House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nordiclad

Home.co.uk Asking Price Index

If no one has bet me to it...............Going south in England

home.co.uk

Nice. Seems that people are starting to get the idea that prices need to come down to get sales.

Interesting to see whether these modest price falls will be enough to re-ignite the market and get volumes of sales back up - I very much doubt it.

Nice. Seems that people are starting to get the idea that prices need to come down to get sales.

Interesting to see whether these modest price falls will be enough to re-ignite the market and get volumes of sales back up - I very much doubt it.

Whilst the English house prices only register small decreases the actual value is falling more quickly due to inflation. Will this put the majority of buy-to-leters off and reduce volumes further?

Scotland's house price trend reminds me of the charge of the Light-brigade!

It seems that volumes are up already, according to LR figures. More people buying but at more sensible prices. Soft landing?

Jock

Based on a daft premise, asking prices.

Scotland is based effectively on offers in excess of..... - they picked the excess of number as the asking price - garbage. They know they sell for more than that.

As for England, it's 46million people, you can't just sweep it with a brush like that. Plus they used asking prices, not selling prices, that does not in itself mean prices fell.

It's a slowing/stagnant/falling/rising market dependent on where you are and your house/flat/hole in the ground. You can ask more, but you may not get it. If, like most of us, you are thinking there's choppy water ahead, you batten down and ride it out. You don't sell anyway. So you can easily say a lot of the sales at lower prices are forced sales, they are still at very small volumes though.

I just don't understand this Home.co.uk stuff.

where do they get their figures?

I generally discount their results because I can't see where they get their figures from and the validity of these figures.

could someone please explain

They seem to be claiming that the average price of houses advertised by EAs on the web is a whopping 40% higher than people actually pay – we’ve asked a couple of times on other threads why this might be. Their methodology does not explain how they deal with the inevitable sampling bias when “scraping” stuff off the web, and crucially how this may have changed over time (for example, did they just scrape Primelocation.com at first? ;) ). So why they are so far removed form all other indices, including (obviously) Rightmove’s asking price index?

I just don't understand this Home.co.uk stuff.

where do they get their figures?

I generally discount their results because I can't see where they get their figures from and the validity of these figures.

could someone please explain

According to their site they get data from:

Propertyfinder.com

Fish4homes.co.uk

PropertyToday.co.uk

Rightmove.co.uk

FindaProperty.co.uk

Vebra.com

TeamProp.co.uk + 22 smaller sites

I also found this explaining how its calculated: http://www.calnea.com/asking-price-index/M...Methodology.pdf

The weighting (correction for bias) is done using 2001 census data.

Home.co.uk's Index uses current values and therefore takes into account discounting of prices over time on market (sample size 600,000). Rightmove's only uses initial asking prices (sample size 60,000).

As for average values...most indices are arbitrary anyway. For instance one wouldn't compare absolute values of the FTSE100, 250 and All Share...its the trends that matter.

Looks good to me! :D

look at reg data and rightmove, average selling price does appear to be 30% less than average advertised price. It suggests cheap stuff is selling, and explains why the houses always appear to go up, prices always seem more than the average price people bought for last month because they are!

According to their site they get data from:

Propertyfinder.com

Fish4homes.co.uk

PropertyToday.co.uk

Rightmove.co.uk

FindaProperty.co.uk

Vebra.com

TeamProp.co.uk + 22 smaller sites

So there will be massive replication of data being fed into stats then?