House Price Crash Forum

The Economic Decline Of The South West

HOLA441
HOLA442

I am getting out..

I have never done London... and as sick as i have been down here watching educated people congratulate themselves on how much their houses are worth,. It is getting depressing watching them getting scared..

There are other ways to make money... hard work being one..

and I now wish to be surrounded by such people again..

Back to the south east.. London I think..

Its getting bad down here.. the bulls are not nice scared.. and as annoying as the boom has been.. watching people now realise the future is going to be different now..

How many have their entire lies tied into this hysteria...?

you think we moan...? christ.. never before has the housing booms had so many tying so much into it..

It is going to be messy..

HOLA443

Hi apom,

We're interested in moving to the Westcountry (it's where I'm from) - we've been looking at the Taunton area, Exeter, various other places.

How would you say the market is there? I ask because the new year bounce which obviously afflicted the South East didn't seem so prevelent in, say, Taunton where plenty of the house we saw last summer are STILL on rightmove - either for the same price or a measly few K less.

One thing probably holding us back is the lack of job choice in the South West. I don't mind a pay cut, but the South West seems to be typified by dismal pay and mammoth commutes. In my parents village it's now quite typical for people to work in Bath or Bristol (over an hour away with no snarl-ups), which would have been unheard of when i was a kid.

We're thinking of starting/making full-time our own business if we did move.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA444

I think self-employment is a good option, so good luck if that's what you choose.

Hi apom. If I relocated to the SE, I think I'd choose N Kent - somewhere close to Canterbury perhaps. I've been thinking along similar lines recently. This part of W Wales is starting to struggle. And N Kent is cheaper than here (!?).

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA445

from what I can tell there are many new builds struggling to sell, and I did see that there is massive stagnation..

but then new builds will sell as there seem to be a few ready to grip that debt mountain with both hands..

the ladder seems to be dead.. ish..

hard to say..

If I had equity I would realise that any losses would be from boom gains... perhaps..

It's too messy now to risk it for me..

but you cannot earn (the vast majoritycannot earn) enough for the prices to be attainable..

and all the "Doing Well" conversations seem to be house price related..

does anyone out there remember carears>??? anyone??/

working hard...??

that either?

HOLA446

How would you say the market is there? I ask because the new year bounce which obviously afflicted the South East didn't seem so prevelent in, say, Taunton where plenty of the house we saw last summer are STILL on rightmove - either for the same price or a measly few K less.

Nothing moving down in South Somerset, prices are slowly going down, 5-10% in the last year.

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness

Anyone know what that DadofaMonkey loon over on This Is Money has to say about this.

I used to go there before discovering HPC and he was like a stuck record about the SW.

HOLA448