House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Gordo: Public Workers Wages Should Be Capped--next Year

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php...y_template.html

Brown: Public pay deals should be capped

11/05/2006 11:03

LONDON (Reuters) - Public sector pay deals should be capped next year at the 2.0 percent inflation target used by the Bank of England in setting interest rates, Chancellor Gordon Brown said on Thursday.
"We are today writing to all departments that all public sector pay settlements must also be set to meet the 2 percent inflation target," Brown told parliament.
The Chancellor also hailed official March manufacturing output figures reported earlier on Thursday that showed the biggest monthly rise in nearly a year.
"British growth is strong,
house prices are soaring again,
strengthening and will strengthen even more in the months to come," Brown said.

Assuming, of course, that the Miracle Economy engine of HPI-MEW keeps running on low interest rate fuel? :lol:

Italics: My insert to illustrate what he is really saying.

Guest Guy_Montag

Good plan - cap wage increases at 2%, just as everything unwinds & the true level of inflation becomes clear.

Damn & I was expecting a hefty pay rise.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php...y_template.html

Brown: Public pay deals should be capped

11/05/2006 11:03

LONDON (Reuters) - Public sector pay deals should be capped next year at the 2.0 percent inflation target used by the Bank of England in setting interest rates, Chancellor Gordon Brown said on Thursday.
But if this happens, how will I manage to be a good little Keyworker and afford to buy 10% of an 'affordable' Housing Association property like I am supposed to in order to keep the market propped up??? So much for joined up thinking.

As everyone knows, public wage increases cause inflation (sort of). Gordy must be getting worried about inflation if this is the dictat - I wonder what he knows that he is not telling us???

Public sector pay deals should be capped next year at the 2.0 percent inflation target used by the Bank of England in setting interest rates, Chancellor Gordon Brown said on Thursday.

"We are today writing to all departments that all public sector pay settlements must also be set to meet the 2 percent inflation target," Brown told parliament.

I think some public sector workers (nurses) are not paid enough

I think that many (GPs, NHS management etc) are paid far too much.

However, my pay rises in the private sector are currently below 2% inflation so this move is not unreasonable. Perhaps a shift in the distribution of public sector pay however would be a good thing.

Careful wording, is pay the headline rate of pay, is it the whole benefits, perhaps if you change the deal to offer sweeter terms, less hours, more overtime then you get a better deal.

And can you see the people who negotiate public sector pay deals doing a good job for a change and not capitulating ? I can't.

I dont actually read this to mean they will be capped at 2% it says 'set to meet'.

Also as most pay deals in the public sector are set for more than a year, it will only affect pay reviews coming up this year.

Brace yourselves for rounds of strikes from all corners. The public sector won't take this from a Labour government. They'll scream and cry and wail and stamp their little feet unless they get their continuous supply of food crammed in their open beaks.