House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

warwickbloke

Gatsos Stealth Tax Or Common Sense

All the publicity about speed cameras, why are so many people still getting caught?

They are painted yellow, the whole country know speeding is frowned on.

Are they just a stealth tax?

If speeding really was the issue, why not just throw any offender in jail for 12 months.

Emergency services aside, zero tolerance, go to jail. If the speed limit isn't clearly marked travel at 30mph just in case.

I guess the instances of speeding may lessen & the gatsos will fall into disrepair as we cannot afford to maintain them.

I am aware there are 'bleeding hearts' who assume that soon all the worst offenders will have been caught enough times to lose their license so therefore the number of repeat offenders will be removed.

YEAH, RIGHT!!

If you are of the mind to repeatedly ignore speed limits, you are hardly going to let a little thing like having no license get in the way of stopping you enjoying one of your favourite pursuits.

We are heading straight for a portion of the population becoming criminalised because the deterrent not to do so is not severe enough, they will continue to re-offend & will pay ever increasing fines for speeding, no license, no insurance, etc. No matter, another way of ensuring government coffers are filled on a regular basis.

Hasn't a law just been passed ensuring that if you are fined then the fine will automatically be deducted from your wages or your benefit cheque?

Don't want TB or GB to miss out on anything, do we!

it's a police state because the sheep in the UK let it happen, they will jump the fence as the economy goes tit's up and fight for the right to be free :ph34r:

All the publicity about speed cameras, why are so many people still getting caught? They are painted yellow

There are two speed cameras in the village where I used to live. One is on a straight piece of road heading into the village, immediately after the speed limit drops. The other is on a straight section of dual carriageway.

Both are painted bright orange. But one is hidden behind a road sign and the other is hidden behind a tree. That alone is a clear sign that the goal is to make money rather than road safety: why the hell would they hide the cameras if they want people to slow down at those points?!?!?!?!??

Meanwhile, people were killed every few years on the pedestrian crossing at the other end of the village, because the visibility is awful and anyone doing more than the speed limit would have a hard time stopping before they hit anyone on the crossing. So aside from the fact that the main danger of speeding in the village is due to lousy road design, why are the speed cameras hundreds of yards away, and why is the camera in that direction _AFTER_ the crossing?

Nothing to do with raising money, I'm sure.

the whole country know speeding is frowned on.

I've rarely met a driver who didn't break the speed limit, and most of the slow drivers I have met are such bad drivers they shouldn't be on the roads.

Guest muttley

My brother is an ex copper, and reckons speed cameras are used to increase detection rates, rather than as a way of raising taxes.

His theory goes like this:

1 burglary.....0 arrests detection rate = 0%

1 speeding motorist 1 ticket detection rate = 100%

Therefore the local plod can skew their detection and conviction rate by concentrating their resources on speeding motorists, rather than real villains.

It's just a theory.

My brother is an ex copper, and reckons speed cameras are used to increase detection rates, rather than as a way of raising taxes.

His theory goes like this:

1 burglary.....0 arrests detection rate = 0%

1 speeding motorist 1 ticket detection rate = 100%

Therefore the local plod can skew their detection and conviction rate by concentrating their resources on speeding motorists, rather than real villains.

It's just a theory.

Statistics eh?

I did a survey & 100% of all those asked agreed with this theory so there must be something in it!

Absolutely: that's precisely why the police prefer harassing the middle class to dealing with real criminals... the conviction rates are far higher.

But a lot of companies make a lot of money from camera fines. Not just the camera operators, but insurance companies, manufacturers of speed cameras, manufacturers of speed camera detectors, and so on... no wonder they're so popular in certain quarters.

Apparantly many speeding fines are illegal in any event.

SPECS_LowerThamesSt.jpg

Spot the error...

Error?

Oh yes, I see, you've spelt apparently incorrectly.

Ha Ha! So many pedants. No the camera was sited before the 20 mile per hour sign.

Full story and other monumental **** ups here

Apparantly many speeding fines are illegal in any event.

ALL speeding fines WITHOUT conviction by jury are illegal. Or rather the fine has no basis in law.

All parking fines are also without basis and should be contested. You should refuse to pay them.

ALL speeding fines WITHOUT conviction by jury are illegal. Or rather the fine has no basis in law.

All parking fines are also without basis and should be contested. You should refuse to pay them.

Yes it runs contrary to Magna Carta under which fines can only be levied by a court - NOT a traffic Warden. I understand that there is a test case going through the courts.

Ha Ha! So many pedants. No the camera was sited before the 20 mile per hour sign.

Full story and other monumental **** ups here

Sorry!! Cheap shot.

Thanks for the link, sort of goes a long way to confirming the stealth tax theory, don't it.

Interesting comments about the 'trial by jury' being the only legal fining, I guess a change in the law is not too far away.