House Price Crash Forum
libitina

New Tv Being Sold Every 15 Seconds

http://money.independent.co.uk/personal_fi...ticle364458.ece

Wheres the money coming from?

I want this one. :wub:

B&O often get a slagging off - I laugh especially when people like B&W, the 'audiophile' speaker people are using a B&O amp in one of there products! There is a lot more to them than pretty looks! You might want to MEW your future property to afford one of there systems though Lib!!!

I am sure you posted to a BV-7 then, has the link changed?

Edited by ollk

its a scam that anologue signal is being turned off

this makes us all go out and buy set top boxes for each TV in the house, or new TV equipement entirely

goverment gets its taxes, manufacturers make money, its winners all round <_<

Plasma and LCD may be overtaken by this:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/25/news/inter...fortune_020606/

Canon to roll out new flat screen technology
CEO Mitarai has turned the camera company into a profit engine. His next billion$ bet: a better TV.

From what I see of LCD it is awful compared with the old CRT technology (unless you have HD). With Sony-Samsung bumping production this year prices should drop 50% by Christmas--sooner if we are in recession by then. <_<

Only way we'll end up with a posh telly in the next few years is if our friend upgrades his lcd one. We'd have to rent a bigger house to fit it in though ;)

Edited by libitina

I fell into the TV trap, I bought a 36 inch Sony tube TV a couple of years ago.

Fabulous picture, but what a pain. It weighs more than I do; when I moved into my old flat I had to pay a couple of removal men just to carry it up the stairs. Just the stand weighs a ton.

What you own owns you! Simplify, man...

a work colleague asked if i wanted her 'old' tv as she's just bought a new flat screen tv. How old was her tv? just over 2 years old...her sell to me was 'oh, have my old tv there's nothing wrong with it and the picture is beautiful' lol! so why buy a new one then!

some people seem to enjoy flushing money down the toilet!

i haven't got digital or cable either, i won't until they say 'analogue will go off tomorow'

Regarding analogue, i feel sorry for poor old pensioners who need to spend that money on bills and food, not blooming tv.

its a scam that anologue signal is being turned off

this makes us all go out and buy set top boxes for each TV in the house, or new TV equipement entirely

goverment gets its taxes, manufacturers make money, its winners all round <_<

A Freeview digital TV box is only about thirty quid, and they're designed for analogue tellies. Unfortunately I can't get a Freeview signal where I live.

:(

The TV fever is due to the imminent World Cup in Germany.

That mean you have to go out and buy a new one? :blink:

I'm afraid I'm guilty of one of those TV sales, having purchased a Samsung 32" LCD job for my XBox 360. I let it linger on my credit card for around a day or two then cleared it off in one hit. You see kids, solvency does have its merits!

As RealistBear highlights, the TV looks pants on it, but that's more down to the screen showing up the poor quality of the signal it's receiving. When you fire up the 360 and see what it can do under HD it is simply gobsmacking.

An 81" LCD telly would be nice, though. That and a bigger pair of eyes! :D

I'm afraid I'm guilty of one of those TV sales, having purchased a Samsung 32" LCD job for my XBox 360. I let it linger on my credit card for around a day or two then cleared it off in one hit. You see kids, solvency does have its merits!

As RealistBear highlights, the TV looks pants on it, but that's more down to the screen showing up the poor quality of the signal it's receiving. When you fire up the 360 and see what it can do under HD it is simply gobsmacking.

Bet you've got one of those La-z-boy chairs too.

Guest Guy_Montag

Regarding analogue, i feel sorry for poor old pensioners who need to spend that money on bills and food, not blooming tv.

I think, & I've no source for this, I just remember hearing somewhere, that the BBC is going to provide the poor & needy with set-top boxes. It's part of the reason the licence went up so much.

Wait for all your friends to buy the biggest LCD screen - and instead buy yourself an CRT portable and a projector. You need a big pale wall though.

At least they are easier to carry if you have to move because your landlord has failed to keep up payments on his mortgage.

I once attended an after party where someone projected some pr0n onto the neighbouring block with their home cinema equipment - I'm easily impressed by juvenile pranks such as this. I believe Status Quo had a similar story.

btp

The stupid thing is that the broadcasters compress the digital TV picture so heavily that you may not see much benefit from a new TV in any case, at least until HD broadcasts become common. The good parts of a digital broadcast look better, but the bad parts look awful.

I've seen *ahem* 'back up discs' ( :unsure: ) of Lost season 2 that were recorded from HDTV and even on a normal tv, theres a big difference in the quality of the picture.

That mean you have to go out and buy a new one? :blink:

Totally True, I recieved a mini argos booklet. and on the front it said, "get your new TV for Germany 2006". the book consisted of 20 pages of LCD/Plasma TV's, DVD recorders hard disk recorders etc. i think the cheapest TV was £399

Ahh, the joys of trying to keep up with high tech fashion :D

I'm quite happy with our 32" Sony Wega CRT for everyday use, which is pretty much the peak of CRT technology. We then have our 96" motorised screen and projector for movies. It's great to wander into Dixons and watch them try to sell us some nasty LCD :rolleyes:

Of course now that the sheep have all got their LCDs and DVDs, they'll all have to upgrade to HD screens and HDDVD/Blue Ray. We're already sorted for standard 720p hidef on the projector, but even we've got to consider an upgrade if we want the upcoming 1080p.

Basically, ALL current player and display hardware will be old and busted in a couple of years (again), and many of the so-called "HD Ready" sets are obsolete already ("HD ready" without HDCP decoding..yeah real useful!!)

As for the analogue switch off - since we're moving inexorably towards convergence of all media (Internet/PC/TV/DVD/Music etc), almost certainly delivered via fibre, it makes a lot of sense. The BBC has the right idea. They have said very recently that technology is moving very fast, but the thing that people need is CONTENT, irrespective of how it's delivered. With the dawning of 'video on demand', conventional channels are dead.

"HD ready" without HDCP decoding..yeah real useful!!

However, HDCP hasn't been turned on yet: even the MPAA aren't dumb enough to kill pretty much the entire market for HD DVDs. And I believe it's already been broken, so turning it on later would be pointless anyway: particularly as it's not as though Joe Sixpack is going to be copying HD DVDs by capturing the DVI output, and the Chinese companies which press disks for the MPAA will just copy the disks for the pirates.

That said, while I was an 'early adopter' of DVDs and HDTV camcorders, it will be a long time before I buy HD DVDs, precisely because of all the DRM crap.

As for the analogue switch off - since we're moving inexorably towards convergence of all media (Internet/PC/TV/DVD/Music etc), almost certainly delivered via fibre, it makes a lot of sense. The BBC has the right idea. They have said very recently that technology is moving very fast, but the thing that people need is CONTENT, irrespective of how it's delivered. With the dawning of 'video on demand', conventional channels are dead.

The days of fibre to every home is only 6/7 years off. BT have started the 21CN project contractors (Siemens, Cisco, Huawei, etc etc) to provide VOIP and data services.