House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RobertPaulson

Black Monday

Well maybe... :D

Could be a very volatile day, bearish news all weekend, USD/JPY levels near intervention by the BoJ and falling (they pumped $200-300b in back in 2003/4 at these support levels) and asian markets leading the way already (Nikkei down 1.62%, Kospi down 2.3%, Singapore 2.6%, Australia 1.6% and Taiwan 1%). DOW down after the FTSE closed on friday, the list goes on...

Anyone care to bet which way london will open today?

Yep, still going down. Some latest figures from the BBC:

Asia Pacific

time index value change %

Sydney All Ordinaries Mon 07:12 5195.70 -89.80 -1.70

Hong Kong Hang Seng Mon 05:37 16610.75 -291.10 -1.72

Tokyo Nikkei Mon 07:10 16486.91 -114.87 -0.69

Singapore STI Mon 07:12 2547.25 -73.33 -2.80

Perhaps my choice of emerging markets for this year's ISA was a mistake.....

Falling stock markets may strengthen house prices - remember it is all the BTL investors who took thier pensions out of the stock market, after the dotcom bubble burst, who have played a major role in driving up house prices.

We need to see interest rates rise for an HPC - not stock market falls.

Well maybe... :D

Could be a very volatile day, bearish news all weekend, USD/JPY levels near intervention by the BoJ and falling (they pumped $200-300b in back in 2003/4 at these support levels) and asian markets leading the way already (Nikkei down 1.62%, Kospi down 2.3%, Singapore 2.6%, Australia 1.6% and Taiwan 1%). DOW down after the FTSE closed on friday, the list goes on...

Anyone care to bet which way london will open today?

House prices are up, the economy is fine!

I think the market thinks there will be IR rises, because they think that there is inflation brewing and that the dollar is in the process of collapsing.

We'll see, this could be an interesting week.

Guest wrongmove

The Nikkei closed down 0.69%, Australia down 1.76% and Hong Kong down 2.00%, Singapore down 2.56% so not quite as bad as OP. Perhaps most importantly, the dollar has strengthened slightly against most currencies. FTSE futures are down 40 against the index, they were down 80 last night, so we may not see total carnage today after all. We'll find out soon.

Edited to update numbers.

Edited by wrongmove

The Nikkei closed down 0.69%, Australia down 1.76% and Hong Kong down 1.72%, so not quite as bad as OP. Perhaps most importantly, the dollar has strengthened slightly against most currencies. FTSE futures are down 40 against the index, they were down 80 last night, so we may not see total carnage today after all. We'll find out soon.

Down 30 (0.5%) at open. Hope you spread betters last night opened up bets!

Guest wrongmove

Down 30 (0.5%) at open. Hope you spread betters last night opened up bets!

I assume you mean the FTSE 100 ? If you went short last night the offer was down 80, so you would currently be about 50pts down.

For fans of binary betting, IG index was offering 6.4 on the ftse to rise last night. It is now 39.2 and rising fast ! (roughly speaking, the odds on it rising have dropped from about 15/1 to 3/2)

Edited to add: odds on ftse rising now back to 4/1 - it's going down today, but perhaps not by very much.

Edited by wrongmove

Falling stock markets may strengthen house prices - remember it is all the BTL investors who took thier pensions out of the stock market, after the dotcom bubble burst, who have played a major role in driving up house prices.

FTSE down 50 and falling rapidly. The key here is confidence. With a global collapse in the markets there is going to be consequences for employment and debt repayment. HPI and a deep recession has been hitherto unknown!

Guest wrongmove

This is great. The sooner you lot are wiped out, the sooner I can buy up your so called assets at 50% off!

:)

That's not fair TTRTR. No-one here has ever said anything like that to you now, have they ?

:P

This is great. The sooner you lot are wiped out, the sooner I can buy up your so called assets at 50% off!

Strange, I was just thinking that about you... :P

I have to agree with TTRTR--a global meltdown will strike at confidence and debt will become the new reality! Many have Mewed to get in the stock market bandwagon and margin calls will be coming in thick and heavy. The banks will run for cover and tighten the screw on lending due to defaults which will squeeze the rest of the life out of the investment market. THings are happening so rapidly that the follow on from the collapse of the globasl markets to a full on HPC will be truncated. Should be some bargains at the bottom quicker than we all thought!

So houses down 50% would not affect you?

Guest The_Oldie

It's people who have all their eggs in one basket who could well get into trouble :rolleyes:. Time will tell, but I would be extremely worried if I had the majority of my assets in property at the moment.

Guest wrongmove

I have to agree with TTRTR--a global meltdown will strike at confidence and debt will become the new reality! Many have Mewed to get in the stock market bandwagon and margin calls will be coming in thick and heavy. The banks will run for cover and tighten the screw on lending due to defaults which will squeeze the rest of the life out of the investment market. THings are happening so rapidly that the follow on from the collapse of the globasl markets to a full on HPC will be truncated. Should be some bargains at the bottom quicker than we all thought!

I hope you are right RB, but recent history suggests that this is just not true. The markets crashed bigtime just a few years ago, or have you forgotten ? And what happened to house prices ?

What assests, i havnt got anything for you to buy at 50% off :lol:

Shares down 50% will mean you lot will be begging to rent my places from me, whilst at the same time the BOE will have to drop rates by 1% + to head off a recession.

A complete and utter win/lose scenario, me being the winner of course.

Silly troll

FTSE down 1.3%

Edited by nimmmm