House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Ats Euromaster

Just got my car back from its MOT testing at ATS Euromaster and I am furious. They have either damaged or intentionally swapped my gear stick with an old one as it is now pitted with holes and circles. I will now have to go through my car to see if anything else has been damed and/or nicked. And how can I also trust the work that they have carried out? ie Did it actually really need new brakes? FFS I am furious, what happened to decency and honesty? An honest days work?

It was the first and last time I will ever use them. :angry:

I can't think of an explanation for that one Shaker.

What was so special with your origin gear stick.

I think what you have there now is some sort lounge lizard's tally stick, and it's a recording of all his romantic sucesses.

And your's didn't have a mark on it. Makes you think, doesn't it.

I can't think of an explanation for that one Shaker.

What was so special with your origin gear stick.

I think what you have there now is some sort lounge lizard's tally stick, and it's a recording of all his romantic sucesses.

And your's didn't have a mark on it. Makes you think, doesn't it.

There was nothing special with my gear stick. They either damaged it or swapped it. All I know is that something happened to it and they are denying it. F***in lying bunch of t*ssers.

If I have to use these places I always make sure I'm watching them at all times (I usually go into the car bay area)

The last time I was desperate (nail in tyre) I went to KwikFit - what could they possibly do FFS?

They managed to rip the top half off one of my wheel locking nuts whilst taking it off (unable to get it back on) and mark my paintwork whilst using a car jack (I also had to show they where to jack it up)

They didn't charge me for the tyre repair and I'm left to foot the £7 difference of buying a new set of locking wheel nuts

I put my car in for service for the first time after years of doing it myself.

When it was done I drove it off and it was misfiring badly. I took it straight back and they told me it was a faulty cam follower and I should bring it in the next day and they would fix it at a price.

As I knew about my own car, I had a look at it when I got home.

They had put a duff spark plug in it to make it misfire. Of course, if I had taken it back they would have changed back the spark plug and charged me for the work involved in repairing the alleged cam follower.

we took a metro to have the CPU re-programmed it cost £300

I said why it cost so much????

This is an independent garage

I though ok - lets have a look at similar repairs. The manager agreed to let me look at other invoices

Having a flick through, another metro had a list of repairs some including broken wishbone etc. The total bill came to £800 !!! Was probably better to take it to the scrap yard.

Fooking ell cars cost too much - whether or not it is justifed who knows.....

how to we protect ourselves from unscrupluous mechanics?

how to we protect ourselves from unscrupluous mechanics?

I dont know but I took my car to ATS Euromaster as I thought it was a chain with a reputable name who wouldnt try to over charge or screw me over in any way. How f***in wrong was I. If they did that to the gear stick and lie then how can I trust anything else they say. Bunch of lying f***in t*ssers.

They generally all "at it". Even less trustworthy than EAs.

These are the very reasons I will be furious if the Government get round to criminalising working on your own car (and I don't even have a car!).

The best way to protect yourself from this carry on is to invest a very small sum of money in a Haynes manual for your car and attempt to do the jobs yourself. Even if you don't want to do the job, read up on it and you will stand a chance against these thieving b*******.

And don't think "It's car mechanics, how can I possibly learn about that?" look at the oiks that work in these places, do they look the sharpest tools? Exactly!

NDL

These are the very reasons I will be furious if the Government get round to criminalising working on your own car (and I don't even have a car!).

The best way to protect yourself from this carry on is to invest a very small sum of money in a Haynes manual for your car and attempt to do the jobs yourself. Even if you don't want to do the job, read up on it and you will stand a chance against these thieving b*******.

And don't think "It's car mechanics, how can I possibly learn about that?" look at the oiks that work in these places, do they look the sharpest tools? Exactly!

NDL

I understand and appreciate what you are saying but this was an MOT test which obviously I couldnt perform myself.

