House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Miracle Economy Will Raise More Revenue From Motorists

http://www.express.co.uk/index.html

Daily Express

Saw this in the newsagents-can't find full text link. See top right of above link for headline.

I read the front page and it seems that the government have already given the green light for a satellite system to monitor our driving and bill us accordingly. It will also monitor speeding and our movements.

Perhaps we should start suggesting to the loyal opposition that civil rights might be a good platform upon which to approach the electorate. Also a written constitution similar to the US where our rights are guaranteed against government monitoring. This government is Orwellian in the extreme.

Or perhaps TB and GB are happy with the direction things are going with Putin power on the ascendancy as the US retreats behind its own borders. At least we are getting used to Soviet style "freedoms."

http://www.express.co.uk/index.html

Daily Express

Saw this in the newsagents-can't find full text link. See top right of above link for headline.

I read the front page and it seems that the government have already given the green light for a satellite system to monitor our driving and bill us accordingly. It will also monitor speeding and our movements.

Perhaps we should start suggesting to the loyal opposition that civil rights might be a good platform upon which to approach the electorate. Also a written constitution similar to the US where our rights are guaranteed against government monitoring. This government is Orwellian in the extreme.

Or perhaps TB and GB are happy with the direction things are going with Putin power on the ascendancy as the US retreats behind its own borders. At least we are getting used to Soviet style "freedoms."

I don't think this will ever happen.

Would you sit down and take it? I know I wouldn't.

I am currently using the M5 for a few miles on the way to Exeter during rush hour - there is no congestion. However under their scheme everybody using their cars in 'rush hour' peak times would pay more - even though there is no congestion. It would be terrible.

I currently already choose not to have a congested drive to work and to use roads when they are quieter. If people are willing to put up with the congestion then that is their prerogative.

Just another reason why you'd have to pay me to stay in Britain. The idea of paying most of my lifetime income to buy a house in a police state seems utterly bizarre.

No idea why this is so difficult for most people.

Because speed limits are set artificially low in order to please nimbies and raise revenue. The 70mph speed limit on motorways was set in the Morris Minor era: are you seriously claiming that modern cars can't safely drive much faster than that?

It's hardly a surprise that when the nimbies demand lowered speed limits and speed cameras outside their houses, they're usually among the first caught for speeding.

Just another reason why you'd have to pay me to stay in Britain. The idea of paying most of my lifetime income to buy a house in a police state seems utterly bizarre.

yes, I do remember a survey asking people emigrating from the Uk what their main reasons were and in the top 3 was speed cameras, might even have been No.1, I can't remember

therefore, can you imagine how unpopular constant monitoring of your speed would be?

for this reason I don't think it will ever happen

I'd do a go-slow protest of 20mph on the M25 until they backed down!!!

Conservative Party policy is to support road charging.

It is not orwellian to attempt to curb the motor car, which brings in its smelly wake pollution, global warming, dependency on evil mullahs, and 3000 direct and many more indirect deaths a year in the UK.

Conservative Party policy is to support road charging.

It is not orwellian to attempt to curb the motor car, which brings in its smelly wake pollution, global warming, dependency on evil mullahs, and 3000 direct and many more indirect deaths a year in the UK.

The government did a report, and discovered that qty of speed cameras directly related to an increase in accidents...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/602.asp

Its about the same time they stopped rolling out speed cameras en mass....

about the same time speed cameras were introduced, the number of road deaths started to level off....

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/effects.html

Edited by moosetea

Because speed limits are set artificially low in order to please nimbies and raise revenue. The 70mph speed limit on motorways was set in the Morris Minor era: are you seriously claiming that modern cars can't safely drive much faster than that?

Of course modern cars are very capable of being driven much faster than the standard speed limit when compared to those of 20+ years ago. It's the muppets that are driving them that scare me, no matter how safe the car there is still a limit to the extremes that the body will survive an accident.

This was demonstrated by the neck brace and months of discomfort I got from some t**Er running into the back of me at some traffic lights one day (at probably less that 20mph) it is the human body that is the most vunerable not the vehicles.

Having said that I dont want my car to be tracked the human rights lot are sure to get upset at that suggestion - they already are against the id card.

No speeding = no law breaking = no tickets = no revenue.

No idea why this is so difficult for most people.

do you really believe that ?

Speed limits are fine if appropriate, many of them are not - for instance 30 outside a school at 8.30am on a dual carriageway is probably dangerous, but at 10pm - 70 could be safe, instead they put up a 30 limit and catch you doing 60 which is probably safe for the conditions and ban you.

So many limits are cut and cameras hidden on the edge of 30 zones where people are accelerating out of villages - just inside the artificially positioned limit.

A quicker way to bring the system down is to insist on going to court, clogged up in a week and they would need to change it instantly.

The motor car, imo, one of Homo Sapiens' best applications of it's collective inventive mind.

I don't care what arguments anyone wants to offer in opposition

Edited by Mushroom

Cannot see road charging working.

