House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libitina

The Da Vinci Code

Whats your opinion?

I'm an atheist so think religion per se is wrong, however, I do like the idea that this book may get some people to question the story of christ.

I do think the book itself was badly written (and his others are even worse) and contain many mistakes. This site points many of them out. The different sections are at the bottom of the page.

I haven't actually read it yet, but am third in line for a second hand copy. I should therefore be able to comment in a couple of months!

With regard to the whole religion thing. I believe it was simply a forerunner to laws and nation states. Something had to be devised to make sure the harvests were gathered etc.

I think the whole virgin birth malarky is plain nonsense. I reckon Mary was putting it about a bit and came up with this son of God nonsense to placate Joseph. The story grew arms and legs and before you know it you have a huge cult.

I realise that some may be offended by what I have said above, but that is not my intention. You have your beliefs and I have mine.

NDL

Guest muttley

I haven't read the book, but I did read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" about 18 years ago. This is the book that tried to sue over plagiarism recently. It made a lot of fuss about the ressurection being staged, but I don't remember much else.

It seems strange that with todays technology in telecommunications we tend not to believe a word that comes out of the Middle East, yet we treat stories handed down over 2000 years as, well, Gospel.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

I haven't actually read it yet, but am third in line for a second hand copy. I should therefore be able to comment in a couple of months!

With regard to the whole religion thing. I believe it was simply a forerunner to laws and nation states. Something had to be devised to make sure the harvests were gathered etc.

I think the whole virgin birth malarky is plain nonsense. I reckon Mary was putting it about a bit and came up with this son of God nonsense to placate Joseph. The story grew arms and legs and before you know it you have a huge cult.

I realise that some may be offended by what I have said above, but that is not my intention. You have your beliefs and I have mine.

NDL

Well, they did apparently find a missing page to the bible a few years ago. It read something like...

The characters and events depicted in this story are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :o

Digital Fortress is awesome.

And yes being badly written is a criticism of Dan Brown but not for me. It's kinda punchy and conspiracy based. Which is life these days. Money fixing, free energy, oil politics and media spin on the lot. Go for it Dan.

I haven't read 'Da Vinci Code' but no doubt will on my next hol.

And George Bush et al and 911 fills us with facts from the past which show we lead a life of lies. Will the populus do anything about it - Nahh.

Too busy working paying of the debt.

:lol::lol::lol:

A friend of mine bought me a combination lock, with the De Vinci Code Book. The combination is obtained from the book, but me never ever been able to follow a plot to save my life, don’t stand a chance of working it out. The only sensible clue they give you is it’s a woman’s name. Don’t anyone say Gladys I’ve tried that one.

A friend of mine bought me a combination lock, with the De Vinci Code Book. The combination is obtained from the book, but me never ever been able to follow a plot to save my life, don’t stand a chance of working it out. The only sensible clue they give you is it’s a woman’s name. Don’t anyone say Gladys I’ve tried that one.

Rose?

I liked the story(tho I read the book a few years ago).

I don't think it matters one bit weather or not Jesus had a child. Tho my friend got very upset at the idea Jesus might have had sex. :blink::huh::unsure:

I've read it and it was too much like Mission Impossible to me - extremely far fetched.

The first half of the book was ok but it just got bloody silly after that with the character's incredible ability to solve codes within a few minutes whilst suffering sleep deprivation and creeping off planes unnoticed.

I was raised a Catholic but I rather like the idea of Jesus not being divine and I do think the Catholic churches knee jerk reaction to the film being released is a bit o.t.t.

The Da Vinci Code quest on Google over the last fortnight was good fun though and I have alarmingly found Tom Hanks attactive in the trailers :unsure:

Visited Roslyn Chapel the other day. Surprised at how small it is. Anyway they are totally cashing in on the book as it was 8 squid to enter and hear a 2 minute spiel from the orator. :rolleyes: