House Price Crash Forum

Gap Between Rich And Poor Continues To Fall In The U K

HOLA441

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4771937.stm

The income gap between rich and poor continued to shrink last year because of benefits and taxes.

The wealthiest 20% of households had an original income that was 16 times greater than the poorest 20% of homes.

But after taxes and benefits were taken into account, this gap narrowed to just four-to-one.

Inequality in disposable income rose in the late 1990s to a peak in 2001/02.

But the trend has been reversing since then and the gap is back to where it was in 1996/97.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'll remind myself of that as I pass the 10 Porshe's, 20 Audi TT's, 3 TVR's, 2 DB9's, 1 Ferrari and 1 Lamborgini I see everyday

Note:I own a Ford Racing Puma...

Thats not a cheap car.. I own a 1995 alfa 155 8v, in dented green... :)

mine for £800 three years ago.. result..

HOLA446
HOLA447

This is surely a wind up? The housing boom must have massively increased the wealth gulf.

nothing to do with the rich emigrating/offshoring and the poor sapping out all the earnings of the (ex)middle class at all then.

HOLA448

nothing to do with the rich emigrating/offshoring and the poor sapping out all the earnings of the (ex)middle class at all then.

That's the critical part the bears are missing. The 'poor' are catching up middle England and they are not doing anything to warrant it apart from voting labour.

It's middle England that's paying, you, me, the man next door with his Mondeo, the subsidised classes have more dispoable and they really dispose of it as they know there's more free money where that came from - you are paying for it....

HOLA449

Another Beeb fluff piece that totally belies the facts, social mobility is at its lowest point in 40 years.

Do people really take in this Brownite bull$hit?

"Life has just become gratuitously nasty for many people in the middle; there are problems that people have to deal with now that didn't exist before."

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA4410

Thats not a cheap car.. I own a 1995 alfa 155 8v, in dented green... :)

mine for £800 three years ago.. result..

The result being standing in the pouring rain with oil all over your new shirt? I wouldn't want a Ferrari or a Lamborgini, I'm already enough of an ar$ehole without one.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4771937.stm

The income gap between rich and poor continued to shrink last year because of benefits and taxes.

The wealthiest 20% of households had an original income that was 16 times greater than the poorest 20% of homes.

But after taxes and benefits were taken into account, this gap narrowed to just four-to-one.

Inequality in disposable income rose in the late 1990s to a peak in 2001/02.

But the trend has been reversing since then and the gap is back to where it was in 1996/97.

What about the middle 60% majority? How have they done relatively? [Rhetorical qn.]

Talking about the top 20% is disingenuous - it's the top 5% you have to keep an eye on if you want to track "inequality".

JY