It will need an infrastructure and IT project beyond the capability of goverment to organise.

Will be the b@stard child of the channel tunnel rail link and the CSA.

Well, I've seen the future of the Police State road system in action in my parents' village. Over the last few months the place has been plastered with those speed-sensitive signs, traffic camera signs, warnings and what-have-you. Surrounding roads have had the speed limits reduced and a section of dual carriageway has had the outside lane removed completely, presumably to cause congestion where there was none before improve safety. The local population all now crawl along at 25mph and don't dare to go any faster. There's been a spate of old biddies being done by the Police for doing 33 and 32mph in 30mph zones. Meanwhile the chav tearaways continue to ruin the place. Driving around the place, it feels like the law-abiding population has been horsewhipped.

Well, I've seen the future of the Police State road system in action in my parents' village. Over the last few months the place has been plastered with those speed-sensitive signs, traffic camera signs, warnings and what-have-you. Surrounding roads have had the speed limits reduced and a section of dual carriageway has had the outside lane removed completely, presumably to cause congestion where there was none before improve safety. The local population all now crawl along at 25mph and don't dare to go any faster. There's been a spate of old biddies being done by the Police for doing 33 and 32mph in 30mph zones. Meanwhile the chav tearaways continue to ruin the place. Driving around the place, it feels like the law-abiding population has been horsewhipped.

I've no sympathy. Who do you think asked for all that street furniture to be put up in the first place?

I was talking to someone from the police the other day and it's always the same.

Residents in a quiet village want something done to stop their neighborhood being "turned into a racetrack", then they turn up and 90% of the people they end up nicking are from the local community. One one occasion he even caught the local councellor who had harangued him at a public meeting over the lack of action over speeding.

when the european GPS system is up and running and all cars come with TomTom slapped into the dash board it will be very simple to keep an eye on ya , cool ey ;)

Yes, we will have the spy in the sky to monitor our movements when we are in our jam jars and ID cards to track us as we walk around and do a bit of shopping. Next it will be implants on our bodies so that they can track us wherever we go and watch whatever we buy and sell. IT might even detertmine how we vote and most certainly what we watch on TV--but then that will be regulated as well.

Anyone read 1984 by George Orwell? Its fast becoming a reality.

I took part in the Leeds University/TRRL project that used GPS to pin point where my car was and actually stop me from speeding. Still in its early stages it will eventually be able to monitor vehicle movement very precisely indeed and could even be dialled into by the Police to slow/stop vehicles. At the moment it is laptop sized but in five years time??, fitted to every new car it might be the size of a hard drive.

The only thing that will stop it happening is as Ganemede points out is this (or any) government's complete lack of ability in arranging an IT contract that a) works and B) costs less than 10 times more than the original quote. :lol:

The government did a report, and discovered that qty of speed cameras directly related to an increase in accidents...

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/602.asp

Its about the same time they stopped rolling out speed cameras en mass....

about the same time speed cameras were introduced, the number of road deaths started to level off....

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/effects.html

Ihope no child of yours is knocked down by a speeding motorist and lowered into the ground in a small wooden box. I really do.

The vast majority of serious research on this subject is abundantly clear.

Many people (including small children) are alive today because of speed cameras: face it, or wrestle with your conscience.

If we are to criticise this government over the issue it should be over the way they cravenly back down in the face of populists like you.

1.50 a mile!!!

there outta there tiny communist minds if they think people are gonna pay that

Best send round a compilance patrol.

You will obey, you will obey, you will obey!

I've no sympathy. Who do you think asked for all that street furniture to be put up in the first place?

I was talking to someone from the police the other day and it's always the same.

Residents in a quiet village want something done to stop their neighborhood being "turned into a racetrack", then they turn up and 90% of the people they end up nicking are from the local community. One one occasion he even caught the local councellor who had harangued him at a public meeting over the lack of action over speeding.

true. the speedsters are always those most familiar (and therefore over confident) on the roads. i.e. the locals.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I heard The Tsar of London intends to put his Congestion Charge up to £10 per day.

Matters of opinion. Whats not a matter of opinion is the requirements of the law.

Whatever spurious arguments are trotted out, there is no getting away from the fact that compliance with the law is not, nor never has been, optional.

Its amazing how many people claim that they speed because they somehow know better, or are better drivers than the norm. Perhalps I can get away with beating the monkey face of vernon kaye, just because hes a ****. :lol:

The "stealth tax" claim is another beauty. What a load of cobblers. There is a simple way of avoiding paying.

It is an open and honest tax. Speed and your caught, then your fined.

Whats that? Theres more cameras now than ever before. So what? If I strangle the lanky monkey faced unfunny northern git with his own intestines, will it be okay as long as its away from any other witnesses.

In short, argue the validity of the speed limits by all mean. Don't try to rationalise the fact that you break the law if you feel you can get away with it.

These new cameras will stop people pissing about and - ahem - interpreting the law in their own way.

Until the laws are changed (were a democracy don't you know) I have no time for the whining.