House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

F T S E In Freefall Now Off 105 Points At 3:58 Pm

Are we getting a heads up from the City that IR hikes may be larger than the market was expecting? The ECB are toying with .50% and balances must be maintained. This could be the kiss of death from Gordon and the end of his ambition to become the Miracle Premier.

120 now. If it collapses (ie. 1000 +) it will be interesting to see if confidence remains in Gordon and sterling?

The feel good factor powering borrowing (MEW) and spending will evaporate. Didn't we read that many OO were MEWing to invest in the SM?

What I wonder about is why Capita Group tanked so badly:

CAPITA GRP (LSE:CPI.L) Edit

Last Trade: 269.50 p

Trade Time: 1:44PM

Change: Down 190.25 (41.38%)

Prev Close: 459.75

Open: 456.25

Bid: 454.00 x 7423

Ask: 454.75 x 15283

1y Target Est: 497.50

Yup, inflation has spooked the markets.

Am I glad I removed my portfolio off the market a couple of weeks ago.In part,something I read hear made me uneasy!

The bubble is bursting

I can smell burning fingers out there.

Remember my motto

WHATEVER GOES UP WILL COME DOWN

Raise your glasses to the HPC (long overdue)

Guest Riser

Are we getting a heads up from the City that IR hikes may be larger than the market was expecting? The ECB are toying with .50% and balances must be maintained. This could be the kiss of death from Gordon and the end of his ambition to become the Miracle Premier.

Blair must be finding it hard to keep that cheesy grin off his face while talking to Brown. He knows the economy will put an end to Browns chances of ever being PM all he has to do is get over te next couple of months. The Leadership battle is about to get more vicious in the next couple of weeks the biggest victim will be the Labour party.

good call pobby

im staying well clear, though gonna take a small punt on sony.

i also think gold will see a small correction of about 15 usd next week then tread water for a couple weeks then continue up

Nay a sign of a bouce.. FTSE now -2%, Midcaps nearly -3%!

Worst day for a LONG time for the UK markets.

Housebuilders look like they peaked mid-March:

Builders

Guest Riser

I did tell you lot. Sell in May & go away......

Im short the Dow bet you wish you could short property :D

What I wonder about is why Capita Group tanked so badly:

CAPITA GRP (LSE:CPI.L) Edit

Last Trade: 269.50 p

Trade Time: 1:44PM

Change: Down 190.25 (41.38%)

Ouch, I think it's a data error, it's actually trading at 454p

Guest Riser

Who's gonna win today? Tha Dax or the Footsie?

I suspect we will see a sell of in the Dow later this PM close -135 gut feel nothing else B)

So why's gold done a U-ey?? I just spuffed some cash on it thinking it would continue to react well under today's stock market woes, as cash tried to find a safe haven...bah l'll never get this market malarky. :huh:

Edited by DabHand

Just on 130 down at the close. IR will run riot now that the ECB are toying with .50%. Looks like the inflationary cycle begins. OIL did it in the last two crashes and here we go again.

TTRTR should have sold before the FT news this morning. The reason so many investors lose is not because they buy at the wrong time its because they don't sell at the right time. Often to prove a point.

Consumer confidence is going to take a massive hit after today's route.

EU on melt down course:

http://today.reuters.com/investing/MarketR...OCKS-URGENT.XML

European stocks dive on rate, forex fears

Fri May 12, 2006 11:39 AM ET

PARIS, May 12 (Reuters) - Fresh inflation and interest rate worries pounded European shares to their lowest level in a month on Friday, with mining and car shares adding to the market's woes on
fears a weaker dollar would hurt the region's exporters.

Low dollar=low Euro, eventually.

FTSE 100 5,912.10-2.15%

DAX Index 5,916.28 16:37 -138.44 (-2.29%)

CAC 40 Index 5,150.45 16:52 -112.49 (-2.14%)

IBEX 35 Index 11,710.20 16:37 -298.20 (-2.48%)

OMX Stockholm 30 Index 1,013.69 16:37 -29.71 (-2.85%)

America catches a cold and Europe gets the flu. EU stock losses today outpacing the DOW/

Edited by Realistbear

I must admit this is all starting to look very interesting.

