour past their house to see the car, apparently undamaged parked on the street. The secretary mentioned this to her colleagues the next day & after it had got round the staff, got dragged in to the head's office & threatened with sacking for "harrassing" the person who was "sick".

The person with "whiplash" was always off sick, normally for substantial amounts of time (months) before recovering long enough to save her job. There were one or two others who behaved similarly.

Now I'm not that up on employment law, but I imagine that if you try to sack someone for being ill too much, then you might find yourself lumbered with a hefty unfair dismissal case.

Guest Winners and Losers

I am responsible for managing sickness absence where I work. I have only been there for 3 months and done the stats. You can manage it with Sickness Absence Review's and using Capability Policy. I work in not for profit sector (similar to public sector). One of the reasons I believe sickness levels are higher in public sector is because you get more sickness allowance. I was at a seminar recently where someone who works in private sector told me that they only get 3 days paid sick a year. We get 25. Some people just take it as extra holiday. Out of 60 employees, around 20 have had either more than 10 days in one year, more than 6 absences in one year or a combination of both. 20% of the workforce would be subject to Sickness Absence Review under the new system.

Btw, I'm off sick today. :rolleyes:

I wonder of the massive redundancies ( 6000 NTL, 1000 ellesmere, ...) have something to do with making people think twice about taking sick leave. In our slaughterhouse, most people who take a sick leave never come back.

gal_env_agr_09.jpg

post-4795-1147702193.jpg

my sister in law started working for the NHS recently

they have a sickness rota and take it in bloody turns to have time off sick - her team leader phoned in one day "with a headache" and had the day off :angry:

my sister in law (a conscientious soul) couldn't believe it!

me - i had a day off recently (a terrible case of the runs where i couldn't venture more than 20 yards from the toilet!). :huh:

last day off sick was in 1995

private sector worker = mug :rolleyes:

Edited by gasket37

Guest Winners and Losers

It's an institutional thing, I don't know why. I worked for public sector (NHS equivalent) in Australia. We got 5 weeks holiday, 10 weeks sick and an 'Allocated Day Off' :blink: every month. I think I only took 2 weeks annual leave in almost 3 years. If I wanted a holiday I just accrued my ADO's. When I left I got paid all the holiday I had not taken + 17.5% loading on top. The best one is 'stress'. I'm just loving that at the moment, everyone and their dog is off on 'stress', even though their jobs are not stressful. Beats me.