House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

The First Case Of Serious Denial I`ve Come Across

Couple of houses up for auction tomorrow a relative is interested in (guide price 85+ probably go for 90 both needed 15-20 spending on them, with a top sale price of 130 for similar recently he could do worse) Anyhow, spoke to a neighbour who had a couple of Irish lads doing his path (it`s a Huyton thing :blink: ) asked him the history of the houses, talked re. amenities etc. I said that the most a house has sold for in the road is 120K but in the next road two had gone for 130K recently, so perhaps that`s a good guide as to the most you could get for a sale.. "Your joking lad, these are worth/cost about 165-170K now!" :o

Then it struck me that I`d hit a raw nerve, he`d told me he`d lived there for 4 years, paid 60K, he had "gutted it and replaced everything" at a cost I`d estimate of 40K so he has to believe its worth the figure in his head. It reminded me of that article a while back on the gallup survey where everyone thought property was over valued, "but not in my road" :lol:

There`s more to this anecdote, went in one of the 3 bed houses, (on closer inspection I reckon 13K would make it good), oldish couple also had keys and came to view for their Son who they were trying to encourage/help to buy as "property always goes up in value :o " The Son is 43!... :blink: Fukc me what a strange mad country we live in..