House Price Crash Forum

I Want This House Now What Do You Think ?

HOLA441

I want to buy a house but not here in Greece. I can read,write and speak basic Greek. The house is £68000 we have a 30% deposit and the rest will be loan. Its located not far from Athens airport close to a beautiful town that is open not just in summer but through the winter. No english larger louts there and you can walk around at night without fear. We have greek friends in the area as weve been going for many years we know the builder.

What do you think ?

greek.jpg

post-4360-1147424293.jpg

Edited by bigben

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

I want to buy a house but not here in Greece. I can read,write and speak basic Greek. The house is £68000 we have a 30% deposit and the rest will be loan. Its located not far from Athens airport close to a beautiful town that is open not just in summer but through the winter. No english larger louts there and you can walk around at night without fear. We have greek friends in the area as weve been going for many years we know the builder.

What do you think ?

Maybe you should employ a local larger lout to take the next photo (it's taken from a very strange perspective) B)

What do I think? Buy it if it's what you want. Simple really.

JY

HOLA443
HOLA444

looks very close to a man made edge in the first photograph...i reckon there will probably be subsidence over time and if it rains heavily as it doesnt look heavily compacted..

but if you like it, buy it - always barter though..

do greek properties come with 10 years warrantee for new builds?

HOLA445

Is this better

yes.

More thoughts then:

what is the price per sq ft?

can you add any value to the property?

what is price of recent comparables?

would you be able to rent it out and if so what is its potential yield?

do you have euro income to cover euro mortgage?

JY

HOLA446

What do you think ?

To the pleasure and amusement of foreigners everywhere, Brits have bought wildly overpriced houses all over the world. A few years ago a box like this would sold for £10K. In a few years time it will probably be back to £10K.

HOLA447

looks very close to a man made edge in the first photograph...i reckon there will probably be subsidence over time and if it rains heavily as it doesnt look heavily compacted..

but if you like it, buy it - always barter though..

do greek properties come with 10 years warrantee for new builds?

Well there are other plots of land that are totally flat. I think the main thing for the new builds is that they are eathquake proof the banks mechanical enginer checks the property also.We would be having it built so the picture is of a similar house already completed.

To the pleasure and amusement of foreigners everywhere, Brits have bought wildly overpriced houses all over the world. A few years ago a box like this would sold for £10K. In a few years time it will probably be back to £10K.

The houses here have never been 10k Ive been going there for well over 7 years. Its also very popular with Athenians for holiday homes I wouldnt call 100 m2 a box. It is having a upgraded train link to Athens and a new marina. Actually the people who we know there said its a good price for a local property.

Edited by bigben

HOLA448

Well there are other plots of land that are totally flat. I think the main thing for the new builds is that they are eathquake proof the banks mechanical enginer checks the property also.We would be having it built so the picture is of a similar house already completed.

The houses here have never been 10k Ive been going there for well over 7 years. Its also very popular with Athenians for holiday homes I wouldnt call 100 m2 a box. It is having a upgraded train link to Athens and a new marina. Actually the people who we know there said its a good price for a local property.

I cannot condone this project. 100 m2 is a box and in fifteen years time most of these places will be like Slough in a hotter climate.

HOLA449

yes.

More thoughts then:

what is the price per sq ft?

can you add any value to the property?

what is price of recent comparables?

would you be able to rent it out and if so what is its potential yield?

do you have euro income to cover euro mortgage?

JY

Price is €100000 for 100m2 plot 225m2

or €135000 for 80m2 plot 450m2

If we had larger plot there is space to extend or even for another house same size as we have the choice as it

would be built to our spec.

I think this is cheap for the area as we have asked our greek friends.

Rental is possible holiday lets are propably going to achieve higher rreturns

Income is in £ and $ and sometimes €

I cannot condone this project. 100 m2 is a box and in fifteen years time most of these places will be like Slough in a hotter climate.

