House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfectionist

Cheap Cigarettes Over The Internet ?

With all this HPI it's getting impossible to afford to smoke anymore !! :D

Have heard that good old Customs actually charge the normal Tax on cigarettes posted to the UK from abroad or even confiscate the package ...... but has anybody had any recent success ??

Saw this on the expats website :

http://www.expats.org.uk/shopping/tobacco.html

Seems expats wouldn't put up these sites unless they were reliable .... or am I being optimistic ??

You could try giving it up. I did six weeks ago and it’s been murder. It might be the reason for my grumpy posts of late.

Well I don’t like to exaggerate but I checked my finances since and I could buy now and not worry about HPI

Awooga Cough Cough

Guest Winners and Losers

I did it once a few years ago now though. When I went to pick them up at the post office I was hit with a 70 quid customs bill. I didn't pay it and sent the cigarettes back.

You just need to go down to your local council estate, there is a thriving business. Cartons for 30 quid, or so I've heard. :unsure:

I did it once a few years ago now though. When I went to pick them up at the post office I was hit with a 70 quid customs bill. I didn't pay it and sent the cigarettes back.

You just need to go down to your local council estate, there is a thriving business. Cartons for 30 quid, or so I've heard. :unsure:

You could also probably pick up a few 'naughty cigarettes' while you are there. :rolleyes:

80% of smokers will develop chronic respiratory illness.

It also gives you various forms of untreatable CANCER!

Give up now, I did ten years ago, and as you can see I'm now a stereotypical ex-smoker :D

80% of smokers will develop chronic respiratory illness.

It also gives you various forms of untreatable CANCER!

Give up now, I did ten years ago, and as you can see I'm now a stereotypical ex-smoker :D

What age were you when you quit and how long did you smoke for? Did you use will power?

What age were you when you quit and how long did you smoke for? Did you use will power?

Well I'm not dom, but I'm also a smug ex smoker willing to do a bit of preaching ;) I started smoking seriously 44 years ago, been given up over three years now. I went cold turkey, giving up was not a problem I've done it loads of times :D .......secret is you have to really wont to give up. And if you have the odd one whilst trying to give up, don't beat yourself up. Indeed even after a year you will get the odd craving for a ciggie, buy a packet and you'll choke on them, bet you don't get through more than four of them and you will realise you did the right thing stopping.

All good advice ...... BUT ...... I frikkin love smoking too much !! Sod my health - I'm gonna die anyway !!

In fact, growing old scares the the tar out of my lungs ...... I'd rather drop dead in my 50's or 60's than live to be a 100 .....

If I could afford it, I'd happily chain smoke half a dozen packs a day !!

As you can see ..... I kinda lack the will power !! :D

True, you can pick up cartons of 200 for about £25 from Dodgy Dave in most pubs anywhere in the country ...... but what interests (excites!) me is the non-branded dirt cheap cigs you can pick up for less than a pound a pack !!

One of those sites offers "Paramount" cigs for 80p a pack ...... Smokers Heaven !!

Had my first smoke aged 8. Smoked properly from about 12-23. My wife smoked too. She was 20 and on the pill when she got a pain in her leg. Went to the doc, found out it was a blood clot. He of course told her to give up smoking. That day we both smoked our last cigarette, Oct 1996.

It was tough but we had each other for support, which is more effective than any gum or patches.

Guest Guy_Montag

In fact, growing old scares the the tar out of my lungs ...... I'd rather drop dead in my 50's or 60's than live to be a 100 .....

Another smug ex-smoker here. I gave up because the girl I fancied had told me she would never date a smoker, I was 27 at the time. Surprisingly I didn't restart when we broke up, but anyway. Nicorette tablets worked for me.

Anyway my point is that before you drop dead, you might have an arm or leg amputated. You won't be able to climb the stairs. You could go on for years getting more & more disabled from your 50s while I'll still be hiking/diving & having a great time.

Guest Winners and Losers

That's it, I'm giving up. :(

I've reached the end of the road in my ability to obtain cheap cigarettes in any case. Better get paying that mortgage off.

apparently dieing from a smoke related illness is one of the worst ways to die, so dont say "im gonna anyway" because when ur lungs are a mush of black puss and your coughing up blood etc. you'll wish you could have died in your sleep of old age.

