House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

20% Of U K Workers Now Fear Redundancy

http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/200...+redundancy.htm

One in five UK employees lives in fear of redundancy

12 May 2006 09:24

UK workers feel less secure in their jobs than staff almost anywhere else in Europe, according to new figures.
One in five (21%) UK employees still believes there is a possibility they will be laid off in the next year
, according to the research which covers 9,000 full time workers in 18 countries.
Almost three quarters (71%) of respondents said that if they were laid off it would be difficult to find employment of a similar grade on similar pay.

Irrational exhuberance and spending may dry up soon as fear grips more and more sheeple.

12 May 2006 09:24

UK workers feel less secure in their jobs than staff almost anywhere else in Europe, according to new figures.
One in five (21%) UK employees still believes there is a possibility they will be laid off in the next year
, according to the research which covers 9,000 full time workers in 18 countries.
Almost three quarters (71%) of respondents said that if they were laid off it would be difficult to find employment of a similar grade on similar pay.

Irrational exhuberance and spending may dry up soon as fear grips more and more sheeple.

Not surprising.

What a wonderful miracle economy we have.

And what are you lot doing on your computers? Its a lovely day out there, you should all be out spending on your credit cards to support our economy! :P

I live in hope of redundancy. I'd get a tax-free five-figure sum to add to my savings and could fly over to Canada, marry my girlfriend and buy a nice house for cash.

I have pretty much been under some kind of fear of losing my job since I started work as a grad in 1999.

The reality is that companies make you feel insecure in your job because then they can get away, as my company has done, with giving little or no pay rises. This seems to be endemic behaviour in most large/corporate companies now. It offers no motivation to employees and produces a kind of 'f*ck my employer' attitude. I'll take sick days and have no feelings of guilt, I feel absoltuely no loyalty to my company - but if that's the way they want it then they can have it that way.

I live in hope of redundancy. I'd get a tax-free five-figure sum to add to my savings and could fly over to Canada, marry my girlfriend and buy a nice house for cash.

I got offered voluntary redundancy last year - 5 figure sum. I turned it down because I didn't know what else I would do and didn't want another job in the same sector. Wish I could get offered it now as I'm leaving in sept to study but unfortunately nothing on the horizon at the mo!

The legal minimum is (still I think) £260 per year that you have worked there and they can make you work your notice period. Not everyone gets generous terms on redunancy!

I live in hope of redundancy.

Me too! I want a year off work so I can spend it focusing on getting a business venture off the ground, but I'd need an income during that first year. I am saving up to be able to do this but it's very slow. If I were made redundant I'd have the money I needed straight away, if the size of the payments made to people who have served much shorter 'terms' in other departments and been made redundant are anything to go by. It just happens that, sod's law, my department is the busiest and looking to hire, not fire!

A female colleague got a year off on full pay to have a baby an then another year's pay on top as severence when she decided she didn't want to come back, but I get bugger all for my lifestyle choice :angry:

All I need is £12K... How hard can it be?

As far as I know they've never made anyone work their notice period after a redundancy, and my notice period is not short. That alone would come close to five figures after tax, even before mandatory redundancy payments :).

IT redundancy packages have usually been good because they don't want to discourage people from joining in future. I know when my last employer laid off 1/3 of the staff the minimum they paid was two months' salary, even to the guy who'd joined the day the redundancy announcement was made.

Plus, of course, they don't trust people not to trash systems if they're made redundant and forced to continue working.

Edited by MarkG

I have pretty much been under some kind of fear of losing my job since I started work as a grad in 1999.

The reality is that companies make you feel insecure in your job because then they can get away, as my company has done, with giving little or no pay rises. This seems to be endemic behaviour in most large/corporate companies now. It offers no motivation to employees and produces a kind of 'f*ck my employer' attitude. I'll take sick days and have no feelings of guilt, I feel absoltuely no loyalty to my company - but if that's the way they want it then they can have it that way.

I got offered voluntary redundancy last year - 5 figure sum. I turned it down because I didn't know what else I would do and didn't want another job in the same sector. Wish I could get offered it now as I'm leaving in sept to study but unfortunately nothing on the horizon at the mo!

I know exactly what you mean. I work for a Swiss company that sold part of the business for around £17mil, then sold a load of business property in Geneva for CHF 88mil (profited CHF 15 mil). They felt that since they now have no debt & had a huge cash pile that they'd give a very generous payout to the shareholders - & I mean VERY generous (there were only 300K shares issued until they recently did a 4 for 1 - so it worked out at a lot of Swiss Francs per share).

However, when it came to pay review time it was the usual "business hasn't performed as well as we'd have liked, we're having to lay people off, be thankful you still have a job & here's your inflationary pay rise."

I did really well & got 4% - which is bugger all in real terms. In the UK we had to lose 2 of our 5 staff earlier in the year, the 3 of us left are working like crazy now we've had the staff levels savaged, & thats the thanks we get.

Wish I was one of the shareholders rather than the not valued workers.

PS Looked up the figures - 29,400,000 CHF redistributed to the shareholders!

Workers - Sod all !

Edited by Bubble Pop Electric

I thought it was one week for each year that is worked up to a maximum of 260... could be wrong...

5 redundancies here, were i am... and they are all walking with 50k +... not bad... at all

6 month bonus of salary for stayin til 31 dec 06.

These were not cost reducing exercises... but customer focused... :S :ph34r:

I thought it was one week for each year that is worked up to a maximum of 260... could be wrong...

That's like a £1 per working day, hang around your stinking work place for 1m working days and you will be rich! Ha, ha :huh:

If I remember correctly, it's one week's pay per year, but they only have to pay up to a certain limit (which may well be 260 per week). Every company I've worked for has always paid the full amount though... it's a real sign of desperation if they don't.

Totally agree. Are you working for the same company as me? :)

Every year since I started working for my employer there has been a redundancy scare, sometimes more than one. They always seem to happen a just after christmas and a few months before our appraisals. The strange thing is nobody is ever made redundant, the crisis is always averted at the last minute. This was then used as leverage to award pathetic or non existant pay rises, as after all, you should think yourself lucky to have a job in the first place. They also used the constant threat of redundancy to withdraw all funding for training/staff bonding activities/ vital equipment /software / pc's etc etc. The really annoying thing was while they were telling us it was a really hard year financially at the same time the quarterly profit margins were being released and the figures being quoted were astronomical.

This has left the staff utterly demotivated, with all the decent staff members jumping ship long ago, leaving behind a bunch of spineless losers who are totally willing to be anally shafted on a yearly basis.

I was lucky to get out of there with a decent payout this year, but I only managed it by the skin of my teeth as I slipped under the radar. I made sure my boss didn't know that I had applied for voluntary redundancy so I was able to accept before she could block it.

:D

Totally agree. Are you working for the same company as me? :)

Every year since I started working for my employer there has been a redundancy scare, sometimes more than one. They always seem to happen a just after christmas and a few months before our appraisals. The strange thing is nobody is ever made redundant, the crisis is always averted at the last minute. This was then used as leverage to award pathetic or non existant pay rises, as after all, you should think yourself lucky to have a job in the first place. They also used the constant threat of redundancy to withdraw all funding for training/staff bonding activities/ vital equipment /software / pc's etc etc. The really annoying thing was while they were telling us it was a really hard year financially at the same time the quarterly profit margins were being released and the figures being quoted were astronomical.

Ask for share options or buy your own stock.