House Price Crash Forum

Leipzig Buy To Let

HOLA441
I have just bought 2 apartment blocks in Leipzig. It is a funny place, lots of beautiful empty place that cost more to do up than buying done up houses from owners that have gone bankrupt. Nice town centry, some big new businesses but still 20% unemployment. One for the long long term. Yields in twon centre are 7-8%, outside towncentre 10-12%.

That sounds very low to me for an apartment block in Leipzig, even fully renovated

• 9 months later...
HOLA442

Just a quick update about Leipzig

From Wikipedia german version. I got the following data:

Population: 510,000 was 506,000 a year ago, growth of 0.7% per annum.

Unemployment 15.1% was 17.9% a year ago.

Outside Berlin only 2 other East German cities are experiencing population growth: Dresden & Leipzig. All smaller cities and villages experience depopulation.

• 2 years later...
HOLA443

Just a quick update about Leipzig

From Wikipedia german version. I got the following data:

Population: 510,000 was 506,000 a year ago, growth of 0.7% per annum.

Unemployment 15.1% was 17.9% a year ago.

Outside Berlin only 2 other East German cities are experiencing population growth: Dresden & Leipzig. All smaller cities and villages experience depopulation.

sold in time , 2 years + on whats the latest with liepzig ? / berlin im starting to get interested - what price are blocks going for etc ?

HOLA444

sold in time , 2 years + on whats the latest with liepzig ? / berlin im starting to get interested - what price are blocks going for etc ?

Population is still growing. Now it is 518,000 (December 2009). This is a good sign. Just check immobilienscout24.de (use google chrome browser to automatically translate) for the prices of apartment blocks. I am happy with the one I have but not keen to add more blocks to my portfolio (more a tax issue).

I would say go and seek fro yourself, I had to do 4 trips to find what I wanted. I checked Berlin, Leipzig & Dresden.

• 3 years later...
HOLA445
  • 2 months later...
HOLA446
  • 2 years later...
HOLA447

I thought after 1 year lets check again and do an update. You can follow my post on this thread back to 2006 when I first invested in Leipzig. The characteristics then were:

• High unemployment
  • Very Cheap prices
  • Difficulty with finding finance
  • Everyone was negative about house price growth

10 Years later Leipzig has grown from just under 500K to 570K population. Unemployment is 9% still higher then rest of Germany. We have seen a boom in prices in Munich, Hamburg and Berlin. Tier 2 cities have been picking up and this has gone to Leipzig & Dresden as well. I am out. I think I have seen a pretty decent return.

I might try other places in Germany that have not got caught onto rising prices. Tier 2 cities 300K to 700K population wise. Good infrastructure, university, low unemployment, rising population but unloved. 

• 5 months later...
HOLA448
On 10/21/2016 at 2:34 PM, soldintime said:

I thought after 1 year lets check again and do an update. You can follow my post on this thread back to 2006 when I first invested in Leipzig. The characteristics then were:

• High unemployment
  • Very Cheap prices
  • Difficulty with finding finance
  • Everyone was negative about house price growth

10 Years later Leipzig has grown from just under 500K to 570K population. Unemployment is 9% still higher then rest of Germany. We have seen a boom in prices in Munich, Hamburg and Berlin. Tier 2 cities have been picking up and this has gone to Leipzig & Dresden as well. I am out. I think I have seen a pretty decent return.

I might try other places in Germany that have not got caught onto rising prices. Tier 2 cities 300K to 700K population wise. Good infrastructure, university, low unemployment, rising population but unloved. 

Try Flensburg - an absolutely beautiful town (I would only invest where I would live to live) uni, port, but unforgotten - growing population - still good prices but I suspect not for too long