100m2 is huge to me a flat here in my street is 38 m2 is £355,000 actually greek planning law is very strict

much more so than Spain.The centre of the town has a preservation order which is very strict. All the houses my family lived in when I was a child were smaller than 100m2. Plus there you are able to walk around at night without fear which I doubt you can do in Slough.

HOLA4410
100m2 is huge to me a flat here in my street is 38 m2 is £355,000 actually greek planning law is very strict much more so than Spain.The centre of the town has a preservation order which is very strict. All the houses my family lived in when I was a child were smaller than 100m2. Plus there you are able to walk around at night without fear which I doubt you can do in Slough.

I am afraid you are seeing this through rose tinted spectacles. The property seems big to you in the same way that an exercise yard feels like freedom for a prisoner. You can do a lot of things with £68,000. Do you really want to gamble it on a small property in a foreign land. Remember the risks;

(a ) We are in the middle of a world wide propety bubble.

(b ) Foreign propety can fall victim to nasty tax and ownership regulations.

(c ) If the cheap airlines are made to pay a pollution tax, the price of holiday boxes like this will suffer badly.

Edited by dog

HOLA4411

I am afraid you are seeing this through rose tinted spectacles. The property seems big to you in the same way that an exercise yard feels like freedom for a prisoner. You can do a lot of things with £68,000. Do you really want to gamble it on a small property in a foreign land. Remember the risks;

(a ) We are in the middle of a world wide propety bubble.

(b ) Foreign propety can fall victim to nasty tax and ownership regulations.

(c ) If the cheap airlines are made to pay a pollution tax, the price of holiday boxes like this will suffer badly.

A All those things might happen but I dont agree that 100m2 or 1000sq feet is a box.

B What can I do with £68000 here ?

C Im gonna live in it its not gonna be a holiday home forever.

D I might get the train to Greece next time

I know all these properties are in a bubble worldwide but how long can i wait for quality of life?

Also you are forgetting that some of the recent price rises are due to Greece joining the euro and a one off massive reduction in rates

Edited by bigben

HOLA4412

A All those things might happen but I dont agree that 100m2 or 1000sq feet is a box.

B What can I do with £68000 here ?

C Im gonna live in it its not gonna be a holiday home forever.

D I might get the train to Greece next time

I know all these properties are in a bubble worldwide but how long can i wait for quality of life?

Also you are forgetting that some of the recent price rises are due to Greece joining the euro and a one off massive reduction in rates

I know where you are coming from on this but if you could use the capital to have £4,000 holidays for the next 17 years. Beware of buying fever!

HOLA4413

I know where you are coming from on this but if you could use the capital to have £4,000 holidays for the next 17 years. Beware of buying fever!

Thats what we do now really we go there 3 times a year and hotel bills for this add up so it feels like this would be better spent. I think because we have alot of friends there and I as I said I have some ability with the language the draw of a better quality of life makes me want to pack my bags.

Of course we could rent but this is about €350 just for a studio ( the mortgage is only €500 for a house

Its strange Ive never had buying fever in the UK !!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

No english larger louts there and you can walk around at night without fear.

What do you think ?

So why the fort knox bars on the windows, if its such an idyll, with none of those rotten scummy Englishmen about ?

It looks shit.

HOLA4416

So why the fort knox bars on the windows, if its such an idyll, with none of those rotten scummy Englishmen about ?

It looks shit.

Why must HPC posters be so bitchy when it looks like someone might actually be getting on with their lives

HOLA4417

It looks shit.

Nice comment perhaps you are used to living in a palace in the uk. Its better than most houses Ive looked at here and the view of the orange groves is lovely

I suppose the bars are because they are holiday homes left empty I didnt say they had no crime the Roma/Albainians sometimes nick stuff but it is far less than here you only have to look at european statistics.Also all greek homes have shutters metal or wood its traditional . Violent crime is extreamly low. When we return here its amazing how agressive people are here just on the street or in the supermarket. Society is just more relaxed there especially outside Athens.

