House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MEtallic

Crookes, Sheffield, Stagnating?

Obviously not in a hurry to move - nice house though

I thought South Yorkshire was still in a house buying frenzy? - must be just the FTB (£130K-ish) shifting...

http://212.50.188.105/cgi-win/vebra.cgi?de...6/WESTE/54525/2

This came on last year at £225K, never sold, now on again 12 months later at the same price. House across the road on for £289K. Way overpriced. I wonder if either will shift this time round?

That seems quite a lot for Crookes, particularly when Endcliffe Lodge on Fullwood Road was still for sale last time I looked in Ranmoor / Broomhill for 10pc more. There was also another lodge that sold for 205k nearby. There are also three-bedders in Ranmoor Road (rather less students) on the market for 180k, albeit smaller but still with a nice garden. For 235k you can also get that detached coach house place near ths uni.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Obviously not in a hurry to move - nice house though

I thought South Yorkshire was still in a house buying frenzy? - must be just the FTB (£130K-ish) shifting...

The lower priced stuff is still shifting (mostly ex-LA properties) mostly because that's all a lot of people can afford.

The lower priced stuff is still shifting (mostly ex-LA properties) mostly because that's all a lot of people can afford.

Bart. Are you seriously saying that only lower priced ex-council houses are selling in Sheffield - or just Crookes ?

It's not what I'm seeing if you mean Sheffield & surroundings.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Bart. Are you seriously saying that only lower priced ex-council houses are selling in Sheffield - or just Crookes ?

It's not what I'm seeing if you mean Sheffield & surroundings.

Hi Rigsby,

I meant across the whole city. By lower priced stuff I would also include reasonably priced semis (anything under £130k).

Having said that, I tend to focus on the S12 and S20 areas. How are things looking from your perspective?

Hi Rigsby,

I meant across the whole city. By lower priced stuff I would also include reasonably priced semis (anything under £130k).

Having said that, I tend to focus on the S12 and S20 areas. How are things looking from your perspective?

If you had said to me this last year, especially between August 05 and Feb 06, I'd have said that nothing was shifting in my little bit of Barnsley, perhaps just the very low end.

Since Feb 06, indeed when I finally got shut of my last house, all I see are sold signs. OK not the expensive, but around 170K-200k, if its half decent. For all the HPI, I still view £170-220K as expensive, showing my age there Bart.

My new house, I bought it March, someone had dropped out and I got a good deal - moved quick. In the last few weeks, every house has sold on the development, they must have sold the last 20 in 6 weeks and the sales girl says that she could have sold the site 3 times over - if the price is right it'll shift.

Just my tuppence.

Guest Bart of Darkness
For all the HPI, I still view £170-220K as expensive, showing my age there Bart.

Me too. :)

My new house, I bought it March, someone had dropped out and I got a good deal - moved quick. In the last few weeks, every house has sold on the development, they must have sold the last 20 in 6 weeks and the sales girl says that she could have sold the site 3 times over - if the price is right it'll shift.

That's an interesting change of buyer sentiment. Something a bit like the wave of bear turning bull sentiment we had on the main forum not long ago. A combination of prolonged waiting and no sign of major price drops causing people to think "sod it, let's buy anyway" (I sometimes feel like that myself).