:)

I used a novel method of giving up tobacco.

I drank super turbo shandies in the afternoon (1pint stella, drink half add 1 double vodka and 1 lemonade alcopop). Then went to a cider house in the evening and drank the strong stuff that they sell in 1/2's. Then went to an armpit bar and continued to drink (so I am told) Im not much of a drinker so this hit me pretty hard. During this day i smoked 3 packs of vending machine ciggies and most of a 50g packet of Golden vag.

When I woke up the first thing I did was try to light a fag, gagged in a horrible way. Tried a few more times without success. Could not smoke or move for 3 days. When I recovered I had overcome the worst bit so just gave myself therapy by rolling everyones fags for a few months.

Job done.

I have not had any tobacco for 4 years or so. Smoked pure sensi for a while, but the smoke was still hindering my health so I took to "cooking" and a bit of vapourising which is much better. :)

dom-

I know the cancer thing is a bugger, but I was under the impression that a much lower proportion of people had the chronic problems you speak of. I know it had an effect on me and I was 25 when I gave up! Prefer hummus now

Guest Winners and Losers

Bit of medical fact for you all - only 12% of people with lung cancer survive. That is a very high mortality rate in comparison to other forms of cancer. It's a killer for sure. I should know, I'm a doctor FFS. :rolleyes:

After smoking about 20 a day for almost 10 years now ...... would most of the damage already be done now ??

Does the body "heal" itself if you quit ??

It takes 7 years for your lungs to cleam themsleves out, and I should know I am a trivia expert FFS. :rolleyes:

Guest Winners and Losers

After smoking about 20 a day for almost 10 years now ...... would most of the damage already be done now ??

Is that question to Dr WAL? :rolleyes:

Apparently it does, takes about 10 years. Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer, indeed some people who have never smoked get and die from lung cancer.

In a nutshell, you're a gonner. Just popping out for a fag now. That will be 20 quid thanks. ;)

It takes 7 years for your lungs to cleam themsleves out, and I should know I am a trivia expert FFS. :rolleyes:

I am far more convincing. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that while the increased risk of the big C receeds over time, the serious damage to your lung structure will never recover.

When you stop, your blood will sort itself out as the cells loaded with carbon monoxide get replaced. The smokers cough will disapear over time as snot cells are replaced with hairy cells, as less snot wil be made and it will be swept up out odf the way.

BUT:

Your lungs are in tip top condition when you are young, there is a massive surface area for oxygen exchange into the blood, I dunno a tennis court or two. As you get older from wear and tear they decline just like the rest of your body, and as far as I know (probably wrong as I am no expert) they do not repair theselves. The trick is to not bugger them up too much within your lifetime.

Smoking increases the rate of this decline. I think this affects different people differently. I thought that only 15% of smokers get COPD (see below) but I guess some die of cancer first. 80% of COPD sufferers are smokers though. When you stop smoking the rate of decline will slow. However I think some nasty inflamation in your lungs will remain doing more than normal damage for a while. So if you are one of the unlucky ones and you continue to smoke you could find yourself with COPD in your late fifties (thats a guess), which means a slow terminal decline with bugger all decent therapy.

nicked this off the net:

COPD collectively refers to a group of diseases including emphysema and chronic bronchitis reflecting irreversible loss of airways function that can ultimately result in death. The disease is characterized by chronic inflammation, excessive mucus production and a progressive loss of alveolar (air sac) structure in addition to systemic complications such as decline in muscle mass and inflammation, chronic cough and dyspnoea. The greatest risk factor is cigarette smoke

I aint no bloody doctor though. If I was I would be swimming in all my money, maybe playing a hole of golf not sat on this forum :P

lung.jpg

post-2255-1147465892.jpg

Bit of medical fact for you all - only 12% of people with lung cancer survive. That is a very high mortality rate in comparison to other forms of cancer. It's a killer for sure. I should know, I'm a doctor FFS. :rolleyes:

Ah so your the Doctor and the girl shakerbaby is the teacher, it gets bl**dy more complicated as we go along.

BTW my father in law gave up three months ago after smoking since he was fifteen. He will be 90 in November.

Guest Winners and Losers

Ah so your the Doctor and the girl shakerbaby is the teacher, it gets bl**dy more complicated as we go along.

BTW my father in law gave up three months ago after smoking since he was fifteen. He will be 90 in November.

Shakerbaby is no girl. I should know FFS. :rolleyes:

At 90, I'd probably keep going. ;)

I used a novel method of giving up tobacco.

I drank super turbo shandies in the afternoon (1pint stella, drink half add 1 double vodka and 1 lemonade alcopop). Then went to a cider house in the evening and drank the strong stuff that they sell in 1/2's. Then went to an armpit bar and continued to drink (so I am told) Im not much of a drinker so this hit me pretty hard. During this day i smoked 3 packs of vending machine ciggies and most of a 50g packet of Golden vag.

When I woke up the first thing I did was try to light a fag, gagged in a horrible way. Tried a few more times without success. Could not smoke or move for 3 days. When I recovered I had overcome the worst bit so just gave myself therapy by rolling everyones fags for a few months.

Job done.

I have not had any tobacco for 4 years or so. Smoked pure sensi for a while, but the smoke was still hindering my health so I took to "cooking" and a bit of vapourising which is much better.

dom-

I know the cancer thing is a bugger, but I was under the impression that a much lower proportion of people had the chronic problems you speak of. I know it had an effect on me and I was 25 when I gave up! Prefer hummus now

You are a mighty fountain of piss for sure, but what is the most stoned you've been, how about acid?

Discuss>

Guest Winners and Losers

You are a mighty fountain of piss for sure, but what is the most stoned you've been, how about acid?

Discuss>

Nobody does acid anymore. :rolleyes: How about pills, charlie, k? Most stoned - when I was 14. My friends Mum had to drive me home. We told her I had period pain. :lol:

Nobody does acid anymore. :rolleyes: How about pills, charlie, k? Most stoned - when I was 14. My friends Mum had to drive me home. We told her I had period pain. :lol:

Maybe, but back in 1990 it was a revelation to me, although most of my peers were pillin' it.

Can't go near weed these days, gives me the fear you know.

Guest Winners and Losers

Maybe, but back in 1990 it was a revelation to me, although most of my peers were pillin' it.

Can't go near weed these days, gives me the fear you know.

:lol:

Showing your age? Yes, I remember acid in the 90's, observationally of course. I think the pills of the 90's were different to the pills of today. I have actually seen people turn schizo from smoking too much weed too young. I could go into things like THC, but I won't blind you with science. I should know FFS, I'm a brain scientist. :rolleyes:

Discuss>

Well my month in amsterdam was tops for consumption, and I ate a cake once that just made me lose a day. But the most crazy time was when I was a youngster. It was the first time I had some sensi, up till that time i had just been smoking red seal. I met up with a friend of mine and his home made bong. Fantastic thing quality craftsmanship. Anyway we had some weed that looked and smelt a bit different and we thought we had been ripped off. So we bonged the 1/8 in a bowl each hoping to get a little bit of a buzz. I can just remember this white fog coming down in front of vision and giggling madly. It was ******ed up. I had only popped up for a couple of hours. I was in the middle of a field unable to speak or walk, eyes like the devil and I had to go home to my mum for tea!

WAL- all of those substances you mentioned are bad. I wouldn’t touch em with a shitty stick. Never have, but each to their own plenty of my friends loved pills at uni.

I am not really a fan of acid. Only did it a couple of times. It is certainly an eye opener, but it can be like someone takes away your soul and locks it in a box for 12 hours while you look at al the traces wondering who the hell you are.

However I liked shrooms which are pretty similar, but I used to grow the little buggers so I knew exactly how much I was getting. I was pretty good at it actually. I once grew some that were well over a foot tall with caps almost 6 inches across. My house mate did not take too kindly to me pasteurising the poo in a pillow case on the cooker though :)

Funny though. I am boring these days. getting stoned is a relatively rare thing :( though I will always love it I would rather spend time on my bicycle