Looks like the dollar is pretty much collapsing now.. :blink:

The latest article that I've seen in the Times is that the massive surge in these commodity prices will cause the Fed to keep raising Interest Rates beyond where they might otherwise comfortably stop.

Is the massive surge in commodity prices the first domino of the HPC trigger ?

Of course, the dollar might pull back and this might be just a bit of a sneeze today. But the action that has been going on in the markets today looks more certain than usual.

Personally, I am preparing to buy more gold as I think that $700/ounce will look pretty cheap a year from now.

I must admit this is all starting to look very interesting.

Looks like the dollar is pretty much collapsing now.. :blink:

The latest article that I've seen in the Times is that the massive surge in these commodity prices will cause the Fed to keep raising Interest Rates beyond where they might otherwise comfortably stop.

Is the massive surge in commodity prices the first domino of the HPC trigger ?

Of course, the dollar might pull back and this might be just a bit of a sneeze today. But the action that has been going on in the markets today looks more certain than usual.

Personally, I am preparing to buy more gold as I think that $700/ounce will look pretty cheap a year from now.

I am not so sure Europe will escape the aftermath of a US recession/depression. Look at the indices today--all down by twice the DOW rate. Its the old Cold-Flu effect. Today its the dollar tomorrow it could be the Euro or the pound. My bet it will be the pound because Gordon's Miracle Economy is a hot air baloon about to feel the IR surge.

Ouch, I think it's a data error, it's actually trading at 454p

Hmm, this is where I have the info from: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EFTSE

CAPITA 269.50 p 1:44PM Down 190.25 (41.38%)

which does add up.

Capita (or Crapita, as affectionately known) does mainly govt. contracts and IT disasters. They were by far the worst hit company in the FTSE.

Hmmmm....

Edited by Cinnamon

Today its the dollar tomorrow it could be the Euro or the pound. My bet it will be the pound because Gordon's Miracle Economy is a hot air baloon about to feel the IR surge.

I don't agree, I think that the US$ will be the prime target of the markets, and the $ will collapse first. If the £ collapses as well it will be because the $ has collapsed.

America is the engine the Western economic world, and in absolute terms have been the most indulgent when it comes to the credit binge fuelled by IRs that were ridiculously low (i.e. 1%) under Greenspan.

As well as the incredible debt, Bush is unpopular, that they have the Iraq war to fund principally, there have been public comments questioning the dollar as the world's reserve currency and so on.

In relative terms I think that the markets look at the UK as being more "well run" even though I know many on here will disagree.

I think that the troubles in America are more transparent and they will feel the economic shock first, followed soon after by the UK.

It looks to me like America will be punished for having irrationally low Interest Rates, as the Fed may be forced to now push way higher than what they wanted.

I.e. the IR "undershoot" following 9/11 will now turn into an "overshoot" which will send the US into recession, followed by the UK and with commodity/oil prices causing stagflation...

Hmm, this is where I have the info from: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EFTSE

CAPITA 269.50 p 1:44PM Down 190.25 (41.38%)

which does add up.

Capita (or Crapita, as affectionately known) does mainly govt. contracts and IT disasters. They were by far the worst hit company in the FTSE.

It's at 456p now, take a look at your graph, the yahoo feed has just caught up.

So why's gold done a U-ey?? I just spuffed some cash on it thinking it would continue to react well under today's stock market woes, as cash tried to find a safe haven...bah l'll never get this market malarky. :huh:

It's a British disease - 'buy at the top'! Everyone does it.

You know everyone here is saying SELL SHARES!? Well don't listen. Stay in. Shares will continue on the up once gold has properly tanked and property has 'corrected'.

Shares are the natural environment for the investor - they're coming home like crows to a rooky wood.

Only the average punter is yet to return to the stock market (once bitten and all that) - once they do, they'll do it in their droves. ONly when the market is at the top though!! and that's not yet. This is just a natural down oscillation in a bigger cycle.

Some friends of mine told me when the stock market was at the bottom "don't buy!". I duly ignored them and have doubled me money (not much, only a few thousand).

Alvin Hall recommends "100 minus your age" as a percentage of your savings in shares.