House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Vast Numbers Of E Europeans Underpaid In Uk

http://www.onrec.com/content2/news.asp?ID=11680

Eastern Europeans — over here, over qualified and underpaid
11/05/2006 10:20:00
New research released today reveals that the vast majority of Eastern Europeans living and working in the UK are highly qualified yet vastly underpaid. The latest research compiled by Fusion Magazine, the leading magazine for Central and Eastern Europeans living and working in the UK, highlights this massive disparity. According to the results
- 77% are qualified to either degree or postgraduate level
- 76% speak very good English
And yet
- 46% earn under £20,000 per annum and
- Catering/hospitality is the biggest employment category
The implications are clear — most people are not using their qualifications and working in the poorly paid hospitality sector to make ends meet.
Another interesting statistic to come out of the research is that a massive 64% of readers are currently not on the worker registration scheme. This means that there are considerably more CEE residents residing in the UK than the official 345,000 quoted by the Government.

They are in a difficult position as they can't afford homes unless multiple families go in together or unless houses fall in price which is made more difficult as more E Europeans arrive seeking the higher paid jobs. With jobs dissappearing in the UK back to E Europe (Peugeot for example) and Asia it seems odd that they are coming to a dying manufacturing economy?

Edited by Realistbear

- 77% are qualified to either degree or postgraduate level

- 76% speak very good English

And yet

- 46% earn under £20,000 per annum and

- Catering/hospitality is the biggest employment category

The implications are clear — most people are not using their qualifications and working in the poorly paid hospitality sector to make ends meet.[/indent]

´

"Catering/hospitality is the biggest employment category"

doesnt imply..

"most people are not using their qualifications and working in the poorly paid hospitality sector to make ends meet"

´

"Catering/hospitality is the biggest employment category"

doesnt imply..

"most people are not using their qualifications and working in the poorly paid hospitality sector to make ends meet"

If they cant earn enough - they know where they can go...

like i care about E europeans unable to afford houses when ive lived in UK all my life and cant bloody afford one!!

Im off to hijack a plane and fly it back to the UK where ill get treated better!!

Spin, 77% of respondents were degree or university educated. That's not the same as those proportions of immigrants - if you were not supposed to be here or were here cash in hand, you won't be filling in surveys, will you ?

Try Latvians and Lithuanians too - at least as many old German exec saloons round my way with three young blokes in them working till 10pm on houses near me. The Brits are all off by 5pm. Nothing wrong with the enterprise, if they want to work, feel free - the problem I have is that we can't send one of our lazy gits to Poland for each one of theirs we welcome.

Edited by Rachman

I had a long and very interesting talk with a guy from the Czech Republic last night about this. He's highly qualified, on a contract so he's not your typical EE worker.

In his office there are two cleaners from Slovakia. One of them lives in a house with ten people in it, of various nationalities, who do all the jobs in the miracle economy that no Brit will do. Anyone notice a couple of years ago in the SE that sense of disintegration, of signs for staff in all the shop windows? Guy I knew here who works for one of the big shops said they just couldn't get staff, that they were offering their staff bonuses if they could find new workers. The sorts of tensions that should have resulted in rising wages and some rebalancing within society?

Well what's happened is the EEs have come over by the hundreds of thousands (I live near the railway station in Cambridge and you can literally see them come off the train, small suitcase/holdall each, all early-mid 20s) and taken all these jobs. Because however sh!te their lives may seem to us, apparently they're better than they are back home, where there are no jobs and they would probably be destitute. The Slovak cleaner works two jobs (cleaner and dishwasher) and is apparently planning to be here ten years! The bulk of them seem to be here for the money.

This is putting a floor under housing and saving the BTLers. Just BTW.

The consequence is to block wage adjustments and create a vicious two-tier economy. The EEs are all in dead-end jobs; what a surprise. There just aren't enough good jobs in the UK for all the UK graduates and skilled/trained workers as it is. FIne, yes, let's have the EEs as a sort of slave class who are willing to be exploited (because clearly that's why employers are so keen on them - they work hard and turn up on time). The fact that the UK manufacturing industry is evaporating isn't the point - they're here because however sh!te it might be, it's better than where they come from. And that's the rub. Because it's preventing readjustments within our society and leading to huge social tensions. When the BNP work out how to oppose mass white immigration that'll be scary.

They're not unperpaid, this is as much of a myth as BMV for housing. The medium to longer term consequences of this mass immigration is scary. But what's clear is that it's good for those with good jobs and who already own housing, as the EE effect is to suppress inflation and provide service (there's always someone on the till at M&S now when you're buying your sun-dried prosciutta or whatever it is). They live in HMOs on the other side of town so they're good for BTLers and aren't so close that the well-off have to see how they live. So for 60/70% of the population including the whole of the media/political classes they're a good thing. But for those outside the housing market who aren't particularly bright or well-qualified it's becoming a nightmare. I suspect increasingly politicians are going to be made well aware of this.

All the poles at my friends work place are payed the same as the Uk workers, he just prefers employing the polish as they have a much better work ethic, turn up on time, never sick, don't moan, good laugh, work hard and are fun to go out drinking with.

