House Price Crash Forum

Vis – How To Get Something Back From Them!

HOLA441

My mate's income is about five times what mine is, and he's a rampant bull who believes that house prices only ever go up, interest rates only ever go down, and that, on £17K, I should be buying a one-bed 'luxury apartment' (shoebox) for £145K before I miss out.

Anyway, he keeps recommending me to developers and EAs to be put on their mailing lists and, as a result, I keep receiving invitations to launch parties for pretentious new developments. So, what the hell, I'm going to go to all of their parties, eat their food and drink their champagne. Beats paying for lunch, doesn't it?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

these things are cheesy.

i remember in 1984 my brother in law bought a brand new citroen BX and was invited to the 'launch party'.

it was hosted by the local citroen garage and it was w*nk. a few crumbs of cheese. cheap wine and the smallest collection of regional nimby bores you could ever wish not to meet.

HOLA445

Good man! Maybe we could get some "sophisticated" serviettes printed with the HPC web-page address, and you could leave a pile of them strategically placed next to the prawn cocktals! :P

Meanwhile, Bingley Bloke, ignore your friend's advice. He may be a good friend: but at the moment, all potential FTBs should do what I'm doing: renting a lovely place, which gives massive freedom to withdraw from the agreement once the HPC has finished. I, for example, may simply take a year off and take a trip round the world. Why not? The cost will be no more than I save by NOT buying a house.

DON'T BUY! But enjoy the food....

HOLA446

i remember in 1984 my brother in law bought a brand new citroen BX and was invited to the 'launch party'.

it was hosted by the local citroen garage and it was w*nk. a few crumbs of cheese. cheap wine and the smallest collection of regional nimby bores you could ever wish not to meet.

Yeah, I think you've got to get the right car manufacturer... Me and the same mate stumbled across the BMW Z4 launch at Holland Park BMW in London and had a whale of a time... free cocktails (I found one of the ones they were serving the following evening in a winebar for £8.50!), gorgeous food, and some choice woman too :lol:

Good man! Maybe we could get some "sophisticated" serviettes printed with the HPC web-page address, and you could leave a pile of them strategically placed next to the prawn cocktals! :P

Sounds like a plan!!!

Meanwhile, Bingley Bloke, ignore your friend's advice. He may be a good friend: but at the moment, all potential FTBs should do what I'm doing: renting a lovely place, which gives massive freedom to withdraw from the agreement once the HPC has finished. I, for example, may simply take a year off and take a trip round the world. Why not? The cost will be no more than I save by NOT buying a house.

DON'T BUY! But enjoy the food....

Yeah, he's a good mate but he doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that house prices can go down, interest rates can go up, and not everyone is on three times the 'national average salary'.

I'll just enjoy the free lunches and keep an eye on the quality of what's in my glass!

Edited by Bingley Bloke

HOLA447

I'll just enjoy the free lunches and keep an eye on the quality of what's in my glass!

Being a hpcer at a party remember your glass is half empty so keep going back for top ups.