I've found a RapidFit locally that does my MOT - you have to find a decent garage/people and keep using them - I wouldn't go by the 'brandname' - it means nothing nowadays

Guest Guy_Montag

I've use the garage in my folk's village.

Between us my family have 3 cars that all need serviced & MOTed, if he does a shoddy job then he loses all our business + everyone we bad mouth him too. Worth a 200 mile round trip for peace of mind.

He does a fantastic job, & is extremely reasonably priced.

Guest Winners and Losers

They have either damaged or intentionally swapped my gear stick with an old one as it is now pitted with holes and circles.

I hope it wasn't my fault. :unsure::(

I understand and appreciate what you are saying but this was an MOT test which obviously I couldnt perform myself.

No probs shaker, I was really responding to the guy who asked how to protect himself.

As I said I don't run a car, but my dad and brother both go to a small one man outfit. These guys are often very good 'cause they know they'll get return business. They are also usually pretty lenient and will let you take the car away and fix any problems yourself (within reason of course).

I dunno, maybe ask around some mates for a small local outfit they use. I really sympathise as there is very little you can do against these big chains when things go wrong.

NDL

The only good thing about this is that since it's a large company there is at least some scope for taking it higher and/or embarassing the company with some sort of press involvement (if you feel that strongly about it). Fat chance of that with a small independent.

The feeling going down in the car forums I frequent seems to suggest that the authorities are clamping down on MoT stations under the guise of making everyone safer but in reality raising more taxes through stealth by fining MoT stations for passing cars that 'shouldn't have'. Also, as is typical with this country, the MoT rules are ambiguous at best in places (I believe) so this is making many MoT testers fail more cars than they would otherwise have done in the past, in order to avoid fines.

Of course, MoTs are involuntary but at least you have certain rights of observation of the work and certain rights of comeback (I have no idea how easy this is to pursue but you have rights of appeal in theory at least). I think the wise thing to do is to query repairs there and then because you can't prove much after the work is done.

As for doing your own repairs, it helps a lot, even with MoTs, because you can query their male cow excrement with more confidence, and it definately shows.

Even stuff like washing your car beforehand, topping up fluids and inflating tyres to correct pressures gives the impression that you know what you're about. You could also mention stuff like "I replaced the brakes (or whatever) a couple of weeks ago...blah blah blah" in conversation (if you did, of course).

I use the same MoT station every year, even though it's 15 miles away because the guy has never ripped me off, doesn't fail on trivia like the famous misaligned headlights that you can't disprove in daylight and likes my car, a lot.

Take note of mileage and rough petrol level before dropping it off too and you can tell if they're using your car as free transport for a few days.

As for your gearstick, stake out the place and check if one of the wee b*stards has the same car as you and might want to steal it for his which he accidentally damaged with his tools or whatever someday. It's not the first time that tyres have been swapped on people's cars for crappy ones on staff cars. Lots of people would fail to notice this.

EDIT: changed censored word to "male cow excrement"

The only good thing about this is that since it's a large company there is at least some scope for taking it higher and/or embarassing the company with some sort of press involvement (if you feel that strongly about it). Fat chance of that with a small independent.

The feeling going down in the car forums I frequent seems to suggest that the authorities are clamping down on MoT stations under the guise of making everyone safer but in reality raising more taxes through stealth by fining MoT stations for passing cars that 'shouldn't have'. Also, as is typical with this country, the MoT rules are ambiguous at best in places (I believe) so this is making many MoT testers fail more cars than they would otherwise have done in the past, in order to avoid fines.

Of course, MoTs are involuntary but at least you have certain rights of observation of the work and certain rights of comeback (I have no idea how easy this is to pursue but you have rights of appeal in theory at least). I think the wise thing to do is to query repairs there and then because you can't prove much after the work is done.

As for doing your own repairs, it helps a lot, even with MoTs, because you can query their male cow excrement with more confidence, and it definately shows.