What would you rather have for the same price? A 20 year old polish guy/girl with good work ethic and degree or a 20 year old chav with no GCSE's and thinks the world owes him a living and only wants to go on fag breaks ever 5 mins.

ril

Edited by ril

So what do they spend cash on? Beer? Food? very dodgy cars?

Most of them are saving, so they can go home and buy a house outright, start a business etc.

All the poles at my friends work place are payed the same as the Uk workers, he just prefers employing the polish as they have a much better work ethic, turn up on time, never sick, don't moan, good laugh, work hard and are fun to go out drinking with.

Of course they do: they know that working in Britain for a few years will set them up for life back home.

Tell me where I can go to work in unskilled jobs for a few years in order to do the same in the UK, and I'll be off tomorrow. As will most of the rest of the oh-so-lazy British population.

It's not 'laziness', it's the appallingly high cost of living which makes working hard a mug's game for anyone who has to live in this country.

Edited by MarkG

Vast Numbers Of E Europeans Underpaid In Uk, Immigrants need to be paid more to afford houses

Also...

Vast Numbers Of Indigenous British Underpaid In UK, Indigenous British need to be paid more to afford houses.

Like it's only a problem for immigrants :rolleyes:

Of course they do: they know that working in Britain for a few years will set them up for life back home.

Tell me where I can go to work in unskilled jobs for a few years in order to do the same in the UK, and I'll be off tomorrow. As will most of the rest of the oh-so-lazy British population.

It's not 'laziness', it's the appallingly high cost of living which makes working hard a mug's game for anyone who has to live in this country.

Was about to say the same thing. If you told a polish person that they would have to work 7am to 10pm for the rest of their life then they might not be as enthusiastic. The fact is if they work hard for 2-3 maybe more years then they can buy a house outright back home. Also similar to when people go traveling living in (even working) in a new country is exciting i.e. you are learning a new language, meeting new people. However you always have your home country to return to.

The problem for uk nationals (Chav or non chavs) is that they have little chance of living a life in the UK without housing payments sucking up loads of their spare income. And although I could envisage living in a new country their are always ties to the country you were born in. I would really hate this country if the only way you could get on is to work 80 hours a week.

Also the fact that HPI has been running at 20% does the opposite of favouring the hard working. Any chav who bought a house 10 years ago is sitting on a gold mine. People who work hard are seeing others that sit on their **** earning more via HPI.

They don't need to afford to buy, they just need to afford to rent.

That would be in keeping with them coming here to build up enough capital to set themselves up back in their home nations. Why would they need to buy if they're only going to be here short term?

If you want to see the future look to the Netherlands. In the 1990s they had a similar economic boom with massive immigration from Eastern Europe and North Africa. Many of the same characteristics were apparent there i.e. it was said that the Dutch were too lazy to do certain jobs which the immigrants filled. You didn't even have to speak Dutch to work in these jobs. Nowadays places which I formerly knew as green fields are sprawling housing estates and I've been told that it is almost impossible to get a job if you don't speak Dutch. I believe that the reason why the Dutch voted against the EU constitution was disatisfaction with being overrun by such a massive migration. I think that alot of this negativity is now focussed against Muslims.

http://www.onrec.com/content2/news.asp?ID=11680

Another interesting statistic to come out of the research is that a massive 64% of readers are currently not on the worker registration scheme. This means that there are considerably more CEE residents residing in the UK than the official 345,000 quoted by the Government.
Remember the Government assured us in advance that only 13,000 maximum would come here per annum.
Time for us to withdraw from the political side of the EU to position similar to that held by Norway and kick out the EE's.
Also it's amazing the level of sneering abuse heaped upon the indigenous working class - chav, lazy, scrounger etc.
Time to put our own people first.

The big vote for the BNP in last week's local elections is a sign that the poorly educated white working class is feeling squeezed by migrant workers and unaffordable housing.

In London, Labour MPs revealed that housing was the number one issue on the door step.

The one good thing that the BNP vote has achieved is to make housing a political priority again.

Also it's amazing the level of sneering abuse heaped upon the indigenous working class - chav, lazy, scrounger etc.

Isn't the abuse directed at the non-working class, or if you prefer, underclass?

Isn't the abuse directed at the non-working class, or if you prefer, underclass?

The welfare class: or, at least, the ones who could work but don't.

Quite frankly, the local chavs are despicable scum, and I'd celebrate if they were wiped out. With any luck one of them will get a fatal STD and they'll all be dead within a week.

You can choose who you work for. You can't choose who the government steals money from you to support on the dole.

However, I'm hardly surprised that the chavification of the British people is moving up the social ladder out of the welfare class.

Don't they have 'CHAVS' in Poland then?

My impression is that the E European 'elites' are doing very well thank you - it's the poor and the underclass who are rushing over here - just like the Russian labourers working on the farm next door or the waitresses in the local cafe.

Edited by gruffydd

The welfare class: or, at least, the ones who could work but don't.

Quite frankly, the local chavs are despicable scum, and I'd celebrate if they were wiped out. With any luck one of them will get a fatal STD and they'll all be dead within a week.

:o I'm astounded at the vitriol levelled here. Are all "Chavs" despicable scum???? Sounds like blatent prejudice to me.

I'm astounded at the vitriol levelled here.

I take it you don't have to deal with chavs on a regular basis.