House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TwentyOneEleven

Tories Warn Of 'credit Card' Uk

Last Updated: Friday, 12 May 2006, 02:19 GMT 03:19 UK

(Taken from: BBC Website)

Tories warn of 'credit card' UK

Britain is becoming a "credit card" nation where personal debt is threatening millions of families and the economy, say the Tories.

Shadow chancellor George Osborne says the increased availability of credit had many advantages but it could cause financial misery.

He will tell the Credit Today conference in London that imaginative solutions to the problem are needed.

Three million people had problems paying off debt last year, he says.

In his speech, Mr Osborne will say: "As in many markets, liberalised credit markets have boosted our freedom and boosted our economy.

"But as well as these great advantages, the expansion of credit has brought challenges. First, for some, especially vulnerable families, too much debt can cause misery and great financial hardship.

"And second, high levels of debt, both public and private, make the economy more vulnerable to certain types of shock, and may put macro-economic stability at risk.

"For families, and for the wider economy, more debt means more vulnerability."

Mr Osborne will not offer any detailed solutions but he is expected to suggest broad themes for tackling the problem.

And so the assault on Gordon Clown's policies slowly begin....

watch this space...

Good point that.

The tories haven’t had much to say on the economy over recent years.

But make no mistake they’ve got the miracle economy sussed .

And have kept their powder dry…. Till the right time.

Interesting times.

Good point that.

Interesting times.

you mean keep quiet until they get into power and throw everyone out of work?

No, they waited til people would listen. While people are basking in the miracle economy, ie. MEWing and maxxing out on their cards, they wont listen and the Tories dont want to be the bearer of bad news while everything looks alright to the sheeple. Look at Vince Cable, he has quite correctly been going on about unsustainable debt for years, nobody listened, nobody wanted to - ' my house is worth X, I'm rich, I'm buying a. X5'. Now levels of debt are affecting enough people, the Tories are piling in. Watch this space indeed.

i cant trust ANYTHING the tories say. they will say anything right now.

they simply offer no contention. they are punching far below their weight.

no strong leader as yet. camerons awet, simpering, flip-flopping wally.

Yes the economy will go to the s**tter and everyone will blame the Tories as they will be in power at the time. It is Mr Brown and his "miracle economy" that is doing the damage though.

FACT: nulabor inherited the best set of books in history.

And will no doubt pass on the worst.

Yes the economy will go to the s**tter and everyone will blame the Tories as they will be in power at the time. It is Mr Brown and his "miracle economy" that is doing the damage though.

Hence why this is the perfect time for the tories to be pointing out the mess brown has made.

If they'd done it earlier nobody would have listened (keeping their powder dry as it were).

If they'd left it until nearer the next election they'd get the blame.

But if the tories are pointing this out now, and over the next two years, before they are in power and as the economy tanks then they are onto a winner.

Whatever you think of the tories their timing on starting to lay into the economy is well judged.

I agree on the timing issues... they have it spot on...

all the press at the moment is about bankruptcies etc, and redundancies...

they had to jump on the band wagon at some stage, all the fears of the last 2 years for me are now materialising!

what do I have to look forward to... the world cup, in mexico... and zero debt as of next year!

Higher interest rates, but reduced house prices! I think my timing isn't too bad either!

I'm true blue as most of you know. Was quite harsh on Cmaeron initially but am starting to warm to him.

The green stuff is all a bit woolly but when you look behind the sloganeering there are some sensible ideas forming, e.g. to combat "climate change" you are going to need better technology, not less production, as some greens are more or less suggesting.

From something I read in the Torygraph the other day it sounds as if they are carefully building up support in different secotrs of the community. "Liberal" types first, before moving onto the LMC and "workers" (i.e. tax cuts).

I spoke to my prospective Tory MP last year about this and he definitely agreed about the debt issue. Now is the time to open up a new front on Labour - debt ain't going anywhere...

The economy is perfect, the tories are trying to talk it down!