Even stuff like washing your car beforehand, topping up fluids and inflating tyres to correct pressures gives the impression that you know what you're about. You could also mention stuff like "I replaced the brakes (or whatever) a couple of weeks ago...blah blah blah" in conversation (if you did, of course).

I use the same MoT station every year, even though it's 15 miles away because the guy has never ripped me off, doesn't fail on trivia like the famous misaligned headlights that you can't disprove in daylight and likes my car, a lot.

Take note of mileage and rough petrol level before dropping it off too and you can tell if they're using your car as free transport for a few days.

As for your gearstick, stake out the place and check if one of the wee b*stards has the same car as you and might want to steal it for his which he accidentally damaged with his tools or whatever someday. It's not the first time that tyres have been swapped on people's cars for crappy ones on staff cars. Lots of people would fail to notice this.

Thanks for that. One of the things they failed it on was the misaligned headlights which is making me wonder.

Guest Guy_Montag

Thanks for that. One of the things they failed it on was the misaligned headlights which is making me wonder.

Really? After a ****-up when I first got my car, one of my head lights now points down six feet in front of the car. I keep mentioning it to the mechanic, but it's not failed on that yet.

On edit: fire off an angry letter to the head office.

Really? After a ****-up when I first got my car, one of my head lights now points down six feet in front of the car. I keep mentioning it to the mechanic, but it's not failed on that yet.

On edit: fire off an angry letter to the head office.

Yup. What is actually written down is this :

Offside front headlamp aim too low when the centre of the headlamp is below 850mm from the ground [1.6.B2]

Which means f*** all to me. Anyone?

I dont mind paying good money for quality real work done on my motor but knowing that they have damaged or swapped my gear stick AND lied to me about it makes me furious and put into question any work that they have done and whether or not other parts have been swapped. What were the f***in bandits thinking, like I wouldnt notice my own gearstick or just simply not complain? I should know its my motor FFS. :angry:

I have to comment on this as I was once one of these 'oiks'. When I left school I did an apprenticeship in a garage, got qualified and did several years in dealerships. One of my duties was MOT quality controller, responsible for all the paperwork, the other MOT testers and ministry dealings.

That is not entirely true, although finding a decent garage is becoming increasingly difficult.

we took a metro to have the CPU re-programmed it cost £300

They probably didn't reprogramme it. It may have been full of fault codes created by am external fault.

This type of garage equipment is a rip-off and must pay for its self, it's understandable. You should have set fire to it, no really!

As for doing your own repairs, it helps a lot, even with MoTs, because you can query their male cow excrement with more confidence, and it definitely shows.

The MOT test sets a standard for the maximum deterioration allowed for the tested components.

If a car is regularly serviced NO component should be allowed to deteriorate to a condition that justifies an MOT failure.

The MOT criteria is not ambiguous, the standards between testers is! You are just as likely to get in trouble with the ministry for being over zealous. When the guy from the ministry comes round every year to watch you perform a test he's not really interested in what you do or don't fail, it's all about what you check, the way you check and in what order. Personally I was never pulled up for not failing something, always for being over cautious.

The problem is with the testers. They will not bother to look in the guidance book unless the ministry guy is pushing their fat head into it. I was constantly arguing with colleagues over what you can and can't fail, nearly always the latter.

These days I MOT the car at a friends garage. Now, I know that there is nothing it will fail on, but his guys still fail it! They even know me from the trade, know I was a tester, but still fail it on things that ARE NOT IN THE ******ING BOOK!!!!!!!!

My mate does the test for free so I don't say anything, just do it and take it back.

One year they failed it on the lower ball joints, I took them off and replaced them. I kept them for spares, fitted them to my mother-in-laws car (same model) and took it in for MOT a few months later. Guess what?

They passed it!

If you want to get them, ask for a VT17. This form will make them shit their pants. It's an appeal form, the ministry get involved. They will have been over zealous, the ministry will be in your favour and they will get a major bollocking. That is all it takes trust me!