The guys in the local taverna give us gifts everytime we go the owner of the bakery gives us free easter and xmas cake we go to family easter celebrations with spit roast lamb and offal lovely. How welcoming is the uk I have dogde the hoodies when I go out and I darnt glance up from the road in case I get " what are you looking at"

Why must HPC posters be so bitchy when it looks like someone might actually be getting on with their lives

Thanks for the support Im not saying its perfect or that its the right thing to do. Im just saying that I want a little house a bit of garden to grow veg and some quality of life. I dont think I can have that here in the UK now

Edited by bigben

HOLA4418

Thanks for the support Im not saying its perfect or that its the right thing to do. Im just saying that I want a little house a bit of garden to grow veg and some quality of life. I dont think I can have that here in the UK now

Go for it, you're never going to get that in the UK for 68k.

HOLA4419

No you have it all horribly wrong.

What you have to do as a HPC poster is bitch about the English all being chavs and scum or lager louts, England being the crappest place on Earth, everywhere else is brilliant. Threaten to emigrate if prices don't fall taking your degree with you.

Or have things changed around here ?

Anyway he asked for opinions and I gave it.. it still looks shit.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

No you have it all horribly wrong.

What you have to do as a HPC poster is bitch about the English all being chavs and scum or lager louts, England being the crappest place on Earth, everywhere else is brilliant. Threaten to emigrate if prices don't fall taking your degree with you.

Or have things changed around here ?

Anyway he asked for opinions and I gave it.. it still looks shit.

I didnt say all english people were chavs I said it was a violent society which it is how many town centers are safe here at night at least in greece people of all ages and sexes can go into town for a frappe in the evening and not be afraid. You try and explain "happy slapping" to a local greek. I didnt say it was worst palce on earth either I said that I personally cant have a decent quality of life here. Im not threatening anything I am doing as Ive been learning the language for 2 years and am going to take the embassy exam.

If you if think it looks shit the design can changed as its built to buyers spec.

HOLA4422

Actually that's not a totally unfair assessment of this forum but you'll have to add in bitiches on the following topics:

people more successful than the HPC poster

people who can afford a house

people already on the housing ladder

people who don't think Britian/the world is about to implode on itself

etc, etc.

HOLA4423

Much joy and contentment can come out of buying this house but only if you can ignore the value and how much you are paying.

well we are not paying that much are we

a flat in my street here in London is £355000 for 350 sq feet

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_bur

Assaults

7.45959 per 1000 UK 3rd of 58 countries

0.311399 per 1000 Greece 42nd of 58 countries

Burglaries

13.311399 per 1000 Uk

1.49035 per 1000 Greece

Total crimes per 1000 people UK 6th of 60 counties, Greece 45 of 60 wonder which might be a little safer

Edited by bigben

HOLA4424

Go for it if it's what you want!

Find out if there are any boundary disputes with neighbours as I recall a programme about a couple who bought a Greek property and inherited a boundry dispute with it which culminated in a local shepherd shooting out their windows.

HOLA4425

well we are not paying that much are we

a flat in my street here in London is £355000 for 350 sq feet

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_bur

Assaults

7.45959 per 1000 UK 3rd of 58 countries

0.311399 per 1000 Greece 42nd of 58 countries

Burglaries

13.311399 per 1000 Uk

1.49035 per 1000 Greece

Total crimes per 1000 people UK 6th of 60 counties, Greece 45 of 60 wonder which might be a little safer

For me £68,000 seems a very large chunk of money (although I would admit that alongside UK prices it does not look so shocking). Comparing house prices in different countries is not a good idea. For example France has draconian tax laws which make property ownership a bit of a minefield.

If you buy a property to enjoy it, you can be happy. If you buy it as an investment you have to accept that you are taking a risk and you will have to live with the worry.