House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Nice House, Shame About Your Job.

Can't say people weren't warned.

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/analy...-shift-offshore

*Financial services firms are expected to relocate as much as 20 per cent of their total cost base offshore to cheap labour locations in the next four years, according to Deloitte. Some 10 to 20 per cent of financial services employment is also expected to be offshored by 2010.

*Offshoring in the financial services sector is set to double by 2008, says consultancy PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).

The great global levelling will be upon us soon...

Those people with houses but not in great jobs should have been using the period of low interest rates to pay down their mortgages quicker instead of MEWing which has happened instead :)

Try replacing IT people in front office jobs.

It's not that easy.

I'd be a hell of a lot more worried if I were a brickie in London wanting 130 a day, when a far better Polish builder will do a better job without the long tea and smoke breaks for 50 a day.

This economy needs a major shake up, the sooner the better.

Edited by BandWagon

Try replacing IT people in front office jobs.

It's not that easy.

I'd be a hell of a lot more worried if I were a brickie in London wanting 130 a day, when a far better Polish builder will do a better job without the long tea and smoke breaks for 50 a day.

This economy needs a major shake up, the sooner the better.

I know.. a friend is contracting for a large company in the middle of an outsource.

building domino servers.

VM servers onto a resiliant SAN.. sat on multiple clustered blades.

the experts from the new outsourced site dropped the speck of the DC's to and all other servers to raid zero.. seriously... to save money.....

Lol... cheaper..?

Yes..

If you are an idiot..

I know.. a friend is contracting for a large company in the middle of an outsource.

building domino servers.

VM servers onto a resiliant SAN.. sat on multiple clustered blades.

the experts from the new outsourced site dropped the speck of the DC's to and all other servers to raid zero.. seriously... to save money.....

Lol... cheaper..?

Yes..

If you are an idiot..

Maybe they were after performance? :unsure:

What happen to the performance / turn around time when the disk decides it want to die ?

He/She should be shot

What happen to the performance / turn around time when the disk decides it want to die ?

He/She should be shot

Obviously you have to weigh up cost, performance, backup, recovery, and potential data loss (ie how much if any would the company be willing to lose). Its not as clear cut as each environment is different.

Obviously you have to weigh up cost, performance, backup, recovery, and potential data loss (ie how much if any would the company be willing to lose). Its not as clear cut as each environment is different.

very true

they are more resilient solutions than RAID and with the clustered blade architecture when ever a blade burns out, just pull it out and replace it

This design is beautiful for changing the dimensions of the SAN as if they need more storage or a designated area for application data, then they can just plug more blades and increase the utilisation across all their network for a low cost. Also allows them to increase their performace quickly and cheaply, great if using remote technology to monitor and administer the network.

On the OS partition of a server, what do you want it to perform doing?

they are more resilient solutions than RAID and with the clustered blade architecture when ever a blade burns out, just pull it out and replace it

This design is beautiful for changing the dimensions of the SAN as if they need more storage or a designated area for application data, then they can just plug more blades and increase the utilisation across all their network for a low cost. Also allows them to increase their performace quickly and cheaply, great if using remote technology to monitor and administer the network.

the domino setup was blade into san resiliance.

This is a major company...

Trust me, blade and san asside you mirror your OS and you raid 5 the other drives.

SAN? above a certain size and support skill set yes. Otherwise its inherient complexity and support difficulties outweigh its resilience. if you can't cluster then SAN is just a gimmick.

all about single points of failure and having as few as possible.

nice sumation of Raid 0

RAID Level 0

RAID Level 0 or striping is optimized for performance at the expense of fault tolerance. Drives in a RAID 0 array organizes data in such a way that it is striped across the multiple drives. A RAID Level 0 array can contain any number of stripes. In RAID 0 if you have 2 x 60 gig drives the array size will be 120 gig. The reason RAID 0 is a performance-enhancing configuration is that striping enables the array to access data from multiple drives at the same time. In other words, since the data is spread out across a number of drives in the array, it can be accessed faster because it's not bottled up on a single drive. This is especially beneficial for retrieving very large files, since they can be spread out effectively across multiple drives and accessed as if it were the size of any of the fragments it is organized into on the data stripes. The downside to RAID Level 0 configurations is that it sacrifices fault tolerance, raising the risk of data loss because no room is made available to store redundant data. If one of the drives in the RAID 0 fails for any reason, there is no way of retrieving the lost data as can be done in other RAID implementations described below.

every one uses RAID 5 dont they?? Especially for commercial models.

nice sumation of Raid 0

every one uses RAID 5 dont they?? Especially for commercial models.

Not on the os, can never make AD work in an enabled cash area.. not sensibly..:) but data and application.. all raid 5..

Raid zero.. not commercial

On the OS partition of a server, what do you want it to perform doing?

the domino setup was blade into san resiliance.

This is a major company...

Trust me, blade and san asside you mirror your OS and you raid 5 the other drives.

SAN? above a certain size and support skill set yes. Otherwise its inherient complexity and support difficulties outweigh its resilience. if you can't cluster then SAN is just a gimmick.

all about single points of failure and having as few as possible.

I dont know the company their SLA nor setup but you said all servers were dropped to raid 0. Its a judgement call on the points I mentioned before.

unless the data is irrelevant..

They may be a financial house and just running tests for actuarys and never really caring about the data but the end results. Would require large data storage solutions during testing but cleansed after testing..

if so, they would have been better using a GRID system and let someone else buy all the storage components.

Dont really see why they would use RAID 0 if they intend to keep data. And if they dont intend to keep the data, then why they would build their own storage networks.

Can only suggest that either they dont want to keep data or the contractor is fired for making such suggestions!

Ran tests with a major company looking into GRID networks and utility based computing. Its the way forward. Look how under-utilised all the computer assets are yet they are still running full power drain.

Sorry guys but trying to read this thread was like trying to understand a foreign language...

Raid / blade / slade...

Its all greek to me (as someone far more cultured once said !)

TF

The Great Leveling has started already on the Jobs side,

and it will certainly spread to the Property Side

We need to restructure our economy. When will it start? How will it go?

I wonder if we're simply unwinding the great inflationary period of the 60s through to the 80s. No-one *really* got richer, but we kept trying to inflate our way out of trouble - no chance of that happening this time. Our only hope may be that the Chinese try the same trick, but I doubt it. And that assumes that peak oil is but a distant danger or the deluded imaginings of an irredeemable fantasist.

Two points to raise about this thread.

1) Will the great balancing be traditional 1st world lowering standards of living or the traditional 2nd / 3rd world raising their expectations to meet ours? I know what my experience of Eastern and Southern Europe shows. I think a slight lowering of our standards and a dramatic and well deserved increase in theirs.

2) How many posters on here had RAID knowledge - looks like a potential over supply to me. Time to move upwards again?