House Price Crash Forum

House Prices Up 4.5% Today

HOLA441

Sorry, couldn't resist this as gold is down. I hope no one here's losing out too much on it.

What next? Is it going to bounce back up to new heights? Interesting.

Good example of how fast it can move whatever.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Wouldn't be surprised to see it drop below $600 after such a run-up. If it did, I'd probably be buying more.

Yes, I can imagine it being a bit of a yo-yo with an upward trend. It still seems below the long-term trend to me, but I can imagine a few people getting their fingers burned along the way.

In some ways it may be good for it to have a bit of a correction now to remind the unwary that it can happen.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Wouldn't be surprised to see it drop below $600 after such a run-up. If it did, I'd probably be buying more.

If it did, and nothing major changed in the economic / political outlook from today I'd be heavily buying...

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

:lol:

Would you recommend buying physical houses or go for the extra leverage from house builders?

JY

God knows, I'm only here to cause trouble, not give advice...

I figure that gold falling means that interest rates are more likely to rise.

How would that work? Not arguing, just not sure what the logic is.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Sorry, couldn't resist this as gold is down. I hope no one here's losing out too much on it.

There's nothing very surprising about it. It's happened before, typically it bounces back quite quickly. If it did fall to $600 it'd be "wa-hoo!" and out with the check book. Regrettably I don't think that is very likely.

I suspect gold will be back over $700 within the week.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Day-to-day movements in this indicator are not so important, anymore than the odd property sale at a -10% down or -20% down from an Estate Agent's evaluation.

Compare with: a week ago, a month ago, a year ago

Not sure that would console me if I'd bought yesterday, though it'll probably bob back up again soon enough.

Anyway, I don't remember you saying day-to-day movements weren't significant in this thread, which I was directly parodying. You seem to have been treating a one-day rise as rather significant there...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...5&hl=real+money

Edited by Magpie

HOLA4415

You're out of date, Maggers old chap.

Houses are now measured in 'Bubbs', which is a complex derivative, compsed of an underlying Gold future, Titanium options, reverse floaters in exotic currencies, and Lard futures.

The heaviest component is Lard, of course. Can't do ANYTHING without lard.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

For the record, here's what Dr Bubb posted on Apr 20th, under the thread title "Property Prices Fell More Than 2% Yesterday, When measured in "real money", Gold".

"PROPERTY in Gold registers Largest Daily drop in a long time: minus over 2%

Let's run the numbers:

1/ Property in Sterling.

The Bull's dream would be 1% per month. I would dispute that, but for the sake of this calculation, I will use that:

Thus: 1% / 30 days = +0.03%

2/ Sterling : +0.67% to $1.793

3/ Gold : +$19 to $638 : + 3.1%

. .

RESULT: Property-in-Gold FELL yesterday by : 2.4% in Gold ounces

Property: "Boring at best", maybe the Bulls should consider the worst"

This is the post I was making fun of when I started this thread.

Edited by Magpie

HOLA4418

I think you will find house builders off over 4% today also. WMPY for example. Infact it's been down nearly 5 days in a row.

The housebuilding stock are giving you a little peek at the future as far as sell prices are concerned.

Enjoy riding the crest of the wave....

HOLA4419

The housebuilding stock are giving you a little peek at the future as far as sell prices are concerned.

Enjoy riding the crest of the wave....

I'm not ramping property, just making a joke about the gold-ramping tendency here. I don't really have a problem with it so long as people remember that gold is a commodity that can rise or fall. I just worry when people get too evangelical and believe in gold as "real money", as I think that can lead to a misplaced trust in it as something magical and invulnerable.

In truth I still think gold's a bit underpriced historically, so if I were betting I'd bet on resumed rises soon. But I'd spread my bets as it can be a volatile asset at times.

HOLA4420

God knows, I'm only here to cause trouble, not give advice...

How would that work? Not arguing, just not sure what the logic is.

Well, it's not exactly scientific, but I bought gold as a hedge against my cash being inflated away. I reason that would happen if the MPC refuses to raise rates in the face of inflation. If that happens, my savings would reduce in value, but gold would rise relative to the pound.

HOLA4421

People speculate in gold to guys..

Its been going up and down for longer then housing..

No investment is safe... none.. Inflation hits cash.. Speculation hits all others.. exchange rates..

Money just moves around.. thats all it does..

Just don't have it in the wrong place at the wrong time.. thats all you to do..

Define Money?

Define its value.

Against gold money buys more less now, against houses much less..

Money..

Its a crime.. dum de dum...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm not ramping property, just making a joke about the gold-ramping tendency here. I don't really have a problem with it so long as people remember that gold is a commodity that can rise or fall. I just worry when people get too evangelical and believe in gold as "real money", as I think that can lead to a misplaced trust in it as something magical and invulnerable.

hey.... does this also mean the pint of milk I bought yesterday has gone up 4.5% in 'real' terms?

I haven't opened it yet...

HOLA4424

hey.... does this also mean the pint of milk I bought yesterday has gone up 4.5% in 'real' terms?

Yep, by the magic of "real money" everything you own is now worth 4.5% more than yesterday, just as everything was worth 2.4% less on April 20th, according to Dr Bubb (see post 18).

Brilliant isn't it? What are you going to buy now you're rich?

HOLA4425
Guest muttley

Take it back and get a refund (in gold, of course.)