I have to comment on this as I was once one of these 'oiks'. When I left school I did an apprenticeship in a garage, got qualified and did several years in dealerships. One of my duties was MOT quality controller, responsible for all the paperwork, the other MOT testers and ministry dealings.

That is not entirely true, although finding a decent garage is becoming increasingly difficult.

They probably didn't reprogramme it. It may have been full of fault codes created by am external fault.

This type of garage equipment is a rip-off and must pay for its self, it's understandable. You should have set fire to it, no really!

The MOT test sets a standard for the maximum deterioration allowed for the tested components.

If a car is regularly serviced NO component should be allowed to deteriorate to a condition that justifies an MOT failure.

The MOT criteria is not ambiguous, the standards between testers is! You are just as likely to get in trouble with the ministry for being over zealous. When the guy from the ministry comes round every year to watch you perform a test he's not really interested in what you do or don't fail, it's all about what you check, the way you check and in what order. Personally I was never pulled up for not failing something, always for being over cautious.

The problem is with the testers. They will not bother to look in the guidance book unless the ministry guy is pushing their fat head into it. I was constantly arguing with colleagues over what you can and can't fail, nearly always the latter.

These days I MOT the car at a friends garage. Now, I know that there is nothing it will fail on, but his guys still fail it! They even know me from the trade, know I was a tester, but still fail it on things that ARE NOT IN THE ******ING BOOK!!!!!!!!

My mate does the test for free so I don't say anything, just do it and take it back.

One year they failed it on the lower ball joints, I took them off and replaced them. I kept them for spares, fitted them to my mother-in-laws car (same model) and took it in for MOT a few months later. Guess what?

They passed it!

If you want to get them, ask for a VT17. This form will make them shit their pants. It's an appeal form, the ministry get involved. They will have been over zealous, the ministry will be in your favour and they will get a major bollocking. That is all it takes trust me!

Apologies if I offended Dom. That's a very insightful post.

The VT17 sounds interesting!

NDL

Yup. What is actually written down is this :

Which means f*** all to me. Anyone?

I used to adjust headlamps while I was doing that part of the test (not supposed to really).

IF the adjusters are not seized solid or the reflector loose on it's mounting, then it's a two minute job, tops!

They are rarely that far out of alignment.

They passed it!

Thanks for that info Dom. Does this VT17 form cover things like getting your car back after an MOT with new damage to it? i.e. Before the gear stick was fine and now its not? At the moment its frustrating because its basically my word against theirs but I know for a fact I am right as it never had that damage before. F***in t*ssers. :angry:

Apologies if I offended Dom. That's a very insightful post.

The VT17 sounds interesting!

NDL

Not at all, you're absolutely right!

Thanks for that info Dom. Does this VT17 form cover things like getting your car back after an MOT with new damage to it? i.e. Before the gear stick was fine and now its not? At the moment its frustrating because its basically my word against theirs but I know for a fact I am right as it never had that damage before. F***in t*ssers. :angry:

Have you paid?

What car is it?

Take it to the top and send a report to their quality director...

Mr WOW Customer Testimonials:

http://www.mrwow.co.uk/testimonials.asp

"Derek,

I owe you an apology.

When we first discussed the idea of using outside consultants to help with the Best Practice project, I argued against the idea. I was convinced that we had the people and the skills to be able to do this ourselves.

I was wrong!

You have brought a level of professionalism, knowledge and energy to this project that we could never have achieved ourselves.

Without you and your Team, the project would never have been the success that it has been.

Thank you."

Roy Hinde, Quality Director - ATS Euromaster

Not at all, you're absolutely right!

Have you paid?

What car is it?

Yes I paid before I got my car back as it was still at the back of the garage. After I had paid someone drove it out. Its only a Ford nothing special but its the principle of it all. How can I trust them and their work after blatantly theiving and lying to me? F***in t*ssers so they are. :angry: