House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Housing Market "gone Dead" In Bristol

Had 3 phone calls out of the blue over the last few days from Bristol EAs (registered with a long time ago - I never phone them) - every time I've asked them about the state of the market (e.g. "Has it gone quiet then") - all have told me that the market has quietened right down. This morning's response was "It's gone dead."

Edited by gruffydd

Isn't that where the Blairs bought their son a student flat and it's values gone down since?

Indeed.

They bought on about the most polluted and congested street in Bristol.

Had 3 phone calls out of the blue over the last few days from Bristol EAs (registered with a long time ago - I never phone them) - every time I've asked them about the state of the market (e.g. "Has it gone quiet then") - all have told me that the market has quietened right down. This morning's response was "It's gone dead."

Hmm its not looking good, see:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...03&endyear=2006

looks like they've priced themselves to a standstill.

I'm sorry but this is not the case. Bristol is in the midst of a mini boom at present.

My sister/boyfriend and 2 cousins are looking to buy.

Sister looked at a property in Windmill Hill, gone within the week at full asking.

I'd love to hear different but it's not what I'm hearing.

Any 'real' anecdotal evidence of Bristol market would be really appreciated so that I can forward to my sister to put her off buying!

I notice the graph is heading down already.

I suspect that mass sackings at Lloyds-TSB, Orange, MOD, etc. are having an impact.

However Halifax report to April 2006 was down 4% in Bristol although this doesn't tie in with what appears to be happening. Perhaps this is top end properties reducing whilst the boom is in the FTB/BTL section?

This is real anecdotal - actually, hadn't even heard of 1 of the EAs - J Coleman??????

Also spoke to a Besley Hill - they have a good overall view of the city.

Areas mentioned - Kingswood, Fishponds, Whitchurch, Hartcliffe.

Windmill Hill - I know it well - an area that's been quite 'strong' over the recent year - v convenient location (I have relations who live there and visit the area from time to time). Warn your sister about the crime problems there though! Cousin had car broken into / vandalised 3 times in the past year!!!!!!!

Not sure that the graphs posted earlier point to a mini-boom either!

What are these figures based on? What report?

I believe Land registry data.

The asking price index uses the asking prices of 500,000 properties, im always confused by asking price is soo much higher than the actual average LR sold price. In worcester its currently 34k above the average selling price on terraces!

My mates girlfriend is an EA in Bristol. I was talking to her in the pub and she said that houses are moving but people have been getting big discounts on asking prices. Having said that, a girl in our office has just paid the asking price for a place in Bradley Stoke but she didn't negotiate on price as she "really wanted the house"

Edited by 50:50

Sadly Broke? I find myself wondering if that name will come back in a few years time...

I very much reckon so.

Although why anybody would want to live there is beyond me.

I'd feel like a rat in a maze.

Sadly Broke. I used to live there. Why does everyone slag it off so much? It has wonderful roadlinks with the rest of the country, with the M4 M5 interchange a stones throw away. You can even hear the traffic and smell the fumes from your back garden it's so close! It also has a really big Tescos surrounded by a wasteland that was supposed to be the thriving hub of the area, only the developers ran out of money. The houses all look exactly the same so there's no chance of petty jealousy over the neighbours having a better looking house. Your sex life will always be lively as most of the youthful residents are all into partner swapping, whether they like it or not! And if you like roundabouts you will be in your element. The place is heaven for roundabout enthusiasts, whatever the age group!

I too am registered with a number of agents in Bristol as I was looking to buy before I lost my job. I received a couple of calls from agents last night as well. Maybe things have hit a wall.

p.s. If anyone is looking for houses in the Redfield, St George, whitehall, Easton area be very wary when dealing with Parks estate agents.

:)

Edited by devslim

They are still trying it on though!

Sold for 242K 29th July 2005

Up for 290K!!!!!!

http://www.andrewsonline.co.uk/buyers/prop...ls.asp?id=27437

A few are at least going stc in bs36 bs16 where I look most of the time. A few things that have been sat around seem to be sold, but I am waiting to see (hoping) they come back on.

hmm, well i've some friends trying to move from Bath to Bristol (have sold their 1 bed flat) and every time they call about a property it's already sold... ;)