If we have a slow down it will be the fault of the tories! It's nothing to do with Brown pissing away billions or people hocing themselves, it will be the fault of tory spin!

Rar, rar, Thatcher, miners, milk, muppets. etc

Edited by BuyingBear

Erm UK has about 67 million credit cards and nearly 60 million people. France has about 60 million people and about 7 million credit cards.

Good point that.

Interesting times.

Got to agree - NEVER BEEN A TORY but I like this Cameron. During the last few weeks, he has not got involved in the NuLabour scandals. He has just sat back and let them shoot themselves in the foot.

He is luring me over to the DARK SIDE!!

TB

No, they waited til people would listen. While people are basking in the miracle economy, ie. MEWing and maxxing out on their cards, they wont listen and the Tories dont want to be the bearer of bad news while everything looks alright to the sheeple. Look at Vince Cable, he has quite correctly been going on about unsustainable debt for years, nobody listened, nobody wanted to - ' my house is worth X, I'm rich, I'm buying a. X5'. Now levels of debt are affecting enough people, the Tories are piling in. Watch this space indeed.

This is a very good point murpaul. Their timing is impeccable. The question is, now they've raised the issue, how will they turn it into votes?

1. Vote for us because we will make bankruptcy even easier than Labour has made it.

2. Vote for us because we will tighten lending controls, so although you as a debtor will be permanently screwed, the next person will not be allowed fall into that trap.

3. Vote for us because we will let loose even even more rampant inflation than Labour to erode your debt.

frugalista

1171-econ_nutshell_unemployment1.gif

As an example of hoe Gordon Clown has wrecked the economy, notice how unemployment was plumeting a long time before Clown took over the economy.

The Tories won't get in because they have any wonderful policies, they will get in because Labour have made such a ****** of it all. And the whole show loops ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

The interesting thing to me is that whoever is in opposition always talk such wonderful sense, the obvious solution is therefore to let whoever is in opposition have power.

Mr Osborne will not offer any detailed solutions but he is expected to suggest broad themes for tackling the problem.

Hmmm,

They don't want to provide soutions, because like all politicians, they will want to print

money and create a credit boom when they want to win reelection too.

There is a large tranche of society that suffered under Thatcher that will never

vote Tory, no matter how bad the alternatives. I am in that number :D

ABB

The relaxing of credit was one of the glorious "achievements" of the monetarist experiment started by the Tories. What's George Osborne going to do, become a true Keynesian? I can't quite belive that either. The Tories squandered a whole nation's future by flogging off state run enterprises, such as gas, electricity and water to pay for tax cuts, so i find it slightly difficult to believe the vague thoughts of Shallow George, surely the least impressive shadow chancellor ever.

Labour certainly hasn't challenged the nostrums of free market capitalism, as it should have done but I'll live in hope with the possibility of GB reigning in the crazy credit boom. (Not much hope, but its Friday and its sunny).

the tories are useless at people marketing. those guys should go speak to donald trump - hell that dude has his name on buildings!

Oh look the tories have a new leader!

Oh no wait a minute - just another eton.

Oh no wait a minute - just another eton.

And no doubt if David Davis had won you would have been blithering about "just another grey old man" :rolleyes:

The relaxing of credit was one of the glorious "achievements" of the monetarist experiment started by the Tories.

They did, although that is not actually what monetarism is........

The Conservatives will get in purely because everyone will get sick of Labour - in the same way that everyone got sick of the Conservatives last time. There is no need for them to add much to the debate at the moment on anything (you may recall that Labour didn't bother with policy announcements much before they got into power either) as Labour are boring everyone to death. The problem is that Labour will be around for another 4 years or so (self-destruction aside, which is not out o f the question under Gordon Brown) so we will see a slow and lingering death.

A labour revival under Gordon Brown? Hell no, what an odious man he really is. The country voted for Nu Labour and that is Tony Blair. GB is very old Labour and would be very unpopular.

As long as the Tories reinstate tax relief on pension dividends, and give us all back a few quid from the monthly pay packet, I will be happy.

Edited by nimmmm